Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Good '2021 Review' WA article on the multis linked on home-page.

A 2022 Eugene22 Dec Preview:

A Mayer return to full form sets up an epic 9000pt battle at the top with Warner.

In the next tier (hopefully 8700-8800) we have Moloney, Scantling, Kaul, LePage - and perhaps Uibo, Kazmrek and Tilga.

I will guess that the ascendant W beats a healthy M and Scantling (!!) gets the 8800 and medals too. That presupposes a soph slump for Moloney, which . . . could be the opposite of what happens. Kaul's return to form (and improvement) is the wild card.

Dec-ers, being Dec-ers, are prone to injury and that will go a long way in determining the podium. It'll be fun to watch!

As for the women, Thiam is tough, but a fully fit KJT will give her . . . fits. Where will Gittens and the 3 top Amis fit in? Kunz seems ready to continue her climb, but Bougard and K Williams are right there too. Vetter, Oosterwegel, Schafer, Vidts, and Krizsan will all factor in.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

If I was a selector right now, I would be picking Moloney for the WC and Dubler & Golubovic for the Comm Games. I would prob pick Moloney in the Comm Games Dec (as a reserve in case he stuffs up somehow at the WC) and possibly 4x4. It's probably too tough for anyone to double up in both.

The Comm Games standard for any nation should not be as high as the WC.
    That seems sensible to me.

The last part applies particularly next year with the proximity to the WC. In other years, there may have been a situation where a Jamaican sprinter or Kenyan distance runner needed a WC qualifier to make their CG team.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

A score beaten by just 12 athletes in the whole world this year. 4 of these are from the Commonwealth (Warner, Maloney. Lepage and Victor), but the proximity to the Eugene Worlds will surely rule some of those out of Birmingham. Only 2 Brits (Thompson and Macey) have beaten 8350.
    If I was a selector right now, I would be picking Moloney for the WC and Dubler & Golubovic for the Comm Games. I would prob pick Moloney in the Comm Games Dec (as a reserve in case he stuffs up somehow at the WC) and possibly 4x4. It's probably too tough for anyone to double up in both.

The Comm Games standard for any nation should not be as high as the WC.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
    World List for 2021
    03 8649 Ash Moloney
    13 8336 Dan Golubovic
    23 8175 Cedric Dubler

The Commonwealth Games selection standard for Australia is 8350 (same as WC) - what an absolute joke.
    A score beaten by just 12 athletes in the whole world this year. 4 of these are from the Commonwealth (Warner, Maloney. Lepage and Victor), but the proximity to the Eugene Worlds will surely rule some of those out of Birmingham. Only 2 Brits (Thompson and Macey) have beaten 8350.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    World List for 2021
    03 8649 Ash Moloney
    13 8336 Dan Golubovic
    23 8175 Cedric Dubler

The Commonwealth Games selection standard for Australia is 8350 (same as WC) - what an absolute joke.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    8336 (113 pt PB) for Dan Golubovic in Brisbane.

14.09 (0.7) PB, 47.66m, 4.90m, 56.95m, 4-22.52 PB on D2

Hopefully at least a Comm Games spot for him in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Though Ash Moloney and Cedric Dubler aren't competing, Daniel Golubovic is having a good start to the Oceania Decathlon Championships in Brisbane this weekend:

Four PBs so far:

100:11.03 (-1.5) - was 11.04
    LJ 7.22m (1.3) - was 7.09m
    SP 14.86m
    HJ 2.00m - was 1.98m
    400 48.58 - was 49.54

Leads with 4185 and on track to beat his PB of 8223.

Though at a lesser level, Heptathlon leader Teneille Crase did even better with 4 PBs in the 4 first day events.

Leave a comment:

• Awsi Dooger
    replied
    Originally posted by olorin View Post

I really (really) hope that 6,600 points will not be enough to medal. With so many women capable of scoring 6,700+ it will be a very sad competition if 6,600 will be enough for Bronze.
    It ended up slightly below 6600. Oosterwegel won bronze with 6590.

The javelin again proved pivotal. All three medalists were beyond 51 meters. For reference, Thiam defeated her 4th place teammate Noor Vidts by 220 points. It was all in the javelin. Thiam scored 951 to Vidts at 702.

It was interesting to me that both Dutch heptathlon medalists did well in the javelin. It is an event Netherlands has been prioritizing in recent years, based on a study of which events should play to their physical strengths. Here is a related article:

https://netherlandsnewslive.com/proj...-tokyo/209625/

"A few tables away, Bram Peters (29) watches the scene with satisfaction. It concerns his athletes, and those of his fellow trainer Laurent Meuwly from Switzerland. Together they started ‘Project 400’ two and a half years ago, an ambitious plan to take the 400 meters in the Netherlands to a higher level. It is one of three GAP projects – shorter before close the gap – in which the technical leadership of the Athletics Union in October 2018 designated javelin throw, pole vault and the 400 meters (hurdles) as parts that Dutch athletes, who are above average tall and strong, should be physically well. In Belgium they have had world champions in the 400 meters for years. The men’s relay team, nicknamed Belgian Tornados, took bronze at the 2019 World Championships in Doha. The idea at Papendal was: we should be able to do that too."

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tgs3 View Post
    I just now noticed that Talence got cancelled again this year. I assume there are no more multi events planned for the year except perhaps for see some results from down under in December?
    I saw that the Multis Challenge this year was won by K Wms and Kazmirek, so they get byes to Eugene.

Leave a comment:

• tgs3
    replied
    I just now noticed that Talence got cancelled again this year. I assume there are no more multi events planned for the year except perhaps for see some results from down under in December?

Leave a comment:

• dupontred
    replied
    Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

"Thanks, Captain Obvious."
    As opposed to KJT and Thiam who can put up super numbers in field events.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by dupontred View Post

She’ll have to do well in field AND running events to be in the podium.
    "Thanks, Captain Obvious."

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    For easy comparison, this is what she achieved at the Trials versus her PBs:

Event Result Score Difference from PB
    100H 12.95w (+2.4)
    +26
    HJ 1.81 (5-11¼)
    SP 15.73 (51-7¼)
    200 23.71
    LJ 6.50 (21-4) (+1.2)
    JT 45.06 (147-10)
    800 2:15.24
    Total
    +4

Leave a comment:

• dupontred
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    The good news is that at least one of them should be up to their OT score, and I'm guessing Bougard.
    Kunz was simply TOO good in Eugene, so I think KW will be in the medal fight too.
    I'll be bummed if none are in contention. Can't believe all 3 will be.
    Bougard did the shot at a last second ATL meet in LA last weekend and it wasn’t great, so we’ll see. She’ll have to do well in field AND running events to be in the podium.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Did she get a clean sweep of seven PBs then? That tops Avilov, who got what, 8 of 10 in 72?
    No, she achieved three PBs at the Trials. Here's the sum of her PBs:

Event Result Score Location Date
    100H 13.12 (+0.3)
    Götzis 29 May 2021
    HJ 1.82 (5-11½)
    Annapolis 8 February 2020
    SP 15.80 (51-10)
    Chula Vista 3 April 2021
    200 23.71
    Eugene 26 June 2021
    LJ 6.50 (21-4) (+1.2)
    Eugene 27 June 2021