Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    I get athletes are given back lost years of eligibility. Are the universities allowed to provide additional financial support to athletes?
    If the University feels the need they can do exactly that.

Comment

I get athletes are given back lost years of eligibility. Are the universities allowed to provide additional financial support to athletes?
      Yes, the NCAA allows (but does not require) scholarships to be extended, even where that means exceeding the maximum scholarship count for the sport; some universities decided against doing that.

Comment

Does anyone have splits fro the 4x400? Would love to know how Boling, Holloway, and the rest did.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

1 Martin, JoVaughn SO Florida State 9.94 1.6
          According to e newsletter.
          Previous PR was 10.40???
          Statgeeks - has anyone made a bigger jump to PR sub 10???

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post

Previous PR was 10.40???
            There definitely has been some. These are notable names that also had huge jumps:

Michael Norman: 10.27 - 10.86
            Ngoni Makusha: 10.57 - 9.97
            Wayde Van Niekerk: 10.48 - 9.98

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post
              Previous PR was 10.40???
              That jump is over the span of 2 years. He didn't compete outdoors in 2020.

If we compare the first-time sub 10 of other athletes to what their PR was 2 years prior, there probably are several with a bigger jump than that.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Yes, the NCAA allows (but does not require) scholarships to be extended, even where that means exceeding the maximum scholarship count for the sport; some universities decided against doing that.
                It will be interesting to see how many athletes take advantage of that extra year of eligibility with no financial assistance. Lots of them weren’t getting much to begin with so it is unlikely many will stick around. That said, of those who do, hopefully many will be in grad school since 2020 allowed them to make more progress toward graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

That jump is over the span of 2 years. He didn't compete outdoors in 2020.

If we compare the first-time sub 10 of other athletes to what their PR was 2 years prior, there probably are several with a bigger jump than that.
                  Because of COVID-19, a lot of athletes will have big gaps in the results, especially if they came from a state/school that doesn't have indoor rack.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how many athletes take advantage of that extra year of eligibility with no financial assistance. Lots of them weren’t getting much to begin with so it is unlikely many will stick around. That said, of those who do, hopefully many will be in grad school since 2020 allowed them to make more progress toward graduation.
                    Ive always wondered in general what the percentage is of students who have an extra year of eligibility and actually use it. Sure we usually see some more recognizable names from time to time, but I would guess the vast majority of athletes simply cant because they likely aren't going pro and "life" just has to start.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

Ive always wondered in general what the percentage is of students who have an extra year of eligibility and actually use it. Sure we usually see some more recognizable names from time to time, but I would guess the vast majority of athletes simply cant because they likely aren't going pro and "life" just has to start.
                      Indeed there must be very few, because they would have an unusual combination of circumstances:
                      • In their 5th or 6th year of college
                      • and: not good enough to go pro now, or good enough but want to finish their degree first
                      • and: their school wants to extend their scholarship, or they want to pay their own way for another year
                      Last edited by 18.99s; 04-19-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post

You're welcome. Fun to do
                        I had the same impression; I had not even noticed you before getting to the Board very late last night (while watching the NN Marathon) and suddenly we have another quality poster. So, I also heartily welcome you to the Board

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          There definitely has been some. These are notable names that also had huge jumps:

Michael Norman: 10.27 - 10.86
                          Ngoni Makusha: 10.57 - 9.97
                          Wayde Van Niekerk: 10.48 - 9.98
                          But the two I know had PRs in other events that were better than the improved new mark in the 100.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Indeed there must be very few, because they would have an unusual combination of circumstances:
                            • In their 5th or 6th year of college
                            • and: not good enough to go pro now, or good enough but want to finish their degree first
                            • and: their school wants to extend their scholarship, or they want to pay their own way for another year
                            I wonder if there is an inverse relationship between graduation in four years and amount of athletic scholarship. Ie the kids who get a full ride may be less focused on academics than those who only get a little help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post

I wonder if there is an inverse relationship between graduation in four years and amount of athletic scholarship. Ie the kids who get a full ride may be less focused on academics than those who only get a little help.
                              Probably. When you're on a partial scholarship or no scholarship, chances are you're not expecting to go the Olympics or go pro, and the lack of a full ride creates a greater sense of urgency to graduate in 4 or 4.5 years. You don't want to stick around for 5+ years unless you're in grad school or engineering. And when you're in grad school or the last year of engineering, you don't want to still be competing unless you're on a decent scholarship or have Olympic/pro prospects.

Comment

• Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post
                                9.94 (+1.6) JoVaughn Martin FSU
                                Forgot to.mention in my article that Martin had PRP therapy after grade 2 hamstring injury

Comment

Working...
                                X