Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Relays 2021 - No USA.... & no JAM?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MDelano View Post
    Temperature 7C/45F explains slow times
    Also a lot of athletes at this time of year will lack the race fitness to run well 2 days in a row.

Comment

• Apparently, Poland are considering a bid to host the Worlds at this stadium (55,000 capacity).

Comment

• They've been considering it for a long time. They bid for the 2015 edition, but then withdrew. I guess the soonest they could do it now is 2027 - with the 2023 WC being in Budapest, it's unlikely there can be two consecutive editions in the same region. But in less than 4 weeks, the SIlesian Stadium will host the ETC, and most likely spectators will be allowed in the stadium this time (they're talking about a limit of around 8-10 thousand).
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Also a lot of athletes at this time of year will lack the race fitness to run well 2 days in a row.
          Thats a good point actually. Also, I concur re the posters pointing out the weather. Its the first time I've seen the organisers rush out with team jackets for them to wear while waiting to start their leg and already in their 'pens'.

Overall it was a fun meet, ITA were the surprising stars of the show, and it was nice seeing real emotions from teams getting their Tokyo and Eugene slots. Yes, it would obviously have been much better with USA, JAM, CAN etc. but it was a welcome international match after a long drought. The stadium is also very impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post

It might have been colder than that, or at least it felt like it. Even in the stands, while I was protected from the rain and most of the wind, my hands were frozen to the point where it was hard to write or type.
            I didn't see anyone in the stands. Were you allowed in to cover the meet as a journalist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
              They've been considering it for a long time. They bid for the 2015 edition, but then withdrew. I guess the soonest they could do it now is 2027 - with the 2023 WC being in Budapest, it's unlikely there can be two consecutive editions in the same region.
              Looking back 2003 and 2005 represented the last time successive WCs were in the same region. I am pretty sure WA/IAAF are trying to avoid it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I didn't see anyone in the stands. Were you allowed in to cover the meet as a journalist?
                Yes, in a way. I was doing flash interviews.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by ItalianFan View Post
                  We conclude with the Men 4x400

1) Netherlands 3:03.45

2) Japan 3:04.45

3) Botswana 3:04.77
                  Would they qualify for the Final at NCAAs (SEC?)?

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Perhaps not, but all those in all the events who made the top step of the podium will forever be able to dine out on "back in 2021 when I was a world champion
                    ​​​​​​...... "

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                      Apparently, Poland are considering a bid to host the Worlds at this stadium (55,000 capacity).
                      I missed this year's World Relays live. Completely forgot about it and saw no talk about them on my social media accounts. I guess that's what happens when USA, Jamaica, Canada and also big name stars aren't participating.

Anyways, caught up and watched YouTube clips of everything last night. First thing I noticed was the stadium. Looked great and I was wondering if Poland put a bid in to host the World Championshps. Seems like a perfect venue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post

... First thing I noticed was the stadium. Looked great and I was wondering if Poland put a bid in to host the World Championshps. Seems like a perfect venue.
                        discussed in multiple posts earlier in this thread

Comment

• Best part was definitely day 1 seeing teams like Botswana qualifying for the Olympics. Day 2 was just OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Hmmmm, not sure. Would it be held in the same weather conditions, and would there be the same drug testing procedures? 🙄

Holler at me when the NCAAs are held in a wet, empty stadium in 6 degrees, where the athletes are not peaked, with no prior meets and when they have the correct dope testing. Then we can be smart and make comparisons with times...
                            Last edited by Wiederganger; 05-04-2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

Hmmmm, not sure. Would it be held in the same weather conditions, and would there be the same drug testing procedures? 🙄

Holler at me when the NCAAs are held in a wet, empty stadium in 6 degrees, where the athletes are not peaked, with no prior meets and when they have the correct dope testing. Then we can be smart and make comparisons with times...
                              I'm sure the weather affected the performances and it is true that athletes at the NCAA championships are in peak form since it's their biggest meet of the year, while athletes at the World Relays are still building towards a peak. However, the drug testing issue is just a canard because all the notable collegiate (and high school) athletes are already being tested just like the pros. For example, In 2018, when Michael Norman set the world record in the indoor 400 while at USC, he was subjected to 5 USADA out-of-competition tests in addition to NCAA testing. Athing Mu was subjected to 9 USADA out-of-competition tests in 2019 as a high school junior and she's already been subjected to 7 tests this year in addition to NCAA testing. By contrast, Jenny Simpson, a pro who has won multiple global championships medals, has only been tested once by USADA this year and Matthew Centrowitz has been tested 6 times in 2021. Collegiate athletes aren't tested by the NCAA instead of USADA, they are tested by the NCAA in addition to USADA.
                              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 05-04-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• I can certainly see the Dutch men going 3:01 or quicker sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                X