• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awsi Dooger
    replied
    Originally posted by smj View Post
    Gonna be tough for Mu to run the 4x4 final
    It could go the other way. It would be very easy to use Mu in the mixed 4 x 400 final, especially if she runs the 800 only. The gap is Friday night for the mixed final all the way to following Thursday for opening round of 800.

As others have pointed out in this thread, the aspect that immediately jumped out was the mixed event back to back sessions on opening day. They are several ways to look at that. One one hand it looks like they are trying to get it out of the way. Unquestionably it helps the teams with most depth and penalizes any team relying on a male 400 hurdler, since opening round is the following morning. But this schedule does enable star 400 women's hurdlers and women's 800 runners to contest the mixed, since both of those events are late in the program. Maybe they are trying to boost profile of the mixed by tempting teams and especially the United States to use their stars.

Otherwise I noted that Sifan Hassan has a very difficult opening stretch if she tries the triple again. Women's 1500 heats are opening night, 10,000 final the following morning, then 1500 semifinal the same night. She can get through that, given not the greatest depth at 1500 at the moment. And I think it is her best best interests to attempt it if Faith Kipyegon foolishly goes through with stated intention to switch to the 5000 after Tokyo. That would be a huge mistake, IMO, given the emergence of Niyonsaba. Kipyegon announced the plan a year ago, before there was any indication what Niyonsaba would do at longer distances. I hope Kipyegon sticks to 1500. Otherwise Hassan will say thank you very much and know darn well that if she gets through the 1500 semifinals she becomes favorite in the final a few nights later.

The women's 5000 is toward the end of the meet.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    but the site still isn't graved in stone
    Shirley, you jest!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Buried the lede - in the latest USATF Officials newsletter:

but the site still isn't graved in stone

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Since you post on every thread, you should be aware of the answer to this question.
    Since I started a thread with the answer, I guess I do!

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    While we're waiting for the USATF meet dates, do we know where/when the Marathon qualifying race is?
    Since you post on every thread, you should be aware of the answer to this question.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    While we're waiting for the USATF meet dates
    Buried the lede - in the latest USATF Officials newsletter:

The USATF Senior and U20 Championships will be held jointly on June 23-26.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    While we're waiting for the USATF meet dates, do we know where/when the Marathon qualifying race is?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Lover Lover
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post

I dont think there's any doubt Mu will be a solid sub-49 next season, especially if she's racing women like SMU. And with global championships for each of the next four years next season offers a great opportunity to spend some time focusing on the 400(especially considering the meet schedule). Also would help if there's an eye towards doubling in Paris and offering WA a reason to make that possible.
    I am a firm believer that she can run sub 49 as well. Whether that is next season from the blocks though I'm not sure. Shaunae ran the same time Mu ran in the relay, from the blocks and had miss 4 weeks of training and was supposedly nursing the hamstring. I'd imagine in Eugene she will be a little faster as well. I think next season she (Mu) should continue with the 800 but in addition add some 400s to her training regime.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    I don't know that Mu can run sub 49 next season but she's got to want to run the event first. The US is in the odd position where nearly all, if not all, of the country's best 400m runners are primarily running other events.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by Juicy News View Post

Unless she can run sub-49 and challenge SMU, why would she not do the 800?
    I dont think there's any doubt Mu will be a solid sub-49 next season, especially if she's racing women like SMU. And with global championships for each of the next four years next season offers a great opportunity to spend some time focusing on the 400(especially considering the meet schedule). Also would help if there's an eye towards doubling in Paris and offering WA a reason to make that possible.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Juicy News View Post

I agree here. An apparently injured SMU ran from blocks the same time Mu ran on an anchor leg relay split.

Leave a comment:

• Juicy News
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post

Not if she runs the 400, which actually would make a helluva lot of sense for Worlds next year.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by smj View Post
    Gonna be tough for Mu to run the 4x4 final
    Not if she runs the 400, which actually would make a helluva lot of sense for Worlds next year.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Guess they're planning on a cold front arriving, as the 10k's are both scheduled at high noon.
    gotta note that WA's wishes for international broadcast feeds play a significant role in scheduling

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Guess they're planning on a cold front arriving, as the 10k's are both scheduled at high noon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X