Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

there is someone on youtube who posts videos with commentary about medal picks for Tokyo...he/she picked DeGrasse for 100m gold...many commented they wish DeG well but that he would never beat Bromel...looks like the comments were spot on!
    Is it former spinter Monzavous Edwards? I know that he picked De Grasse for gold on his channel, although more recently he suggested that Tyson Gay might come through for a shock comeback win!

TWalsh is right though, De Grasse often looks unimpressive in the early season yet consistently shows up in great form at the major championships. That said, Bromell has been my secret pick for Tokyo gold since last year and I'm feeling more confident of that than ever.

Comment

DeG will be "just fine" but I am betting he will not be able to beat Bromel, Baker or Simbine

Comment

OK, got back a while ago. That was fun.

A. Bromell is a machine. He subscribes to the ‘don’t-ever look-like-you’re-trying school of sprinting. Mr. Cool all the way through.
        B. Stewart and Ross are channeling Evans and James. Stewart is all power and muscle. Ross is smooth and gliding.
        C. Holloway was right at home with a -2.0 wind. I fear for him in a +2.0.

But the highlight of the meet for me was Section 4 of the m400!
        The stadium was sparsely crowded, so I sat on the finish line about 1/3 of the way up. Apparently, I was in the middle of the Kennesaw St section. As the runners got ready to go, I heard what sounded like,

‘Party, Party, Party!’
        or
        ‘Sporty, Sporty, Sporty!’

When the gun went off, there was non-stop cheering, and I finally recognized what they were saying.
        I immediately went back to my childhood, to a movie my mom took me to in 1960 starring Kirk Douglas, and in a famous scene, everyone claimed to be the hero!
        I heard that name more times in the next 50 seconds (47.01 to be precise) than I have in the rest of my life combined, including in the movie! They were going nuts for him.
        It wasn’t spelled exactly the same as the movie guy, but there, winning the heat, to the glory of my part of the stands, was . . . Sparticus . . . (Griffin). I’m a fan now.

Comment

Assuming everyone remains healthy, Bromell is the clear gold medal favorite for Tokyo. Yes he still can lose, but I dont see anyone beating him with this consistency at this point. And he could very well be running 9.7 at trials, especially with his proven track record of getting better through the rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
            44.52 and 44.69 for Stewart and Ross... not a bad pair of 400 guys for A&T
            I find it interesting that they ran these races with the conference championship just a week away. The SEC Championship is two weeks away and most of LSU's heavy hitters are missing from tomorrow's start list. Coaches Ross and Shaver obviously have different philosophies when it comes to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post
              11.07(+1.9) Hannah Cunliffe
              This is her 2nd fastest time ever. Only behind her 10.99 from 2016

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I find it interesting that they ran these races with the conference championship just a week away. The SEC Championship is two weeks away and most of LSU's heavy hitters are missing from tomorrow's start list. Coaches Ross and Shaver obviously have different philosophies when it comes to rest.
                viewed from another angle, the AT&T runners have an extra week before the very-important Regionals than do the SEC kids.

Comment

The A&T guys won’t have to put up with stiff competition At their conference meet the way the SEC guys will. They can do quite well as a team at conference either—or both—cruising or running off events.

this may have been their toughest 400s until Eugene.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    Assuming everyone remains healthy, Bromell is the clear gold medal favorite for Tokyo. Yes he still can lose, but I dont see anyone beating him with this consistency at this point. And he could very well be running 9.7 at trials, especially with his proven track record of getting better through the rounds.
                    Gatlin and Baker are still medal threats and N Lyles WILL be in 9.8x shape then. . . do we get FOUR?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Gatlin and Baker are still medal threats and N Lyles WILL be in 9.8x shape then. . . do we get FOUR?
                      Right now, Bromell and Gatlin are the only 2 I would bet on to make the team. Lyles hasn't made me confident enough yet in the 100m. (I think he might be a 200m lock in Tokyo though)

Comment

Bromell's race video: https://youtu.be/gpXE_opqFS0

Didnt have nearly as quick of a reaction and separation at the start as in Oregon, but looked like he leaned back for his fist pump before the line knowing he was running fast.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                          Daniel Haugh 78.05 Tokyo Auto q. US hammer trials may actually be pretty interesting for once.
                          With four Americans with the Auto-Q (Winkler, McCullough, Donnelley & Haugh) and Young ranked in a good qualifying position, the US is the strongest nation in HT.
                          Strange times, indeed.

Comment

Okagbare looking good with 22.03w. Working with Rana Reider appears to be paying off and could challenge for medals again in Tokyo. Bromell and Cunliffe from the same squad looking good too. Takes really skill of a coach and dedication of athletes to come back after tough years with injuries and Reider has done it again.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                              I believe Glenn is still U20 eligible and would be =6 A-T U.S. in that category at 1.91.
                              I found a DOB of 17Apr02, which would make this correct, sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X