Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

That's a pretty sick read. And unlike JI, not at all believable.
    India is a tough place....there are lots of children his age doing far worse things to make a living... I personally saw it in Nepal.

If they can make some money out of it good for them. It is not remotely comparable to the kids in the US doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike200 View Post
      Yes, I still consider what Jakob said in the interview to be fanciful tall tales and you have for sure not verified any of it. That several on this forum seems to believe that in this millennium any parent, from affluent Western Europe or North American, would condone doing what Jakob is reported saying that he did, is just surreal.
      I would not condone it myself, but that doesn't mean there aren't any crazy parents around in any country, affluent or not. And frankly, I think child distance runners are a more healthy thing than child beauty pageant or talent show contestants.
      Last edited by Powell; 04-02-2021, 07:07 PM.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

If many of us were reluctant to accept JI's interview ver batim, I would hope we would also be a bit suspicious of this Indian report. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
          I think child distance runners are a more healthy thing than child beauty pageant or talent show contestants.
          I've seen plenty of stress fractures and joint problems from parental pushing. Several of our girls, who were trained by their dads, had amenorrhea, which can lead to bone and pituitary problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mike200 View Post
            Yes, I still consider what Jakob said in the interview to be fanciful tall tales and you have for sure not verified any of it. That several on this forum seems to believe that in this millennium any parent, from affluent Western Europe or North American, would condone doing what Jakob is reported saying that he did, is just surreal. Jakob is not from the Rift valley, neither did he grow up during the 70s. That Jakob completed a race which may or may not have been 5 miles in less than 30 minutes when he was maybe 10 years old changes nothing. Likely "IloveFelix" cherry picked the best result he could find? Where was the article about his time and threshold pace published, the local school paper? Sure, lets agree to disagree I loveFelix, it seems nothing will make you change your mind, and there is no way I will believe that any North American or Western European 9 year old was running almost 100 miles a week some 10 years ago.
            Just as Atticus's BS-meter went off earlier in the thread, my troll-alarm is now chiming loud, mike200.

In reply 31 I asked five rhetorical questions. You responded in reply 36:

"you come back with your own "questions", which really are nothing but some more fanciful tall tales which for the most part are impossible to verify."

My response in reply 39 was to verify that the content of my rhetorical questions were accurate. When I in my opinion had done that I asked you:

"Do you still consider my questions as “fanciful tall tales which for the most part are impossible to verify”? If yes, please explain which and why."

I never asked you if you still consider what Jakob said, in the pod, fanciful tall tales.

Why would I try to verify something I all along have made clear that there is no way I can know if is true or false???

I assume you are well aware of the above and that you intentionally decided to change the meaning of what it is I was asking. I think so because you do not seem to have any good reply to what I actually did ask.

If I am correct about the above, it would be typical forum-troll behavior, but who knows, maybe I am wrong and it was an honest mistake?

Now to answer your questions, even if i guess they are of a rhetorical nature, as you seemed to get upset with the fact that I did not engage with your previous questions, which I also expect were 100% rhetorical;

No, the article was not published in the local school paper. The circulation of the paper I linked to was about 70 000 in 2012, when it was published, it was the seventh largest in Norway at that point in time (https://medienorge.uib.no/english/?c...is&queryID=353). It was also published in at least three other newspapers of a somewhat similar size, as these are regional papers and in a way are targeting different media markets and as they were/are cooperating about their sports news sections. Total circulation for these papers was probably in the range of some 300 000 copies. Furthermore a TV-recording of Jakob's test exists.

The race from the article where Jakob ran 29.56 took place April 30th 2011. As birth certificates tend to be accurate in Norway, it is safe to assume that Jakob was in deed ten when he ran this time. The results of this race is still available online, let me know if you want me to produce a link.

I have not measured the course so I don't know if it is actually 8 KM, but it is listed as 8.2KM and based on the finishing times of decent athletes that distance seems very plausible.

No, I did not cherry pick this result. I picked this result because it has been reported in tons of articles about Jakob, so many people seem to know about it. If I were to cherry pick a result I likely would have mentioned the 27.38 he ran on the same course the next year when he was 11 or the 26.21 he ran in 2013 while being 12, or one of his many unofficial age world records on the track.

To put Jakob's times on the 8.2KM course in proper perspective, Filip Ingebrigtsen ran 27.41 in 2010, just after he turned 17 and Henrik Ingebrigtsen ran 24.44 in 2011, when he was 20.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree, mike200. Personally I think what Jakob said is true, but I would not be shocked if Atticus is right, even if Jakob is likely to have a rather good overview of what he ran as it is reported that Gjert have been recording all the sessions of their group in great details.

I believe there is a good chance it is true no matter how crazy it sounds to me, as so many things I know to be true about the Ingebrigtsens also sounds completely unbelievable.
            Last edited by IloveFelix; 04-02-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I sense some folks won't be around long if this keeps up...especially on such a trivial subject...
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-02-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                I sense some folks won't be around long if this keeps up...especially on such a trivial subject...
                If I am somehow out of line, I have no problem apologizing! The last thing I want to do is to violate the rules of the forum.

I asked:

"Do you still consider my questions as “fanciful tall tales which for the most part are impossible to verify”? If yes, please explain which and why."

To me it looks like mike answered:

"Yes, I still consider what Jakob said in the interview to be fanciful tall tales and you have for sure not verified any of it."

All things considered it seems likely to me that he is intentionally answering something completely different than what I asked. When that happens I will often suspect deliberate trolling. However, if I am wrong it will be far from the first time that has happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I've seen plenty of stress fractures and joint problems from parental pushing. Several of our girls, who were trained by their dads, had amenorrhea, which can lead to bone and pituitary problems.
                  I clearly stated I don't think parental pushing in T&F is right. I just said it's not as bad as what some other parents do.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Parental pushing is clearly not a good thing. As we are discussing the Ingebrigtsens, I will add some background info.

Gjert Ingebrigtsen has seven children. Six sons and one daughter.

Based on "Team Ingebrigtsen" it seems like:

Two of the boys Martin and Kristoffer stopped training with Gjert at an early age and nonetheless seem to be on good terms with their father.

The daugter Ingrid, who ran an 18 flat 5KM last year at the age of 14, it seems was pushing somewhat hard to start training from an early age, but did not get to start "for real" before she was about 10. She seems to be dissatisfied with the attention her father pays to her training during the summer months.

It is obviously impossible for me to know, but I am far from sure that Gjert is pushing too hard unless the kids themselves are eager.
                    Last edited by IloveFelix; 04-02-2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IloveFelix View Post

If I am somehow out of line, I have no problem apologizing! The last thing I want to do is to violate the rules of the forum.

you are not out of line

Comment

Somehow, I am completely unaffected by whether Jakobs training history is being accurately related or reported

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          Somehow, I am completely unaffected by whether Jakobs training history is being accurately related or reported
                          I would be too, if I didn't think that younger HSers read it and assume that's what they should do.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            I would be too, if I didn't think that younger HSers read it and assume that's what they should do.
                            that sky-is-falling premise has been floated for more than a half-century, at least since kids started reacting to Jim Ryun's ungodly workouts

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

that sky-is-falling premise has been floated for more than a half-century, at least since kids started reacting to Jim Ryun's ungodly workouts
                              Indeed...as mentioned many times before....everyone from 1968 on for several years was doing 20 quarters regularly....high mileage...etc....we survived...
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-03-2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                                Yeah, and I take it personally. As a HS coach for over 25 years, I have seen many kids not finish their season because of over-training. They absolutely are influenced by what they read on the web. We had a kid recently who did his 50mpw regimen with us, then another 40 on top of that. He finished the season in a walking boot from a stress reaction. Only the very strongest athletes can do over-mileage without hurting themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X