Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Greek Federation president. It’s a woman, finally...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Greek Federation president. It’s a woman, finally...

Sofia Sakorafa, is the new president of the Greek track and field federation. Ms Sakorafa broke the javelin world record if you remember back in 1982. She has served as member of the Greek parliament as well. She defeated another great lady, Ms Tasoula Kelesidou. This is the first time ever that a woman is elected a president in one of the oldest track and field federations of this world!
    Last edited by lefterisp; 03-31-2021, 11:51 PM.

Brilliant. And it is equally impressive to see a thrower leading the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by lefterisp View Post
      the oldest track and field federation of this world
      Are you sure that's correct? I realize there's been no continuity in the existence of the British and US NGBs, so technically the current federations are not that old, but aren't there any other countries beating Greece in that department?
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

Are you sure that's correct? I realize there's been no continuity in the existence of the British and US NGBs, so technically the current federations are not that old, but aren't there any other countries beating Greece in that department?
        Ok I see. AAU is from 1878. But the Greek one is very old too. On January 11th, 1897, representatives from 28 Greek sport clubs gathered at the Panellinios gymnasium at 2pm and they started the process that eventually produced the official track and field federation (it actually included few more sports) by February 27 of that year. That was the date it was approved by the Greek parliament and the founding of the federation was officially listed in the government paper.

Spiridon Lambros was the first president.

Comment

The Amateur Athletic Association (AAA) in the UK was founded in 1880 as I can remember the centenary being 1980 (and I possess a copy of the 50th anniversary book from 1930).

Comment

Working...
          X