Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Back around 1992-93 I organized a potential committee to discuss bidding for the World Championships for Durham, NC. Pretty good committee with LeRoy Walker, Al Buehler, Don Paige (he lives in Durham now), Tom Butters (Duke AD), and all the proper politicos. Durham wanted to do it. At the time Duke had a good track in the football stadium - TAFNews once said it was the largest stadium in the USA where you could hold all events in the stadium.

On a trip to Europe I met with the IAAF and they were enthusiastic and wanted us to go for it. On return I had a conference call with USATF. I wouldn't give the name but I was told in that discussion, "We're not really sure we want the World Championships in the United States." The potential bid died after that discussion as my committee realized we could not go forward without support of USATF.
    That is just disappointing to hear. While Track Town certainly has a lot of knowledgeable fans, there are a lot of us her in the Southeast US who would find it much easier to attend in person, were the event to be held here. And it sounds like an All-Star Team you had assembled to make your case!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

She looked terrible, sluggish and no spring whatsoever off the board. If her jumping is a true reflection of where she's at, st the moment, then she likely has no show in Tokyo.
      Reading an article on the BBC, Lewis & Ennis think she has time to sharpen up. They say she has it in her, and she can do it, she just needs to compete.

I don't know whether this is them trying to be optimistic, or whether this is realistic. Lewis herself struggled with injury leading into Sydney and during the Games. She knows what it takes. Maybe all the components are there, she just needs to put it together. I'm not a heptathlete so I would usually bow to their knowledge, but I am not confident. But maybe in 2 weeks she can sharpen up significantly....hmmm, we'll see.

edited to add: apparently she competes one final time this weekend in France before flying to Tokyo. There is an open meet in Evry sat-sun but she isnt on the start lists at the moment. But effectively every event is there, so she may even do more than one event.

edited again: looks like she isnt down on the lists...because she isnt competing. Her IG update today said it was her last training day in Montpellier before she heads out to Tokyo.
      Last edited by Wiederganger; 07-15-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
        Reading an article on the BBC, Lewis & Ennis think she has time to sharpen up. They say she has it in her, and she can do it, she just needs to compete.
        Not to worry. I just made the necessary arrangement for her to medal in Tokyo: I dropped her from my picks.

Comment

I don't know whether this is them trying to be optimistic, or whether this is realistic.
          Of course they will always be positive about British athletes' chances in this kind of context. They're never going to say 'stick a fork in her'.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Outstanding performance from Saga Vanninen over the last two days at the European U20s in Tallinn. 6271 moves her up to 10th all-time on the U20 lists, she has only just turned 18, so has another year as a junior athlete and potentially 2 shots at world junior titles.

14.90 in the shot and 47.01 in the javelin are extremely good marks from a 13.55 / 24.83 runner. She also threw 48.88 earlier in the season. Thiam registered 14.26 / 46.94 and 13.87 / 24.89 as an U20 (I won’t be making any comparisons to Kluft)

The decathlon starts tomorrow, Hauttekeete the favourite after his U20 heptathlon world record indoors

Comment

• So KJT has competed this weekend after all. 12.60 SP, 1.80 HJ and 13.55 hurdles.

Comment

So KJT has competed this weekend after all. 12.60 SP, 1.80 HJ and 13.55 hurdles.
                Originally posted by Powell View Post
                They're never going to say 'stick a fork in her'.
                It's not fork time yet, but is it time to check the oven?

Comment

So KJT has competed this weekend after all. 12.60 SP, 1.80 HJ and 13.55 hurdles.
                  Not sure that it is "oven time" yet, let alone "fork time".
                  I can see KJT scoring ~6,500 points with slight sharpening until the Olympics.
                  Something like 13.4 - 1.85 - 13.25 - 23.50 - 6.30 - 44.00 - 2:10.00
                  She is unlikely to medal with ~6.5K but with a slight improvement (or others underperforming) she may get the bronze.
                  But even if Thiam is injured too, I cannot see her winning gold.
                  Important to remember that she doesn't have an Olympic medal, and she will be 31 in Paris, so this may be her last chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by olorin View Post
                    I can see KJT scoring ~6,500 points with slight sharpening until the Olympics.
                    She has 2½ weeks till the Hep starts. I don't believe there's much time for anything except active rest. She's a great athlete, but it looks like the clock has run out on her recovery.
                    I do still think that Thiam has a shot at Gold though. I also think one of the 3 Amis will medal; I just have no idea which one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      She has 2½ weeks till the Hep starts. I don't believe there's much time for anything except active rest. She's a great athlete, but it looks like the clock has run out on her recovery.
                      I do still think that Thiam has a shot at Gold though. I also think one of the 3 Amis will medal; I just have no idea which one.
                      Agree with everything you wrote (though I want to believe that both Williams and Bougard will medal).
                      I don't think she is likely to win a medal, but defiantly has an outside chance.

Comment

Important to remember that she doesn't have an Olympic medal, and she will be 31 in Paris, so this may be her last chance.
                        From a quick glance at the medalists in Heptathlon since 2000 it seems that only 3/45 in Majors were 31 or older when they won a medal.

Comment

Something like 13.4 - 1.85 - 13.25 - 23.50 - 6.30 - 44.00 - 2:10.00
                          She is unlikely to medal with ~6.5K but with a slight improvement (or others underperforming) she may get the bronze.
                          But even if Thiam is injured too, I cannot see her winning gold.
                          The track she's at this weekend is old and 'local. With the Tokyo track she will be quicker and 'bouncier'.

I think she may get a high 13.3, and even though 1.8 yesterday, I think she can do 1.89 or 1.92 in Tokyo. I think the rest of your predictions look solid.
                          If she can get nearer 6,600 than 6500 she can medal.

I'm not sure 2 US women will get on the podium, I really think Vetter is going to medal, and Thiam.

Comment

I don't think she is likely to win a medal, but defiantly has an outside chance.
                            Perfect adverb!

Comment

• Another stand out performance at the European U20s in Tallinn from Jente Hauttekette, 8150 takes him to 4th all-time with the junior implements. Sander Skotheim also went over 8000 while taking the silver

The all-time list makes for interesting reading, all of the top 6 are currently active, seems like decathletes today are become more proficient in technical events at a younger age

1. Kaul - 8435 - 2017
                              2. Rooth - 8238 - 2020
                              3. Moloney - 8190 - 2018
                              4. Hauttekeete - 8150 - 2021
                              5. Erm - 8141 - 2017
                              6. Sykora - 8135 - 2014

9. Mayer - 8121 - 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                                The all-time list makes for interesting reading, all of the top 6 are currently active, seems like decathletes today are become more proficient in technical events at a younger age
                                But the U20s have only been competing under current specifications since 2006
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X