Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 multi-event

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gh has written time and time again on why USATF championships don't get moved around the country as a tactic to develop the sport (or just make travel easier for some). For those that keep forgetting, USATF is reliant on local organising committees to bid for rights. If you only get one bidder, guess where the championships go!

    WA is in exactly the same situation for their competitions. The USA did not organise and bid for a combined event competition able to get GL status but other countries did. That's why they got GL ranked competitions and the USA didn't. How hard is that to understand?

    If USATF didn't ask for bids and/or local organisers couldn't be bothered to organise one themselves, that's not Euro conspiracy, it's a lack of USA organisation and entrepreneurship.

    The Gotzis competition has been organised solely by local volunteers since 1975 and if they decided not to do that anymore there would be no Gotzis ever again despite what WA might want or need. Even if all the Euro combined events meets closed down, there would still not be a GL CE meet in the USA unless a LOC committed to the same workload.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by El Toro View Post
      gh has written time and time again on why USATF championships don't get moved around the country as a tactic to develop the sport (or just make travel easier for some). For those that keep forgetting, USATF is reliant on local organising committees to bid for rights. If you only get one bidder, guess where the championships go!

      WA is in exactly the same situation for their competitions. The USA did not organise and bid for a combined event competition able to get GL status but other countries did. That's why they got GL ranked competitions and the USA didn't. How hard is that to understand?

      If USATF didn't ask for bids and/or local organisers couldn't be bothered to organise one themselves, that's not Euro conspiracy, it's a lack of USA organisation and entrepreneurship.

      The Gotzis competition has been organised solely by local volunteers since 1975 and if they decided not to do that anymore there would be no Gotzis ever again despite what WA might want or need. Even if all the Euro combined events meets closed down, there would still not be a GL CE meet in the USA unless a LOC committed to the same workload.
      Exactly. There is a reason why Eugene 2022 will be the first WC on US soil ever, and it's not because WA is eurocentric ... just look at the great success of Osaka, Doha or Daegu.

      Comment


      • Paweł Wiesiołek 8333 PB and it looks like he'll make it to Tokyo, unless there have been multiple new marks this week I'm not aware of. Ada Sułek scored 6240 after a disappointing LJ and it looks like she's just outside the top 24 unless there are a couple of withdrawals.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Powell View Post
          Paweł Wiesiołek 8333 PB and it looks like he'll make it to Tokyo, unless there have been multiple new marks this week I'm not aware of. Ada Sułek scored 6240 after a disappointing LJ and it looks like she's just outside the top 24 unless there are a couple of withdrawals.
          Incredible. In his fifth decathlon of the year, fifth in six weeks. The second he finishes though, with one PV NM, one DT NM and one JT DNS.

          Comment


          • So, after the first (and last ?) outings of the two heptathlon favorites, I must say we can take nothing for granted. Thiam and KJT possess some margin but they don't seem to be fit enough to spare. Behind them the Americans will capitalize on every mistake though I don't know what to think about Kunz. At age 28 she's done something I haven't yet seen (I'm not that old but still) : a better PB (6703) than her best potential heptathlon (sum of PBs = 6699). On one hand this means she probably overperformed in Eugene, on the other we can assume she's got some more in the tank. Krizsan is an obvious threat for the podium, as is Vetter. Mayr (formerly Preiner) far from the form she showed in 2019.

            Comment


            • Vetter is looking very good, and she has her sparkle back, something she said she lost in 2019, hence her DNF (she just couldn't motivate herself to run the 800m.) I think Vetter will be on the podium.

              I'm pretty sure KJT will do another couple of meets before Tokyo. Her 1.84 HJ last night had a lot of fouls, suggesting technical issues, as opposed to fitness and jumping ability (she registered 10 jumps, and only got over her opening height of 1.75 on her third attempt). Hopefully this can be worked through, as she needs 1.9+ in Tokyo. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see what else she does - she could /is likely to be competing whilst still in heavy training and not competition tapered, as she is behind.

              Thiam has competed in 3 x 100mh, 2 x LJs, 2 x HJs, 1 x 200m and 1 x SP. The LJ, 200m and SP were all decent and on a par with what you would expect. However, her HJ is also down - I can't remember the last time she went into a Champs with a HJ best under 1.9 - and she has been frustrated with her 100mh, which has sat around 13.6. and which is down on previous seasons entering into a Champs.

              Off the back of her performances this year, I could easily envisage Thiam going 13.5, 1.92, 14.9, 24.6, 6.6, 49, 2:19 which is around 6700.
              With KJT, it's hard to tell, but she could be anywhere between 6500-6700. I doubt she will be much more over 6700.

              Comment


              • I've just seen a vid of KJT's 1.84 and interestingly it looked like she was running off 8 steps, whereas in Doha she was only doing 7 steps. So that is good news in itself.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                  gh has written time and time again on why USATF championships don't get moved around the country as a tactic to develop the sport (or just make travel easier for some). For those that keep forgetting, USATF is reliant on local organising committees to bid for rights. If you only get one bidder, guess where the championships go!

                  WA is in exactly the same situation for their competitions. The USA did not organise and bid for a combined event competition able to get GL status but other countries did. That's why they got GL ranked competitions and the USA didn't. How hard is that to understand?

                  If USATF didn't ask for bids and/or local organisers couldn't be bothered to organise one themselves, that's not Euro conspiracy, it's a lack of USA organisation and entrepreneurship.

                  The Gotzis competition has been organised solely by local volunteers since 1975 and if they decided not to do that anymore there would be no Gotzis ever again despite what WA might want or need. Even if all the Euro combined events meets closed down, there would still not be a GL CE meet in the USA unless a LOC committed to the same workload.
                  Back around 1992-93 I organized a potential committee to discuss bidding for the World Championships for Durham, NC. Pretty good committee with LeRoy Walker, Al Buehler, Don Paige (he lives in Durham now), Tom Butters (Duke AD), and all the proper politicos. Durham wanted to do it. At the time Duke had a good track in the football stadium - TAFNews once said it was the largest stadium in the USA where you could hold all events in the stadium.

                  On a trip to Europe I met with the IAAF and they were enthusiastic and wanted us to go for it. On return I had a conference call with USATF. I wouldn't give the name but I was told in that discussion, "We're not really sure we want the World Championships in the United States." The potential bid died after that discussion as my committee realized we could not go forward without support of USATF.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                    Vetter is looking very good, and she has her sparkle back, something she said she lost in 2019, hence her DNF (she just couldn't motivate herself to run the 800m.) I think Vetter will be on the podium.

                    I'm pretty sure KJT will do another couple of meets before Tokyo. Her 1.84 HJ last night had a lot of fouls, suggesting technical issues, as opposed to fitness and jumping ability (she registered 10 jumps, and only got over her opening height of 1.75 on her third attempt). Hopefully this can be worked through, as she needs 1.9+ in Tokyo. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see what else she does - she could /is likely to be competing whilst still in heavy training and not competition tapered, as she is behind.

                    Thiam has competed in 3 x 100mh, 2 x LJs, 2 x HJs, 1 x 200m and 1 x SP. The LJ, 200m and SP were all decent and on a par with what you would expect. However, her HJ is also down - I can't remember the last time she went into a Champs with a HJ best under 1.9 - and she has been frustrated with her 100mh, which has sat around 13.6. and which is down on previous seasons entering into a Champs.

                    Off the back of her performances this year, I could easily envisage Thiam going 13.5, 1.92, 14.9, 24.6, 6.6, 49, 2:19 which is around 6700.
                    With KJT, it's hard to tell, but she could be anywhere between 6500-6700. I doubt she will be much more over 6700.

                    Excellent analysis. The only thing I would add to this is the question mark that surrounds Thiam's elbow. Her shot put seems to be fine. But will Thiam be able to throw the javelin 49 meters in Tokyo??

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
                      But will Thiam be able to throw the javelin 49 meters in Tokyo??
                      Who was the famous Decathlete whose elbow was shot, threw 1 decent Jav throw in bad pain, just to get to the 1500? Bendlin?

                      edit - found it. The 1968 T&FN Oly issue:

                      Javelin Throw (4:30 p .m. ): One group of discus throwers Included five more than the other, and the javelin--with only one runway--was delayed. Massive black clouds were beginning to move closer to Estadio Olimplco but it wouldn't actually rain until the 1500. At one time, Bendlin specialized In thls event and reached a best of 260 '4½". But now he had a bad elbow, and had been taking only one throw in each of his recent decathlon competitions. Behind by a massive 206 points coming into this event, he let go tosses of 229'9½" and 227'2½"--and each time he bent over, holding his right elbow shooting with pain. Toomey had reached 206'½" in the first group ("I was upset with my performance her e. I expected to do better.'), and Bendlin would have to do better to be in striking distance at the 1500 start. With what may amount to his last Javelin toss ever (he must undergo surgery on his elbow so on), he made his final bid a tremendous effort: 247 '5 ", which raised his javelin point total a phenomenal 60 points to 940 and lifted him from fourth to second- -a position he traded with Kirst who managed only 187'1" (well below his best of 215'2')
                      Last edited by Atticus; 07-01-2021, 05:17 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TWalsh View Post


                        Excellent analysis. The only thing I would add to this is the question mark that surrounds Thiam's elbow. Her shot put seems to be fine. But will Thiam be able to throw the javelin 49 meters in Tokyo??
                        Thiam hasn't complained about her right elbow for a long time. She hasn't been using elbow tape since Doha.
                        I worry a bit more about the lack of practice and competing in this event.
                        She basically stopped training javelin for a long period last year and seems to count a lot on her acquired abilities.
                        On the other hand, if she has no issue with her technique you can expect a >50m in Tokyo. The elbow should be less of a problem than it was in Doha.
                        As for her 800m, it just adapts to her need. 2:16.00 is perfectly possible, but only if it makes any difference in terms of medal.

                        Having watched a couple of her competitions, she seems to have worked more on her strength than the technical aspects.
                        Increase in strength doesn't necessarily translate into better performances.
                        She looks slightly bulkier and less agile than a couple of years ago.

                        In general Thiam and KJT don't seem to worry a lot about their condition, so why would we?
                        Of course we cannot exclude they're bluffing a bit.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                          Back around 1992-93 I organized a potential committee to discuss bidding for the World Championships for Durham, NC. Pretty good committee with LeRoy Walker, Al Buehler, Don Paige (he lives in Durham now), Tom Butters (Duke AD), and all the proper politicos. Durham wanted to do it. At the time Duke had a good track in the football stadium - TAFNews once said it was the largest stadium in the USA where you could hold all events in the stadium.

                          On a trip to Europe I met with the IAAF and they were enthusiastic and wanted us to go for it. On return I had a conference call with USATF. I wouldn't give the name but I was told in that discussion, "We're not really sure we want the World Championships in the United States." The potential bid died after that discussion as my committee realized we could not go forward without support of USATF.
                          Wow! Blockers are amazing aren't they - all that effort to get into positions so that they can stop making an effort except to stymie anything worthwhile.

                          Comment


                          • So, worryingly, KJT only jumped 6.10 last night in Gateshead.
                            It's not known to be a fast track, and looking at what others jumped, you could maybe add 10cm to it for that alone, but this is one of her strongest events, and that's way off what she needs to medal, let alone have any chance of battling for gold. To off set that loss, she'd need to throw about another 8m in the JT, or over 2m in the SP...

                            If she cant get to 6.3 in Tokyo she may still be able to get a podium finish, but it's not looking great.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                              So, worryingly, KJT only jumped 6.10 last night in Gateshead.
                              It's not known to be a fast track, and looking at what others jumped, you could maybe add 10cm to it for that alone, but this is one of her strongest events, and that's way off what she needs to medal, let alone have any chance of battling for gold. To off set that loss, she'd need to throw about another 8m in the JT, or over 2m in the SP...

                              If she cant get to 6.3 in Tokyo she may still be able to get a podium finish, but it's not looking great.
                              She looked terrible, sluggish and no spring whatsoever off the board. If her jumping is a true reflection of where she's at, st the moment, then she likely has no show in Tokyo.

                              Comment


                              • Flash quote from Johnson-Thompson:

                                That proves that I'm 100% fit. I only got one no jump. It's proved I've made big strides and that I can come out and do the full five jumps off my full approach and hopefully over the coming weeks I can work on my technique a bit more and the distance will come in Tokyo I'm sure.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X