Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miketandf
    • Oct 2020

I like it... So, ok... made four minor changes to the file... all else stayed exactly the same... but he now has a 8700 goal!
    1) Gave him a PR in 100, by .01... 'overdue', right? Also, Spec Towns was into a headwind, in so-so conditions. First event next outing with a PR, or at Oly Trials, why not...
    2) Gave him a PR in the 110H... no twisting of my arm here, as he ran a near PR in those lousy Spec Towns conditions, 14.18 (0.0) vs PR 14.13 (+1.2).
    3) Gotta HJ at least what he did in HS... so that's 2.06/6-9... anything below that as a 'goal' is 'insulting' to him.
    4) Just changed DT by 10cm to reach a new/upgraded 8700 goal. Maybe he does set a huge DT PR this year, but setting a PR, under pressure, with only 3 throws in a deca, under who knows what wind conditions, is a tall order... so 47.00/154-2 is what I ended up for his deca 'goal'... for now...
    5) 1500m... I feel for any decathlete that has been doing it for a number of years, and can't expect almost any of them to replicate what they did when they were young 'kids'... I'll take a 4:46 from him anytime, if needed.

So, here's your 8700..

Comment

• Atticus
      • Jul 2014
      • on task

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
      So, here's your 8700.
      OK, you shamed me!
      Be careful what ya wish for, huh? 8700 is a very steep hill. No pressure! Me and my big mouth (fat fingers?).
      I'd take a top 3 at the OT and assurance he's on the team. And then let his freak flag fly high in Tokyo.
      Thanks again for all the work; that was a ton of data.

Comment

• miketandf
        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        I'd take a top 3 at the OT and assurance he's on the team. And then let his freak flag fly high in Tokyo.
        Exactly... and I would love to see two more Americans hit that 8350 marker and fall into his category...

Comment

• olorin
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Thanks!
          I still think his 100/110H/DT are overdue for PRs.
          During the never ending lockdown in 2020, I updated my decathlon files (hence the quiz).
          One of the not surprising results is the high correlation between SP and DT.
          To illustrate, of the 1,044 8200+ scores in decathlon, in 141 the decathlete threw 16m or more.
          Among these decathlete the average DT throw was ~48.5m compared with only 45.5m for the other decathletes (60 points).

GS result from the weekend (42.25) is ranked 8th lowest among 16+ decathletes and his PB is less than the median. That is, more than half the decathletes that threw 16+ SP, continue and threw more than 47.5 in the same competition.

I think that GS should be able to throw ~50m in the near future.
          Less optimistic about 8,700 before the Olympics. I would be very (very) happy with 8600.
          Last edited by olorin; 04-14-2021, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• ZazaShoya
            • Sep 2020

Australian Champs Dec starting shortly, Ash Moloney and Cedric Dubler to confirm their very good December performances. I saw Dubler complain about the timing of these championships, so not really sure about the shape they'll be in, two more big guns out nonetheless.
            Interesting to point out Dubler is the one with the best numerical potential of the two at the moment, 8765 v 8645, but a PB more than 100 points behind.

Comment

• olorin
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
              Australian Champs Dec starting shortly, Ash Moloney and Cedric Dubler to confirm their very good December performances. I saw Dubler complain about the timing of these championships, so not really sure about the shape they'll be in, two more big guns out nonetheless.
              Interesting to point out Dubler is the one with the best numerical potential of the two at the moment, 8765 v 8645, but a PB more than 100 points behind.
              In the Australian thread there is a link to a spreadsheet that Mike prepared with targets (8500) in each event for both Dubler and Moloney and for West, which is still trying to make a last effort for the games in the Heptathlon.
              If Dubler is not in shape for a full decathlon, I wish for him to break his PBs in the throwing events.
              I am not going to wish anything for Ash Moloney as every time I try to think of a very good score for him he exceed it :-)

Comment

• ZazaShoya
                • Sep 2020

Originally posted by olorin View Post

In the Australian thread there is a link to a spreadsheet that Mike prepared with targets (8500) in each event for both Dubler and Moloney and for West, which is still trying to make a last effort for the games in the Heptathlon.
                If Dubler is not in shape for a full decathlon, I wish for him to break his PBs in the throwing events.
                I am not going to wish anything for Ash Moloney as every time I try to think of a very good score for him he exceed it :-)
                Got my own spreadsheet (like any self-respecting combined events follower so I can see how they fare at any moment.
                10.45 and 10.84, so a tad behind their record, let's see how the LJ goes.

Comment

• miketandf
                  • Oct 2020

Thanks ZazaShoya... here's the link to olorin's Aussie favorites with his goals... was Tori West a DNS?

Comment

• olorin
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by olorin View Post

During the never ending lockdown in 2020, I updated my decathlon files (hence the quiz).
                    One of the not surprising results is the high correlation between SP and DT.
                    To illustrate, of the 1,044 8200+ scores in decathlon, in 141 the decathlete threw 16m or more.
                    Among these decathlete the average DT throw was ~48.5m compared with only 45.5m for the other decathletes (60 points).

For comparison if we will do the same analysis for DT and JT (two events that are often assumed correlated)
                    There are 164 throws of 49+ in the DT.
                    The average JT among these decathletes is 61.5m
                    The average among other decathletes in one meter higher

Comment

• donley2
                      • Oct 2005
                      • North Texas

Solomon Simmons and Leo Neugebauer are on the start list for todays decathlon at UTSA http://www.sidearmstats.com/utsa/track/
                      Also Jordan Gray in the Heptathlon
                      Last edited by donley2; 04-15-2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• miketandf
                        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                        Solomon Simmons and Leo Neugebauer are on the start list for todays decathlon at UTSA http://www.sidearmstats.com/utsa/track/
                        Also Jordan Gray in the Heptathlon
                        Great find !... wondering where high-ranking Simmons was... will be tracking them on online file. Thanks...

Comment

• miketandf
                          • Oct 2020

Not a good season opener for Simmons... two noticeably below-par events and DNS the SP, so looks like he's done for the day. Leo N of Texas also having a rough time. Not sure what the conditions are there.

Comment

• donley2
                            • Oct 2005
                            • North Texas

Not a good season opener for Simmons... two noticeably below-par events and DNS the SP, so looks like he's done for the day. Leo N of Texas also having a rough time. Not sure what the conditions are there.
                            Is that results link working for you? I am not getting it to load anything for me.

Comment

• miketandf
                              • Oct 2020

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

Is that results link working for you? I am not getting it to load anything for me.
                              The only thing working, is '#1 Men Decathlon' and '#2 Women Heptathlon"... and even those are hit-and-miss...

When those don't work, I have to click on 'Last Completed Event' and hope I time it right.

Jordan Gray also off to a slow start in the Hept, so gotta wonder about the conditions there.
                              Last edited by miketandf; 04-15-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• donley2
                                • Oct 2005
                                • North Texas

The only thing working, is '#1 Men Decathlon' and '#2 Women Heptathlon"... and even those are hit-and-miss...

When those don't work, I have to click on 'Last Completed Event' and hope I time it right.

Jordan Gray also off to a slow start in the Hept, so gotta wonder about the conditions there.
                                San Antonio airport (not too far from the track) shows light rain fog/mist. 65 degrees with winds 10mph gusting to 20. Yeah doesn't sound ideal.

Comment

Working...
                                X