Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None of the top german women looked on PB shape during this first day, but as everyone knows, the place will be more important.
    1st or 2nd place for Grimm should allow her to get inside the bubble regardless of the score. As for Weissenberg, she will probably need something around 6170 and top 2.
    I expect Mayr, Huntington and Ahouanwanou will take the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. I bet Grimm will get in the bubble for 2-3 points with a hard fought 4th place and some ~6200 pts.
    Of course I can be completely wrong .

In the meantime, Y-Rod Auto-Q: 6437 (from her insta )
    A-Rod did 6313. I don't think it will be sufficient, but I haven't done the math.

Wiesiolek surely has a chance to get inside top 24.
    As much as I would like Pittomvils to qualify, he would need to finish top 2 to get enough ranking points.
    Last edited by nico21; 06-19-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Appreciate the updates... and I am now looking at above-mentioned Twitter site (thank you).

Not sure about A-Rod place points, but 6313 = 1136, + max 50 (2nd place Nationals), + best of 1177 = max avg of 1181, so right, likely not sufficient.

Comment

• So Ellenwood did it in the end. My excuses for doubting her .
        Screenshot 2021-06-20 165138.png

I don't have time to go into details but Ellenwood and Grimm will surely get two of the top24 spots.
        Fortunately for Grimm Huntington DNF'd.
        Last edited by nico21; 06-20-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Ellenwood with a PB and first place - kinda hard to predict that, but great for her. So the only movement this weekend is Ellenwood, Grimm and Y-Rod. Thanks.

So, with the above 3 in, looks like Mills, O'Connor and Gittens are out (assuming Ndama remains in). Sulek has a good chance to get in next week?
          Last edited by miketandf; 06-20-2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• So to make a long story short - I would say roughly 50-50 for four Americans with the Q.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            It would be best if at least 4 make it, so we have a choice. DW and ZZ are indeed strong possibilities, maybe even Simmons, but not all three of them. I'll go 40-60.

I think you own me a beer.
            If you will be in Eugene 2022 let me know and I will buy you one.

Comment

• Originally posted by olorin View Post
              So to make a long story short - I would say roughly 50-50 for four Americans with the Q. I think you own me a beer. If you will be in Eugene 2022 let me know and I will buy you one.
              Deal! I will be there and we'll sip together!

Comment

• Tyra Gittens just posted on Twitter that she's "going to be an Olympian!" I didn't want to be like "um, you sure?" But perhaps the Q list has been updated. Hard to know for sure until a few more country trials over the next week I thought.

Comment

• Ndama won't stay in. That is for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by dupontred View Post
                    Tyra Gittens just posted on Twitter that she's "going to be an Olympian!" I didn't want to be like "um, you sure?" But perhaps the Q list has been updated. Hard to know for sure until a few more country trials over the next week I thought.
                    as No. 23 (out of 24 that will be taken) she's certainly in a tenuous position

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

as No. 23 (out of 24 that will be taken) she's certainly in a tenuous position
                      Very tenuous, as the WA multi lists are not updated until Wednesday, and after Ratingen, she would be out (as Grimm, Ellenwood move in).

Now, if Zaza is correct (and I trust Zaza), and Adama is out, then she would be back at 24, but that would assume no 3rd American, Sulek, etc.

BUT... she may not be referencing this at all with respect to the heptathlon, as she already has the Oly auto-Q (# 8 on list) in the long jump, and I bet that's what she's referring to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Be careful what ya wish for, huh? 8700 is a very steep hill. No pressure! Me and my big mouth (fat fingers?).
                        I'd take a top 3 at the OT and assurance he's on the team. And then let his freak flag fly high in Tokyo.
                        This was from April 2021, after his Spec Towns' meet. Here's what we all came up with... for Garrett's 8700 'Goal'. You were spot-on in where he could/should/did improve on... if you read your posts.

I am happy for him, and you... it's obvious there's a lot of us here who feel the same... and now it's time to "let his freak flag fly high in Tokyo". Congratulations.

ScantlingVs8700Goal.jpg

Comment

• Looking forward, the Tokyo decathlon could be a classic. Mayer as current world record holder, Kaul as current world champion, Warner as current world leader / 4th all-time and Scantling looking like he could go well over 8700. The WR is perhaps safe but we could see best ever marks for silver and bronze and fourth. I’m pleased to see Warner hasn’t done another deca, I think those extra competitions in 2015 and 2019 cost him gold at the world championships of those years

Comment

• Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                            This was from April 2021, after his Spec Towns' meet. Here's what we all came up with... for Garrett's 8700 'Goal'. You were spot-on in where he could/should/did improve on... if you read your posts. I am happy for him, and you... it's obvious there's a lot of us here who feel the same... and now it's time to "let his freak flag fly high in Tokyo". Congratulations.
                            Thanks. GS and I did talk about 8700 as 'the goal'. I worked out a new set of #s after the OT, which is interesting next to yours. NO JINX!!!
                            Mine just has a more doable 1500. We're still wondering where the HJ went, but that seems to be where he is now.
                            Yours Mine
                            100 10.65 10.60
                            LJ 7.51 7.50
                            SP 16.06 16.10
                            HJ 2.06 2.06
                            400 48.87 49.00
                            110H 14.12 13.90
                            DT 47 48
                            PV 5.18 5.20
                            JT 68.5 68
                            1500 4:46 4:55
                            8700 8700
                            I'm just thrilled he won here, but I'm sure he has his sights set higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by miketandf View Post

BUT... she may not be referencing this at all with respect to the heptathlon, as she already has the Oly auto-Q (# 8 on list) in the long jump, and I bet that's what she's referring to.
                              Very good call.
                              I was very upset by her not qualifying to Tokyo. I am glad that she will be there even if not in the Heptathlon. In the last few years we had few Caribbean multi-eventers seems that won the NCAA but largely underperform afterwards for various reasons. Hopefully, Gittens will be in future majors, threatening global medals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Thanks. GS and I did talk about 8700 as 'the goal'. I worked out a new set of #s after the OT, which is interesting next to yours. NO JINX!!!
                                Mine just has a more doable 1500. We're still wondering where the HJ went, but that seems to be where he is now.
                                Yours Mine
                                100 10.65 10.60
                                LJ 7.51 7.50
                                SP 16.06 16.10
                                HJ 2.06 2.06
                                400 48.87 49.00
                                110H 14.12 13.90
                                DT 47 48
                                PV 5.18 5.20
                                JT 68.5 68
                                1500 4:46 4:55
                                8700 8700
                                I'm just thrilled he won here, but I'm sure he has his sights set higher.
                                I am a Scantling fan ever since his second year in college. For me the happiest Scantling moment was the new PB in the DT after two miserable throws. As I posted few times before, I thought (and still) think that ~50m is in the near future of Scantling. He is too good a shot putter not to be able to further improve his mark.

I was also extremely happy that he performed to his best in an important competition. In yesteryears he sometimes set a good mark early season in Georgia and underperform (relative to expectation) in Eugene. Indeed, his best mark before the weekend was set in Athens and not in Hayward field. This weekend he show that Scantling V2 is also a good competitor that can bring his best when the chips are down. I believe that Scantling has three/four majors in him and I hope that (at least) once it will translate into a medal winning performance.

Question to Atticus - if there were an Olympic medals on the line would you take your prediction (4:55), Mike's (4:46) or mine (a new PB)?

On a personal note - I never coached in my life, but being a sport dad (although only at national level so far) I can relate to the joy and pride you must feel. So very warm congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                                X