Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously think the rule for what constitutes crossing the line needs to be changed. Torso just isn't a very precise term when applied to real-life situations. One possible solution is to just consider the first body part to cross the line. Sure, it will change the way runners finish, since the best way will be to push one arm forward, but that shouldn't be too hard to learn and it will make photo-finish photos much easier to read.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

It is not helpful to talk about "crossing the line". No rule that I know of requires that the athlete or any part of the athlete's body cross the line. The finish is judged by the athlete's reaching the nearest edge of the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        It is not helpful to talk about "crossing the line". No rule that I know of requires that the athlete or any part of the athlete's body cross the line. The finish is judged by the athlete's reaching the nearest edge of the finish line.
        That's splitting hairs. OK. you can substitute "reaching the line" for "crossing the line" in my post, it doesn't really change anything re my basic point.

Comment

Back to my idea of affixing an adhesive chip at the midpoint between the collarbones.๐Ÿ˜€

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Back to my idea of affixing an adhesive chip at the midpoint between the collarbones.๐Ÿ˜€
            It is A solution, but I can see a couple of possible issues with it:
            - what happens if the chips gets unstuck during the race
            - how do you ensure it's placed exactly halfway between the collarbones

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Or something just as practical -- use laser beams from a satellite...

Comment

I don't see the problem. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                  I don't see the problem. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
                  No, we are not going back to judges sitting at the finish line with their pocket watches!

Comment

I seem to recall that the old professional International Track Association, in the mid 1970s, allowed the head to count a body part reaching the finish line that counted as "finished." I think TFN noted that that would be worth 2-3 hundredths.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
                      I seem to recall that the old professional International Track Association, in the mid 1970s, allowed the head to count a body part reaching the finish line that counted as "finished."
                      Yes, they did that because when a runner dips at the finish, the head is often the first thing to reach the line and allowing that to count made it a lot easier to read the pictures, and spared all sorts of disputes as to where the torso began and ended. ITA felt no obligation at all to follow the amateur rules in any way. So they took a fresh look at the finish rule (among other things) and just did what they thought made sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X