Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USATF Sprint Summit 2021

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Swirling headwinds are a nightmare, not only in approach distance, but in pole selection and standards placement!!
    I’m not sure I’ve seen a competition where everyone NH’d. It must have been a mess.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Dave View Post
      I’m not sure I’ve seen a competition where everyone NH’d. It must have been a mess.
      There were either getting stood up (too big a pole), or blowing through the bar (too soft a pole).

      Comment


      • #18
        It might just be the weather, but this is an inauspicious start to the USATF J2G Series.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          It might just be the weather, but this is an inauspicious start to the USATF J2G Series.
          Oh, the weather is definitely a major factor. Relatively chilly (for here), damp, swirling winds. Fun early-season conditions.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by gm View Post
            Oh, the weather is definitely a major factor. Relatively chilly (for here), damp, swirling winds. Fun early-season conditions.
            You're there?!
            I don't even know where PVAMU is in Texas!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              You're there?!
              I don't even know where PVAMU is in Texas!
              No, I am looking out my window about 30 miles from there. PV is NW of Houston.

              Comment


              • #22
                Finally!

                m400H Kenny Selmon 48.87

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Dave View Post

                  I’m not sure I’ve seen a competition where everyone NH’d. It must have been a mess.
                  The only thing similar that I can remember is a men's 400 heat at the indoor world championships a few years ago in which the entire heat was disqualified for lane infractions.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    there's an even better one, dating back to either Kansas or Drake Relays in the late '60s (when I was a subscriber, not an employee) in which a guy ended up as the only runner in his heat of the 400H and false-started out.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Finally!

                      m400H Kenny Selmon 48.87
                      Finally? Finally what?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by steveu View Post
                        Finally? Finally what?
                        Since we've had a sub-49!
                        Year and a half is forever for an old quarter-mile stixer.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Since we've had a sub-49!
                          Year and a half is forever for an old quarter-mile stixer.
                          To be fair, (I think) Selmon was injured in 2019 and ofcourse had no reason to run in 2020 so this is definitely expected and good to see. Behind Benjamin there is a big field of athletes vying for the 2 other Olympic spots (Selmon, Holmes, Hall, Lattin, Robinson, Grimes etc.)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by ATK View Post
                            To be fair, (I think) Selmon was injured in 2019 and of course had no reason to run in 2020 so this is definitely expected and good to see.
                            There are dozens (hundreds?) of elite athletes we expect to do well when they've been away for a while, but we still hold our breath in their first outing. For every one who does well, there are many more who don't.

                            And I didn't mean just Selmon, it's been a year and a half since ANY American ran sub-49.
                            Last edited by Atticus; 04-04-2021, 04:43 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Since we've had a sub-49!
                              Year and a half is forever for an old quarter-mile stixer.
                              Ahh ... ok! I was thinking maybe you meant it was a PR for him, and I thought he'd run 48.12 previously. Thanks, Atticus.
                              Also interested because I'm a fan of his ... interviewed him multiple times in HS and I think his frosh year in college. Great kid, really enjoyed talking with him.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X