• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

They are going to have it.
    Really? Where?

Comment

Originally posted by jupo View Post
      Really? Where?
      Outside...a place was built for the event..

Comment

The WC hammers will be held inside the stadium; all other meets outside.

Comment

Really? That should be interesting....

Comment

why should it be any different than all other WC/OG meets with hammer on infield?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              The WC hammers will be held inside the stadium; all other meets outside.
              Where would the cage go? The distance from the existing cage to the edge of the track doesn’t look like it could contain an 80+ metre throw

Comment

why should it be any different than all other WC/OG meets with hammer on infield?
                I could think of lots of reasons...safety for one...there was a reason it was on an off day in 2016... Hayward 2 infield is the same size as Hayward 1.

Why would they have it in the WCs for this and not in the Trials....it won't be the only event going on next year... we'll see but it appears planning might be as dubious as the temporary stands are.

Comment

Originally posted by trailrun View Post

Where would the cage go? The distance from the existing cage to the edge of the track doesn’t look like it could contain an 80+ metre throw
                  The existing cage is at the discus, where the throwing circle is a larger diameter than the hammer. So the hammer cage would be set up at a shot put ring (whose ring is the same diameter as hammer), just as it was for the 2016 OT.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

The existing cage is at the discus, where the throwing circle is a larger diameter than the hammer. So the hammer cage would be set up at a shot put ring (whose ring is the same diameter as hammer), just as it was for the 2016 OT.
                    I know the layout...

It was the only event going during 2016....for safety reasons. I was there in 1978 when the only previous throw flew across the track about 10 feet from me.

Anyways ....as I said they built a special area because it was too dangerous inside for the Trials and NCAAs..and yet it is suddenly safe during the WCs....the women's 10 will be going on during the men’s hammer.

They make grandiose promises like the stadium will hold 25-30,000 and they will be lucky to get 18,000 inside next year.

Fwiw I like the small size...but next year will be something..

Comment

let me answer my own question, at least in terms of layout. Hayward has stands running right close to the track on both sides, which means the horizontal jump runways are inside the track. Most big international installations have those runways outside the track. Would be more dangerous without proper scheduling.

Comment

The discus circle is in the same spot as Hayward 1...

Comment

The discus circle is in the same spot as Hayward 1...

which has nothing to do with the hammer

Comment

which has nothing to do with the hammer
                            Anyways the stadium configuration is identical to Hayward 1....good luck having the hammer with anything else going on.

I can't remember where they threw the hammer from in 2016...did they set up a special circle or just throw from the discus circle.....it was fun to watch on the off day.
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-26-2021, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I can't remember where they threw the hammer from in 2016...did they set up a special circle or just throw from the discus circle.....it was fun to watch on the off day.
                              It was thrown from the shot put circle closer to the west grandstand

https://youtu.be/_FnjuwlcUcQ

Comment

I was perusing the Eugene 2022 timetable again earlier, and whilst some events are scheduled better than in Tokyo, some are still not ideal.

The mixed 4x4 has the qualifying heats in the morning of Day 1, with the final the same evening. That might be fine for the USA, the only country who swapped all 4 runners from heat to final in Tokyo, but for the other nations, that's worse than the Olympic schedule.

If you need to rely on a male 400mhurdler, you're buggared, as the 400mh heats are the next day ( Day 2 morning session) and the SF on Day 3. You then have 1 day rest before the final on Day 5. (5x5 400m distances in 5 days!)

Your flat male and female 400m runners don't fair that much better, with 1 day rest after the mixed relay before their heats on Day 3. They then get plenty of rest until the SF (Day 6 for both) and final (Day 8)...but if they make the final, they may well have relay duties the very next evening on Day 9, before the final on Day 10.

The 400m final on Day 8 is pretty rubbish. Why not do hts Day 3, SF Day 5 & F Day 7, with then a gap to the 4x4? Again, the schedule favours the US who can switch up athletes between heats and final (the cynic in me would believe that was the intent!)

If anyone wants to do the 200/400 double, you have:
                                Day 3: 400m hts
                                Day 4: 200m hts
                                Day 5: 200m SF
                                Day 6: 400m SF
                                Day 7: 200m F
                                Day 8: 400m F

At the moment, I can't think of any elite non US athlete who would attempt the 200/400 double - and make the final - & who would be running the 4x4 hts on Day 8, but something could change in the next few months.

Comment

Working...
                                X