Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new golden wave for the US 400m?...

Quite many (potentially) sub-45" young talents as we can see in NCAA results...
    Last edited by 79; 04-30-2021, 10:44 PM.

We have had many young talents for a long time. Are you suggesting a possible return to say 2004-2008 (the Wariner/Merritt time period) where we fairly consistently had 3 of the top four or five world rankers?

Comment

Norman and Kerley (will he stick with 400?) are the real deal, but after that, there is still much to be proven.
      Williams, Deadmon, Stewart, Ross, Blockburger, Patterson, Robinson, Norwood, London, Montgomery, Strother . . . await their opportunity to prove themselves on the Big Stage this year.
      We ALWAYS have stars-in-the-making . . .

We will, however, to your point, have a KILLER 4x4, men and women!

Comment

There's 12 men who have run sub-45 as of today!
        Nine of them are Americans!
        Is this better than normal for May 3rd?
        (BTW, this comes from Tilastopaia!)

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          There's 12 men who have run sub-45 as of today!
          Nine of them are Americans!
          (BTW, this comes from Tilastopaia!)
          At the end of 2019 the USA had 7 of the top 11 times, so I doubt 9 of the top 12 on May 3rd is all that abnormal.

Comment

I would also note, though the US still has unmatched depth in the event, it has not really been in the driver seat of the mens 400m for about a decade now as it once was for the past 40-50 years (longer?). Essentially since about 2010/2011 when Kirani James came onto the scene. The rest of the world has really stepped up and continues to give the US a run for its money both in times and in global medals, and doesn't seem to be slowing down.
            Just 10 years ago, Gary Kikaya was the fastest non-American in history at 44.10.

Comment

Events the USA used to dominate

110H
              400H
              PV
              SP
              Dec

Comment

I agree with donley2 about the number of Americans at the top, certainly as a percentage of all performers...
                but if you were referring to the number of sub-45 performers 'before May 3' concept, then yes, there are more sub-45's performers this year, at this May 3 date, than ever before.

Previous years where we had a noticeable level of sub-45 performers before May 3 were, 1996: 7 Americans/8 Worldwide, and the last several years... 2015: 3/10, 2017: 3/6, 2018: 5/7 and 2019: 5/8... so 9/12 this year is pretty impressive.
                Source: Peter Larsson's alltime-athletics.com

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post

I agree with donley2 about the number of Americans at the top, certainly as a percentage of all performers...
                  but if you were referring to the number of sub-45 performers 'before May 3' concept, then yes, there are more sub-45's performers this year, at this May 3 date, than ever before.

Previous years where we had a noticeable level of sub-45 performers before May 3 were, 1996: 7 Americans/8 Worldwide, and the last several years... 2015: 3/10, 2017: 3/6, 2018: 5/7 and 2019: 5/8... so 9/12 this year is pretty impressive.
                  Source: Peter Larsson's alltime-athletics.com
                  Yes, I was referring to the total number of sub-45 men by May 3rd!
                  Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I wonder how many the world (and US) will produce by the end of May!!
                  Not to mention the ones already under 45 running more fast races!

Comment

I see Noah Williams set a sub-44"00 soon. After his very brilliant indoors, his 44"30 looks like an extremely promising performance!

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the total number of sub-45 men by May 3rd!
                      Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I wonder how many the world (and US) will produce by the end of May!!
                      Not to mention the ones already under 45 running more fast races!
                      The US has more warm areas early then the major competitors. Additionally, the collegiate scene is well ahead of the rest of the world in timing of serious competition. What happens to that list if you remove the collegians that are not far ahead of others?

Comment

As I posted on another thread, regarding the women, all 3 American 400m runners from Doha are average this season. Are we going to see 3 completely different women in the individual 400m come Tokyo?

Comment

Yes, US has great depth for sure, but Gardiner & Van Niekerk have been on another plateau since 2015. Norman has the best American chance for gold in Tokyo, and if no one gets injured, this will be one heck of an OLY final.

Comment

I'll admit, I've been out of the track fan game, for a bit. I just looked at the Oly standards for 400 (44.9). Seems like the "toughening" of the 400 mark won't phase the American field, much! As if the 400 standard ever did.....!

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23 View Post
                              the "toughening" of the 400 mark won't phase the American field, much!
                              I like the phase they're in now anyway, so I won't be fazed either!

Comment

Working...
                              X