Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean McGorty in his first 3000SC ever (that I could find), and gets the Oly auto-Q... pretty impressive. Michalski also gets the Q. Jager drops out after 5 laps.

w3000SC - two more women with the Q, Falland and Howard.

So, for 3000SC, that's now 7 men with the Q and 6 women... setting up a very competitive OT.
    Last edited by miketandf; 05-10-2021, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mungo man View Post
      DK Metcalf did much better than I expected. I expected something like 10.70. The man weights 240 lb and doesn't train for this event. As far as I can tell he did not run track in college. And he carries NFL type injuries. Still he was able to run fast enough to win the Olympic trials of most countries.
      Not only did he not run track in college but he was just an average track athlete in high school. I don't know why anyone would think that he would be delusional enough to enter a pro track meet if his training didn't indicate that he could hold his own, and the fact that USATF essentially called him out last year makes me even more sympathetic to him.

Comment

• Metcalf acquitted himself more than admirably, and I tip my hat to the young man. That took some huevos to line up against the best of the best.

Comment

• Someone on Twitter said McGorty ran a faster debut in the Steeple than Jager did!
          Anyone remember what Jager's first was?
          (BTW, his DNF was planned, according to Paul Swangard.
          He was pacing McGorty and never planned to finish!)

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Have any of the US guys given recent indication they can run with them?
            No. But a few of them might have hung on to Olympic standard by just following Hoare and Knight. (Four of them closed under 56.0, the two leaders closed in 57 low.)
            But of course, they are all kickers. Why would anyone try to run even in a 1500m race?

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              Someone on Twitter said McGorty ran a faster debut in the Steeple than Jager did!
              Anyone remember what Jager's first was?
              8:26.14 at Mt SAC 2012 (not from memory)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                Richardson will probably get something of a shock in Gateshead (and perhaps even more of one if it was in Glasgow).

Expected maximum temperature in Gateshead that weekend is a balmy 14 degrees (57 farenheit).
                The temperature will have the same effect on everyone in the field. Provided her coach has his eye on the ball, she will likely do a modified warmup so muscles are not cold during the race. Leggings don't slow you down either. If I were coaching her, I'd have her increase magnesium intake in the days leading up to the race.
                Last edited by 1.609; 05-10-2021, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  This is her 7th best time ever and by far her fastest season opener. As I've mentioned after her recent 400m races, dont be surprised if she runs faster than the old WR (52.34) and disrupts the big 2.
                  Are Muhammad and SM’s first races at 400H going to be at the trials?? Race schedule strategy has been interesting. Especially for SM running well, but low hurdles, just one open 400m, etc. Haven’t heard a peep from DM. 🤷🏾‍♂️

May not be the most likely, but a scenario definitely exist where Little upsets both in Eugene.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post
                    I also think that if you can run 10.69 wind adjusted with a bad start, in your 2nd outing of the year, there's a good chance you can run even faster with a bad start in your next outing, if you are on a typical seasonal trajectory aimed at peaking when it counts.
                    The last if is a big if. This might already be her peak for the year; she hasn't proven her ability to make a Worlds or Olympic team and peak there in July or later. I'm not naming her the favorite until she wins at the US trials.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

The temperature will have the same effect on everyone in the field. .
                      The rest of the field will have run an important race in cold conditions in a foreign city before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

The rest of the field will have run an important race in cold conditions in a foreign city before.
                        Does that mean they will know better how to warm up? Is there some musculoskeletal adaptation that requires at least one race in cold weather? The main challenge is the reduced ability of muscles to contract as effectively in colder weather. Has Ms. Richardson never trained at 14 degrees? Do colder temperatures reduce confidence if you've never run in them before? Possibly. But I'm willing to bet her coach is smart enough to know that you don't assume England in May to be Florida or California. And 14 C is not that drastic. If it were 10 or less I'd be a bit more concerned. I've done a lot of sprinting in temperatures hovering just over 0 and you must do a more serious warmup. I did a 5k race in early March, a virtual one - I did successively longer sprints to get to the start point. The warmup itself was 2.5 km and involved an easy first 400, then 500, then another 500 , and without expending any more energy, pace dropped significantly each segment en route to the race start. It's all about understanding what it takes to get YOUR body ready. As long as she's properly warmed up, she will not disappoint.
                        Last edited by 1.609; 05-10-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                          Metcalf acquitted himself more than admirably, and I tip my hat to the young man. That took some huevos to line up against the best of the best.
                          Exactly, I saw the video a few times. Congrats for this brave - and surprisingly not shocking technically- first 100m. He was wasn't ridiculous at all. Of course he will run much faster with more experience against these very high-level sprinters. And as said before, if he loses weight. I also wonder what Tyreek Hill could have done.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

She has 2:

10.71 (-0.3)
                            10.72 (-0.3)

But again the time isnt my issue. Richardson could realistically run a legal 10.63 this year but it wouldn't surprise me if she lost in a championship final after rounds.
                            She just ran two 10.7s fifty minutes apart and one was worth 10.68..😂😂. Rounds will not matter

Comment

• Re Gateshead, it will be nothing more than a mouth watering head-to-head to give us a sprint queen fix, but it will bear little significance on what happens in Tokyo. I bet not all will be fully tapered for competition.

The women's 100m is still nearly 12 weeks away. A lot can happen between now and then. Running (super) fast in the first weeks of May does not always equate to championship gold, let us see their form in the first weeks of July (look at Thompson's 2016 season, she didn't run a legal 107 until a month before Rio, & her 200s were all over the place). Then there is navigating the rounds and final of the NCs, for both Americans and Jamaicans (ok, the JAM trials aren't nearly as deep usually, but remember 2008? VCB certainly does). Whilst the US standard doesn't look as great as it has been, and Richardson is head and shoulders above them all, weird things can and do happen at the NCs (did anyone really expect English Gardner to run a 10.7 in 2015 - or 2016 - or Torri Edwards to run a 10.7 in 2008?) Then if you do get in the team, you have to carry that form through to the Games (see Gardner and Edwards again..). Then, in her first ever international championship, outside her country, and an Olympic Games at that, not even a World Juniors or Worlds, she is going to have to bring her best. How well does she travel? We'll soon see. Then she will face one of the greatest competitors, arguably the greatest female 100m runner ever, in SAFP. And the defending champion in Thompson, who has already run 2 x 10.7s this season (I'm not interested in wind conversions at this stage of the season). And others, some of whom always peak brilliantly (DAS, Ta Lou..)

Richardson is in superlative form, no one can argue with that. But all of the above are factors. There's also the elephant in the room (her coaching & team set-up) which could bring it's own problems (it's certainly already brought finger-pointing on Twitter. Does she care? Possibly not, but who knows). She is going to face a lot of pressure in the build up to Tokyo, so let's see how she copes.

Comment

• On Metcalf, I was mightily impressed with how close he was, I thought with his size he would fade more over the last 40m and he'd run 10.6. But not wanting to p*ss on his or any of his fans parade, but has he been subjected to the same dope test conditions for the last 12 months as the other elite athletes here? If the NFL aren't signatories to the WADA code..?

Comment

Working...
                                X