X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is official!
    2:59:54!!
    Previous World Best was Aly Dixon's 3:07:201
    Previous American Best was Janis Klecker's 3:13:51!!
    aaronk
    Last edited by aaronk; 04-13-2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Aly Dixon, former record holder, tweeted---

Be right back...just changing my bio.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        2:31:12 at the full marathon
        Only one other wMar of note in America (The Woodlands) so far this year, but American Leader by over 7 minutes.

Comment

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...rd/7208267002/

It was outside Eugene

Comment

Same course Rupp ran on.

Comment

Basically the same course that Rupp ran with one slight adjustment:
              The course is an out and back on a narrow bike path 1/4 marathon long (10549m rounded up) with a very tight hair-pin turn at each end. There was a parking area just beyond the start/finish so I added a nice u-turn with a 3 meter radius (this added 40 m). This turn was used at the end of the half marathon, marathon - for the runners heading out to get the additional distance needed for the 50k. The hair pin turns out on the course that would normally be 31.646 k (3/4 marathon) & 46.0975 km (last u-turn to get the distance of 50k) where adjusted to account for the enlarged u-turn at the common start/finish. Here are the gps coordinates if you want to find the course. T-1: first turn (1/4 marathon) , T-2 (second u-turn), T-3: u-turn for the 50k
              Start/Finish: 43 46 983 122 55 403
              T-1 43-42-715 122-51-592

T-2 43-42-724 122-51-598
              T-3 43-45-575 122=53-879
              Hopefully I didn't incorrectly copy these otherwise you might end up in.....
              fyi -I was at all the turns to validate that they ran the course that was measured.
              Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                Being pedantic here, but it isn't a world record event. It's a world best.
                Not at all pedantic. You make a good point. World Athletics does not recognize WRs for 50km. That means that it's indeed a world best.

Bui that also raises the question of why measurer (or anyone else) was asked to validate that they ran the course that was measured. That validation is a requirement for WRs in road events. But, again, this was not a WR event.

Let me answer my own question. There seems to be some noise out there to the effect that WA should change the rules to add this as a record distance. I suppose if they did that, they could recognize performances prior to that change that met all of the normal record requirements. An I think there's some precedent to that effect for events that are added to the list of WR events. And that might have been why someone thought to do the validation--so that if the distance ever did become a record distance, that performance could be recognized.

Comment

FYI- USATF follows World Athletic rules when it comes to the certification, verification and validation of American records- except that the original certification does not have to be with World Athletics - only USATF (but it is required by the IAU). The organizers didn't want to have any doubts so they had the course pre-verified - measured by two World Athletics measurers (in this case two "A" measurers). At the conclusion of the race, all of the requirements were checked off for the ratification of an American Open record. In fact, drug testing is not required for a USA 50k record.

Comment

Originally posted by measurer View Post
                    FYI- USATF follows World Athletic rules when it comes to the certification, verification and validation of American records- except that the original certification does not have to be with World Athletics - only USATF (but it is required by the IAU). The organizers didn't want to have any doubts so they had the course pre-verified - measured by two World Athletics measurers (in this case two "A" measurers). At the conclusion of the race, all of the requirements were checked off for the ratification of an American Open record. In fact, drug testing is not required for a USA 50k record.
                    So the lack of drug testing then rules it out as a possible WR, if that's what people are pushing for. Not that I think WA are interested in anything post marthon given they've dumped [edit]some[/edit] sub-marathon distances from the WR events.

Comment

???
                      We had drug testing because it is required by the IAU. IAU allows 24 hours for testing, but the organizers had it on site (same requirement as for a WR). Again, the organizers went out of their way to add integrity to the performances. fyi - USATF only drug tests events that are also recognized by WA as world records.
                      I believe the elimination of sub marathon distances for records was wrong and maybe we can bring some back. There is a new interest in road running by WA.

Comment

Bring all the records back.... also 5 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles....the more the merrier...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          Bring all the records back.... also 5 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles....the more the merrier...
                          Yes, World Records for 50 yards, 80 yards, 120 yards, etc,, Ther'ye different races!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Yes, World Records for 50 yards, 80 yards, 120 yards, etc,, Ther'ye different races!
                            Indeed....50 yards, 100 yards again....

Comment

Working...
                            X