Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Namibian Champs are at Windhoek's Independence Stadium, which is at about 1700m altitude.

Comment

You can watch the race here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjK_nh8jRU
      It is a decent shot but from long distance.

This young lady had a competition to the end. Who was her competition? "Another incredible result produced Beatrice Masilingi, who is also a junior athlete. She finished in second place with a super-fast personal best time of 49.53." This is according to https://www.watchathletics.com/artic...rd-with-49-24/.

I still think it is the new shoes technology. 3 second improvement in a mile may translate to ).75 sec improvement in 400. I know this is a simplistic way of looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        Namibian Champs are at Windhoek's Independence Stadium, which is at about 1700m altitude.
        Originally posted by GHM View Post
        Nice looking stadium, Namibia!

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post
          Thats the 49.24 race from last week. I haven't see a video of the 49.22 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

Thats the 49.24 race from last week. I haven't see a video of the 49.22 yet.
            The race and a short post-race interview are here: https://twitter.com/pjvazel/status/1383540250325127174

And, as sceptical as I was, I don't get a Semenya-esque vibe from Mboma.

Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

And Masilingi ran a new NR of 22.38...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

And, as sceptical as I was, I don't get a Semenya-esque vibe from Mboma.
                An unnecessary comment. In making such an insinuation it implies a bias against African female athletes.

Or is it that only Europe and the USA can have incredible teenage female talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

An unnecessary comment. In making such an insinuation it implies a bias against African female athletes.

Or is it that only Europe and the USA can have incredible teenage female talent.
                  Don't get the bias towards African female athletes ... the fact is, the recent cases of hyperandrogenism are proven to be African or Indian athletes.

Comment

No. There wouldn't be that skepticism if they were from Kenya or Nigeria or Ethiopia or Botswana.

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

Don't get the bias towards African female athletes ... the fact is, the recent cases of hyperandrogenism are proven to be African or Indian athletes.
                      I don't think Helen Stephens, Stella Walsh, Eva Klobukowska or Maria Martinez-Patino were from Africa or India.

Hyperandrogenisn is an unfortunate condition that doesn't distinguish between country boundaries or ethnicity.

Comment

I don't think Helen Stephens, Stella Walsh, Eva Klobukowska or Maria Martinez-Patino were from Africa or India.
                        They were not. But they were from the 1930's, the 1960's & the 1980's. Unfortunately, all recent publicised cases have been from developing countries, where the medical support is extremely poor by most Western standards, or inconsistent. There are huge differences across the world in both the knowledge of pediatricians and 'first contact' medical staff - if the birthing mother is lucky enough to even be accompanied by a medically qualified person - as well as how they are able and willing to 'treat' a child born with DSD.. It's just a very sad fact in this unequal world we live in.

Hyperandrogenisn is an unfortunate condition that doesn't distinguish between country boundaries or ethnicity.
                        I think on that we can all agree. I have my own feelings on these athletes, but I'll politely keep them to myself.

Either way, Masilingi has run a qualifying time for Tokyo in the 200m, so we assume she will be there in some capacity. I gather she was entered in the 100m too, but false started - maybe she and her coach are already targeting the 200m for her?

In terms of Mboma's performances, two 49.2's one week after the other is 'pretty good going', to put it mildly, even at altitude. How she will be able to run against top elite international women is another matter, and she needs to experience the travel, the race prep etc. on the real big stage, with is completely different to a local and national meet. Also the way she runs her race is very similar to Seyni, with a strong last 100m, maybe because she is more a 400/800 athlete.

Has anyone been able to do a conversion? 22.38A must be in the 22.6's at sea level, and 49.2 maybe 49.6 or 49.7?

Comment

Some of the accusations and innuendo here(with zero proof of course) are just awful...what if you people are wrong?

Comment

I think it's perfectly reasonable to want proof of the acceptability of a world junior record achieved by an athlete whose personal best a year ago was five seconds slower than these two record runs.

My main suspicion about African junior marks is usually related to the accuracy of their date of birth.

But as with all world records by anyone from anywhere, there are other tests that also need to be passed. And an additional one now for any female competing in events from 400m to 1500m.

Comment

In the latest eTN, it has Mboma also running the 800--time of 2:03.57---her previous best was 2:08.78!!
                              Another Mu in the making??

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                                I think it's perfectly reasonable to want proof of the acceptability of a world junior record achieved by an athlete whose personal best a year ago was five seconds slower than these two record runs.

My main suspicion about African junior marks is usually related to the accuracy of their date of birth.

But as with all world records by anyone from anywhere, there are other tests that also need to be passed. And an additional one now for any female competing in events from 400m to 1500m.
                                I agree, records need to pass certain tests to be accepted, and despite how much I cannot agree with the random event ban, it's the way it is at the moment, and thems the rules.

beebee it wasn't that long ago that there was big thread where posters were speculating that KK was anorexic, medically qualified posters, happy to state she has a serious mental health condition from watching her run a race on their TV screen. I strongly objected and criticised the posters...and was banned. It would appear it's ok to talk about women's bodies in certain ways, but not in others...

Shall we all agree to focus on the performances themselves, and do our bests to keep other thoughts as private?

Comment

Working...
                                X