Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Relays 2021 - No USA.... & no JAM?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

That too....but at least no one has to fly to a meaningless meet.
    meaningless to you perhaps, but based on the one I went to, the hosts/local crowds/athletes were all rather invested; not everyone's a curmudgeon.

Comment

The World Cup started with great crowds and it faded away after the novelty wore off.

Anyways having it in the middle of a pandemic isn't very wise.
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-19-2021, 11:31 PM.

Comment

From WA's Olympic Games Qualifiation System...
        https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...standards/2021
        Top 8 teams go to the Olympics from this meet... is that not enough incentive for those that did not already qualify in Doha? or am I reading this wrong?...

"World Athletics Relays, 1-2 May 2021
        The first eight (8) placed NOCs at the World Athletics Relays Silesia 2021 shall automatically qualify for the relay events at the 2020 Olympic Games. In case an NOC already qualified through the World Athletics Championships Doha 2019, the remaining places will be allocated according to the World Athletics Top Performance Lists of 29 June 2021."

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
          Top 8 teams go to the Olympics from this meet... is that not enough incentive for those that did not already qualify in Doha? or am I reading this wrong?...
          I'm with ya, bro. I find it anything but meaningless, even now.
          I still want the 4x8s though.

Comment

In other years, the meet has been great. I was in Yokohama in 2019 and loved it. Even odd events like the 2x2x400 were super fun.

But were in a pandemic, and specifically for the United states team, the meet serves no purpose based on the potential risk. Not speaking about other countries though.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
              In other years, the meet has been great. I was in Yokohama in 2019 and loved it. Even odd events like the 2x2x400 were super fun.

But were in a pandemic, and specifically for the United states team, the meet serves no purpose based on the potential risk. Not speaking about other countries though.
              Yes, I believe USA and GBR are the only two countries who have an auto-Q in all 5 relays. JAM is auto-Qed in all but the m4x100, and sit 11th on the list there.

Comment

Not to be super-jingoistic, but without the USA there, it would be a WCT 'Bronze' event. Even with us there, it may only be a 'Silver'.

Comment

As I posted earlier, I totally get why teams not yet qualified for Tokyo would want to participate. I just don't get why countries who have qualified are sending teams in those events during a pandemic, and as norunner says, that could potentially be pretty disruptive to their preparation and health, and health of those around them. We saw from Torun the organisation & management at the hotels was questionable, and then a load of athletes got infected. Why risk going to the same country & it happening again?

On the other hand, we have the disaster that is the 4x200's to look forward to, and we can hope that at least one team takes a risk in the mixed 4x4 and runs a different sex order to the others 😁

Comment

World Athletics just posted the final entries. USA not sending any teams.

https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...ays-silesia-21

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                      USA not sending any teams.
                      Much as I hoped we could, better safe than sorry.

So why did the 4x8s get dropped in 2019/2021? Not enough 'competitive' countries?
                      Last edited by Atticus; 04-20-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE="we can hope that at least one team takes a risk in the mixed 4x4 and runs a different sex order to the others." 😁

[/QUOTE]

We can only hope that we never have to witness another charade of a 45 second male 400 meter runner chasing a 50 second female runner.

Comment

With all the gloom and doom predictions on this thread, the fields actually look pretty good in the Olympic events. Even out of the teams that have already qualified for Tokyo, it looks to me like most will be competing.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                            With all the gloom and doom predictions on this thread, the fields actually look pretty good in the Olympic events. Even out of the teams that have already qualified for Tokyo, it looks to me like most will be competing.
                            Despite my negativity about the US going to the 2021 World relays, I honestly think Tokyo may be one of the best Olympics in a long time simply because of the missed covid year.
                            Last edited by ATK; 04-20-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              So why did the 4x8s get dropped in 2019/2021? Not enough 'competitive' countries?
                              There wasn't much interest and the races generally weren't very close or exciting.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

There wasn't much interest and the races generally weren't very close or exciting.
                                The 4x800 is rarely ever even close to exciting.

Comment

Working...
                                X