Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

By the way, why did Johnson need to run 44.38 to make you happy when 48.0 would have secured the gold medal?
    When you have a chance at the WR, you go for it. If you don't, just make sure you win. Simple as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

When you have a chance at the WR, you go for it. If you don't, just make sure you win. Simple as that.
      Okay, I see where you're coming from. FWIW, 49.57 is the equivalent to 44.38 according to the IAAF scoring tables. I would have never commented on Jonathas if she had run that fast.

Comment

Okay, I see where you're coming from. FWIW, 49.57 is the equivalent to 44.38 according to the IAAF scoring tables. I would have never commented on Jonathas if she had run that fast.
        I do wonder what the splits would have been if McLaughlin and Jonathas switched positions!

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

I do wonder what the splits would have been if McLaughlin and Jonathas switched positions!
          Do you really think she just put it on cruise control? I'm inclined to believe she didn't have it that day or maybe she went out too hard as someone suggested. I just don't think athletes at her level who came up through the American high school and collegiate system are wired to hold back in global finals. I think they have too much pride to do that.

Comment

Do you really think she just put it on cruise control? I'm inclined to believe she didn't have it that day or maybe she went out too hard as someone suggested. I just don't think athletes at her level who came up through the American high school and collegiate system are wired to hold back in global finals. I think they have too much pride to do that.
            I don't know that it was cruise control as much as it was a fear of blowing up and costing the US the gold.

Comment

• I just booted my "Olympic" disc to my DVR for the next fortnight and the '19 championships were still there. Watching the race again, Jonathas didn't seem to go out particularly hard, and while she didn't seem to be running easily at the end, neither was she tying up. It looked like a very controlled run.

In the first hundred meters of her leg, some random section of my brain said to me "she reminds me of Antonio McKay". Something about her arm action and her back-kick, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                I just booted my "Olympic" disc to my DVR for the next fortnight and the '19 championships were still there. Watching the race again, Jonathas didn't seem to go out particularly hard, and while she didn't seem to be running easily at the end, neither was she tying up. It looked like a very controlled run.

In the first hundred meters of her leg, some random section of my brain said to me "she reminds me of Antonio McKay". Something about her arm action and her back-kick, I think.
                That's how I recall her run.

Comment

I just booted my "Olympic" disc to my DVR for the next fortnight and the '19 championships were still there. Watching the race again, Jonathas didn't seem to go out particularly hard, and while she didn't seem to be running easily at the end, neither was she tying up. It looked like a very controlled run.
                  Not tying up doesn't mean your not pushing it and giving it your all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

Not tying up doesn't mean your not pushing it and giving it your all.
                    Yes it does to a degree, you are not pushing the first 200m or so; you can make up part of the time but not all of it. And you finish running hard but if you are alone and not close to a record I think prudence is very much on people's mind. The only thing that people will really remember in such cases is if they blow up and lose the race.

Comment

• So how are we defining tying up in the case of Jonathas? By her facial expressions? Her arm action and knee drive? how long she kneeled down after the race?

We will never actually know (unless she has said it) but I just watch her anchor leg and it looks like she was giving it her all and just couldnt run 49.x like she did in the open.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                        So how are we defining tying up in the case of Jonathas? By her facial expressions? Her arm action and knee drive? how long she kneeled down after the race?

We will never actually know (unless she has said it) but I just watch her anchor leg and it looks like she was giving it her all and just couldnt run 49.x like she did in the open.
                        Has anyone said that Jonathas was tying up? I agree with you, she just didn't have it that day.

Comment

• One thing that works in Felix's favor is that she has a history of over-performing in 4x400 relays relative to what her 400 SB would indicate.

Comment

• What is a typical opening 200 for WJ? In Doha, with a running start she looks to be high-23s, which looks to be rather conservative.

Comment

What is a typical opening 200 for WJ? In Doha, with a running start she looks to be high-23s, which looks to be rather conservative.
                              She is a "chaser" who tends to go out much more conservatively and finish well. I wouldn't be surprised if her first 200 was in the 24.0 range most of the time.
                              Her first 200 in the 4x4 final was 23.9ish.
                              Last edited by gm; 07-23-2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Diane Dixon on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRzt9GZjiGU/

"To put this to Rest! Coming from the Team USA 4x400 Meter American Record Holder Team! As my DM’s are blowing up!....My predictions and I hope the Coaches are watching! Athing Mu to Sydney McLaughlin to Quenera Hayes to Allyson Felix and they may get close to breaking the AR record! PeriodT! Or they may break it! This is the ONLY Team that can finally break OUR AR! No questions!"

Comment

Working...
                                X