Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Conference/Regional/NCAA/OT/OG Gauntlet

This is a continuation of a 'scenic route' the 'NCAA Results' thread took, wining the NCAA and Olympics in the same year.
    This was the list going back to 1960

Jeremy Wariner USA, 400m 2004
    Balazs Kiss HUN, HT 1996
    Quincy Watts USA, 400m 1992
    Paul Ereng KEN, 800m 1988
    Joaquim Cruz BRA, 800m 1984
    Randy Williams USA, LJ 1972
    Lee Evans USA, 400m 1968
    David Hemery GBR, 400mH 1968
    Dick Fosbury USA, HJ 1968
    Ralph Boston USA, LJ 1960

It just occurred to me how arduous this journey is. Considering how important the Conference Meet is to collegians, they have to navigate, in most cases,

Conference

2 weeks later
    Regional

2 weeks later
    NCAA

1 week later
    Oly Trials

and then a whole month off till the
    Olympics.

Jeremy Wariner did it in 2004 (tho his Conf win was voided by a lane violation).

He PRed at the Games!

It's difficult because college coaches use their athletes for maximum points--doubling and tripling them, whereas the Trials is usually just one event!
    If the athlete is truly World Class--way above Collegiate class level (like Duplantis & McLaughlin and others were)--then it's easier. But if they're just one of a crowd vying for the 3rd spot on the team, it's much more difficult. Few athletes are like Syd & Mondo when still collegiate athletes!

I can see Athing Mu, Noah Williams, JuVaughn Harrison, Terrance Laird as being a few of the athletes with a chance to double (NCAA & OT) and make the team!

Comment

As a random example from many years ago. In 2008 at the SEC meet Britney Reese did the LJ/TJ/HJ and 4X1 at the SEC meet. At Regionals and NCAA she only did LJ and 4X1. She went on to finish 4th in the Olympic LJ.

Comment

Your mention of Brittney Reese reminded me of Tianna Bartoletta's 2005 world championship year. In the Long Jump She won:

Indoor SECs & NCAA
        Outdoor SEC, Regionals & NCAA
        Outdoor World Championship Gold

At USA's though she barely finished 2nd. Her and Grace Upshaw both jumped 6.70m, but Upshaw's next best jump was 6.60m while Bartoletta's was 6.58m

Comment

What a grueling feat to be able to run that gauntlet!! The ONLY current athlete I think with a realistic of pulling that off this year is Athing Mu.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyclone View Post
            What a grueling feat to be able to run that gauntlet!! The ONLY current athlete I think with a realistic of pulling that off this year is Athing Mu.
            I think JuVaughn Harrison might actually have a better chance at it than Mu.

Comment

Are we missing maybe the best female candidate here? B. Reese is mentioned... T. Bartlotetta is mentioned... J. Harrison mentioned... yet, we are ignoring the powers of T&FN's Women's Top-3 Oly Formchart and the second longest LJer in the past 5 years. I believe Tara Davis is the only collegiate on that female top-3 Oly Formchart, and she does not have double-duty as J. Harrison does (who I think is the only collegiate on the men's Top-3 Oly Formchart). Tara only took 3 jumps in the indoor NCAAs... will have plenty of rest in between various meets, is on fire right now, has the longest jump in 2020-2021, and from 2017-to-date, only Mihambo has jumped further. She would be my best bet...

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

I think JuVaughn Harrison might actually have a better chance at it than Mu.
                You may be right but if he tried a high jump/long jump double that would make it harder. He is the #1 collegian in BOTH events.
                Any chance he will try to make the US team in both events!! If Harrison goes with just one event, I'm assuming it would be
                long jump since he is world leader in that event.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyclone View Post

You may be right but if he tried a high jump/long jump double that would make it harder. He is the #1 collegian in BOTH events.
                  Any chance he will try to make the US team in both events!! If Harrison goes with just one event, I'm assuming it would be
                  long jump since he is world leader in that event.
                  I think Harrison will likely go with the long jump too, and the Trials schedule makes a double nearly impossible, both in qualifying and the finals. Also, note that so far he's only taken a total of 3 long jump attempts this outdoor season, probably less than a lot of pros. And unlike runners, who have to run a predetermined number of rounds at conference, regionals, NCAA's and Trials, horizontal jumpers and throwers don't have to take all 6 attempts, they can take one and call it a day if they choose to.

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                    [Tara Davis] does not have double-duty as J. Harrison does.
                    She has the 100H too (and relays?)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      She'll definitely be running plenty of 100 hurdles races since she's ranked #2 in the nation but Texas hasn't used her in any relays this year.

Comment

yes... but don't you think she just concentrates on the LJ at the Trials?

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                          yes... but don't you think she just concentrates on the LJ at the Trials?
                          Olympic Trials:
                          June 19th - 100mH heats
                          June 20th - 100mH semis & final
                          June 24th - Long Jump qualifying
                          June 26th - Long Jump Finals

With that schedule, why not try for both?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                            Olympic Trials:
                            June 19th - 100mH heats
                            June 20th - 100mH semis & final
                            June 24th - Long Jump qualifying
                            June 26th - Long Jump Finals
                            With that schedule, why not try for both?
                            If the LJ were first, she certainly should, but the 100H might be a risk that she and her coach are not willing to take.

Comment

If the LJ were first, she certainly should, but the 100H might be a risk that she and her coach are not willing to take.
                              I agree. Plus, she is a borderline candidate for top-3. Why risk anything?

Comment

Working...
                              X