Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Did College Dual Meets Die ?

In other NCAA non-revenue sports ( baseball, lacrosse, soccer, softball etc. ) dual contests are of course a necessity, and that is not the case with Track, but still, why did dual meets die off ? To, me, as an in-the-60's competitor, dual meets with the lifeblood of the sport. Now, it seems it's just a bunch of lousy relay meets and then conference championships. Where's the fun and comraderie of traveling to dual meets and competing AS A TEAM ? If schools can pay for all those team sports to travel around, why can't/won't they do the same for Track ? To me, it's just further ruination of the sport I've always loved.

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    In other NCAA non-revenue sports ( baseball, lacrosse, soccer, softball etc. ) dual contests are of course a necessity, and that is not the case with Track, but still, why did dual meets die off ? To, me, as an in-the-60's competitor, dual meets with the lifeblood of the sport. Now, it seems it's just a bunch of lousy relay meets and then conference championships. Where's the fun and comraderie of traveling to dual meets and competing AS A TEAM ? If schools can pay for all those team sports to travel around, why can't/won't they do the same for Track ? To me, it's just further ruination of the sport I've always loved.
    I suppose we are going to hear something about 12 scholarship limits, but walk ons, or dual sport athletes could go a long way to fix that.

Id love to see a return to teams winning and losing prior to conference championships.

Comment

Some of the best meets at Hayward 40 years ago were the dual meets. Kansas, Indiana, UCLA, etc.

Even the students came to them which is unheard of now. This coaching video has some clips of them in it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P61rHOLYnY8&t=1226s

We've, as usual, discussed this before. I think it basically came down to: that they didn't mean much as compared to doing well at Nationals...and scholarship rules.

Minnesota and Wisconsin revived the concept indoors a few years ago and it went over well. But wasn't terribly well attended. And Minnesota indoors men is out so that idea is dead.

A friend in town asked Vin when he was coach about getting U of Oregon students to meets, who never come these days, and suggested duals. Vin was noncommittal.

Comment

At least through 2019 Cal & Stanford continued their annual Big Meet tradition, a fine dual I attended many times when I lived near Cal. But other than old traditional rivalries I've not heard much of college dual meets in decades . . .

https://gostanford.com/news/2019/4/5...meet-cxxv.aspx

Comment

Texas & Texas A&M just had one, USC & Cal have one today

Comment

Yes they pop up here and there every so often....especially since competitions in general have been scarce lately....

But the glory era of them 50 years ago aren't coming back...

Comment

Army-Navy is a BIG deal.

Comment

Obviously they are all big deals with the teams involved....Wisconsin and Minnesota really got into it.

Comment

Duel meets & INdoor meets---both from the era of dinosaurs!
                  We need a Jurassic Park thinker!!
                  LOL

Comment

It seems to me that US college dual meets seemed to decline at a similar time as those between 2 (sometimes 3 very occasionally 4) countries. I remember in the late '70s and early 80s, the UK would often have a match against either of the Germanys or the USSR in particular and occasional meets against countries like Poland, Finland or Sweden. As well as this there were USA v USSR, USSR v GDR and numerous other matches scattered around Europe in particular. Now other than the hardy perennial that is Finland v Sweden they are very few and far between. The UK also used to have 1 or 2 U20 (sometimes U19) matches against 1 or 2 other countries each year as well. Now, outside of the World and European U20 champs, we just send a select team to the Mannheim meet in Germany which isn't a team event, although it does include relays.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

I suppose we are going to hear something about 12 scholarship limits, but walk ons, or dual sport athletes could go a long way to fix that.

Id love to see a return to teams winning and losing prior to conference championships.
                      Walk-ons are severely limited on the men’s side because of the Title IX regulations which effectively create quotas on the size of teams. If the student body of an average college is 53% female, the percentage of female athletes is supposed to be close to the same. And if there are 100 male football players, the other male sports pay the price.

The Title IX regulations were upheld decades ago in a case with Brown University that as an Ivy School had no athletic scholarships. But they had to do the quotas affecting walk-ons. It was decided at the Federal Circuit level in a split decision. The Supreme Court has never ruled on the regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Walk-ons are severely limited on the men’s side because of the Title IX regulations which effectively create quotas on the size of teams. If the student body of an average college is 53% female, the percentage of female athletes is supposed to be close to the same. And if there are 100 male football players, the other male sports pay the price.

The Title IX regulations were upheld decades ago in a case with Brown University that as an Ivy School had no athletic scholarships. But they had to do the quotas affecting walk-ons. It was decided at the Federal Circuit level in a split decision. The Supreme Court has never ruled on the regulations.
                        Texas A&M has 76 men on it. The women's squad has 62.
                        Texas men have 47 on their current roster. Florida has 47 men.
                        It all depends on how attractive your program is to athletes and how your school balances numbers. It also depends on the willingness of the department to fund big squads, and the coaches to work with big numbers.

Comment

Working...
                        X