Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Olympic Medal Predictions

If T&FN's women's 200 predictions hold up and Miller-Uibo, Thompson-Herah and Asher-Smith take the medals, will it be the first time a trio of hyphenated women have swept in any event?

I'm just waiting for the first dual-hyphenated woman to have a kid with a dual-hyphenated man, so we can have a quad-hyphenated name, then an octa- and then sexdeca-, etc..

Comment

Not sure about the Olympics, but the Women's 100m medallists from Doha were all hyphenated:

1. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
      2. Dina Asher-Smith
      3. Marie-Josée Dominique Ta Lou

Comment

This would make the baseball trivia experts proud.

Comment

I'm more interested in why GER were down as 3rd in the w4x100m....as much as I love my European cousins, I don't see this at present

Comment

Female track and field athletes seem to hyphenate their names a lot more than the general female population.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
              Female track and field athletes seem to hyphenate their names a lot more than the general female population.
              I suspect it's because they don't want to give up their "brand identity" but rather than stick with original name (think Felix) they also cater to their spouse's family

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                And then we have Nia Ali.
                Aaah, simplicity!1
                LOL

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

And then we have Nia Ali.
                  Aaah, simplicity!1
                  LOL
                  The polar opposite of Zdzisław Krzyszkowiak if there was such a thing as track and field athletes Scrabble!

Comment

Boy that's a name I haven't seen in a long time! Its one you don't tend to forget (LOL). He was an excellent Polish steepler in his day!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

I suspect it's because they don't want to give up their "brand identity" but rather than stick with original name (think Felix) they also cater to their spouse's family
                      Elizabeth Taylor (no track and field star) was married eight times and yet her name remained "Elizabeth Taylor".

Comment

It's happened before in the Heptathlon at the World Championships, Beijing 2015:

1 Jessica Ennis-Hill
                        2 Brianne Theisen-Eaton
                        3 Laura Ikauniece-Admidina

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Plenty of women in other professions (eg. politics, music, journalism, acting, etc.) and even other sports (eg. tennis, golf, etc.) hold onto their brand identities by just sticking with their maiden names when they get married. Hyphenations in those professions are the exception, not the rule like it is in track and field. Why is that?

Comment

The three women discus throwers that are the most likely to medal are Yaime Perez, Sandra Perkovic, and Denia Caballero. They are the ones to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                              It's happened before in the Heptathlon at the World Championships, Beijing 2015:

1 Jessica Ennis-Hill
                              2 Brianne Theisen-Eaton
                              3 Laura Ikauniece-Admidina
                              And at the 2009 World Champs, 100m hurdles:

1. Brigitte Foster-Hylton (JAM)
                              2. Priscilla Lopes-Schliep (CAN)
                              3. Delloreen Ennis-London (JAM)

Comment

Working...
                              X