Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Olympic Team Selection Clarification

So, do I have this right (the rules lately seem to be . . . fluid)?

FOUR DAYS AFTER the Trials end, July 1, the top finishers, in order, are vetted for

A. Have the Oly Std
    or (!)
    B. Are on the list of WAQA (World Athletics Qualified Athletes)

The highest finishers who have A or B, are on the team.

Yes?

I just read this

Track and Field Selection Criteria
    • The top three (3) place finishers in each event at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials – Men’s and Women’s Track and Field, June 18-27, 2021 (2020 U.S. Olympic Trials), provided they have met the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying standard during the prescribed period, will self-select themselves via head-to-head competition for a position on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team for the 2020 Olympic Games.
    • The fourth (4th) place finisher in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, provided they have met the 2020 Olympic Games qualifying standard during the prescribed period, will self-select himself or herself via head-to head competition for an alternate position.
    • If, after the close of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, there is a place or are places in an event(s) on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team that have not been filled, USATF will enter an athlete(s) or designate an athlete as an alternate, based upon their rank order of place finish at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, and who are on the July 1, 2021 list of World Athletics Qualified Athletes*.

*As best defined by World Athletics the qualified athletes list: A full list of athletes eligible to compete in Tokyo 2020 by virtue of having been granted a universality place, of having achieved the relevant entry standard and/or of their position in the World Rankings.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    So, do I have this right (the rules lately seem to be . . . fluid)?

FOUR DAYS AFTER the Trials end, July 1, the top finishers, in order, are vetted for

A. Have the Oly Std
    or (!)
    B. Are on the list of WAQA (World Athletics Qualified Athletes)

The highest finishers who have A or B, are on the team.

Yes?

No, if there are 3 finishers with the standard they are the team because there is no spot open for someone with just the ranking even if a higher Trials placing.

Same for alternate spot.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post

No, if there are 3 finishers with the standard they are the team because there is no spot open for someone with just the ranking even if a higher Trials placing.

Same for alternate spot.
      I hope that is not the interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post

I hope that is not the interpretation.
        Third bullet point says "If" there is a place not filled after close of Trials, then WA rankings come into play.

What would determine that "If"other than the fact of having the standard as set forth in first two bullet points?

And strikes me as best approach.

Comment

My point would be that people on the list due to world rankings are in fact "qualified", but more a preference than a strict reading of the language. In several field events we could end up with exactly 3 auto qualifiers which renders the oly trials moot.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post

Same for alternate spot.
            I don't read it that way. First 3 are in if they have the standard. If they don't we fill by rank order of finish based on the World Rankings. So 1 and 2 have the standard. 3rd doesn't. He or she are out unless they have a World Ranking. If 4th has the standard but no ranking and 5th has the ranking. 5th would go.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I don't read it that way. First 3 are in if they have the standard. If they don't we fill by rank order of finish based on the World Rankings. So 1 and 2 have the standard. 3rd doesn't. He or she are out unless they have a World Ranking. If 4th has the standard but no ranking and 5th has the ranking. 5th would go.
              Upon second reading I agree. Ok. On second reading of this I am hedging. Shouldn't it just be anyone who is qualified by whatever means is picked based on Oly Trials finish order.
              Last edited by donley2; 04-08-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                If 4th has the standard but no ranking and 5th has the ranking. 5th would go.
                Don't agree with this because having the standard is one way of being WA qualified.

Not 100% on the rest. The second bullet point should not flatly state that the fourth place finisher with the standard is the alternate unless it were contemplated that the rules give priority to first three over the line with the standard.
                Last edited by player; 04-08-2021, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Well, at least I'm not the only one confused!

Comment

Now look at what you started......

Comment

How do world rankings come into play? Is this something new? Are athletes with a high enough ranking who haven't met the standard qualified?

Comment

Im a bit confused on the ranking as well. Do they take precedent over someone having the standard? If someone finishes in 6th place has the standard but is not ranked, but then places 3-5 don't have the Olympic standard but are world ranked higher, who gets selected for the team?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                          How do world rankings come into play? Is this something new? Are athletes with a high enough ranking who haven't met the standard qualified?
                          https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...oad-to/7132391

Comment

I'd suggest focusing on the words "via head-to-head competition' in the first two bullet points.

In context, those words signify that, as an initial matter, athletes with the qualifying standard are only competing against other athletes with the standard for spots on the team. And only if this "head-to-head competition" does not fill the three team spots and the alternate spot do the WA rankings come into play, as a backup means of selection.

Comment

Paging Polevaultpower or some other USATF insider. Surely someone has already discussed what these rules actually mean in practical terms.

Comment

Working...
                              X