Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Relays 2021 - No USA.... & no JAM?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Poland, a special procedure for prospective Olympic team members was announced a few days ago to make sure they are all vaccinated in time for Tokyo,
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

If you're not vaccinated going to Poland is a poor decision.

Comment

If you are not vaccinated, going anywhere could be a very poor decision.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
          If you are not vaccinated, going anywhere could be a very poor decision.
          Not being vaccinated is a very poor decision. Betting there will be no USA team...unless it is composed of athletes who know they have very little chance of going to Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
            Betting there will be no USA team...unless it is composed of athletes who know they have very little chance of going to Tokyo.
            I agree. Even then, I wonder if USATF is maybe staying away from any potential liability should something happen at a basically inconsequential meet for the country.

Comment

Not great for World Athletics, if the strongest athletics nation doesn't attend, in an event that is already viewed skeptically by many. But totally understandable why they wouldn't want to risk sending a team when already qualified on all relay events.
              To be honest, I don't know why any team already qualified from Doha would want to send a team, especially in the long relays where baton passing doesn't need to be practiced under pressure to the same degree, and running order is more flexible. I get it prize money is on offer, but you have to weigh that against the potential risk. For those teams not qualified, you're caught over a barrel, as there is such limited opportunities to run relays as it is, let alone in another year of Covid.

Comment

It's a meaningless meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  It's a meaningless meet.
                  Othere have pointed out that it can have some meaning. It's also an enjoyable meet. I've attended all of the previous World Relays and would have planned to attend this year but then Covid intervened, as did some personal conflicts. Also, Chorzow is not an easy place to get to. I looked into air connections and I didn't like what I saw.

Comment

A few weeks ago Silesia was the place in Poland with the highest infection numbers, don't know the current numbers. Not exactly a place you'd want to visit unless you have to. We had the European indoor championships in Poland in March and that was pretty much a disaster with around 50 athletes coming back infected and infecting others after their return. Any athlete getting infected at the beginning of May seriously risks his chance to qualify for Tokyo. At minimum it means two weeks of no training, not a good thing when you're preparing for your trials. At worst it means the virus hits you hard and you'll be watching Tokyo in hospital. Not going to Silesia seems like a wise choice to make.

Comment

It's a meaningless meet.
                      I agree, in this specific covid year, the meet is basically irrelevant for American athletes. Mt. Sac is hosting a big World Athletics Continental Tour meet on May 9th and then Mt Sac Relays on the 14th-15th anyway.
                      Last edited by ATK; 04-19-2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Bahamas has a 7 day average of 36 cases over the past week. Just saying. Lol.

Comment

In one way, I wish everyone considered the meet irrelevant, so Poland could more easily qualify for the Olympics in all the events (currently, we're only qualified in the 4x4w and 4x4mx). But at the same time, I would like to see more major stars come to Chorzów. Elaine Thompson, Dafne Schippers, Asafa Powell and Femke Bol is a good start, but it would be nice to see more of them come here.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Why not a world postal meet....fastest times with prize money....and different combinations and relays...the meet in its present form has to be a money loser.

Comment

Why not a world postal meet....fastest times with prize money....and different combinations and relays...the meet in its present form has to be a money loser.
                              Because track speeds and conditions would make it 'meaningless'.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Because track speeds and conditions would make it 'meaningless'.
                                That too....but at least no one has to fly to a meaningless meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X