Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mt. SAC 2021

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 47.14 debut.........Sorry, Tokyo, the WR's going down in Eugene!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

      I'm not naming her the favorite until she wins at the US trials.
      Would you name her favorite for the Trials at least? 😂 If so, we can say she’s favored to be the favorite. Lol
      Last edited by _Jay; 05-10-2021, 10:56 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

        Not only did he not run track in college but he was just an average track athlete in high school. I don't know why anyone would think that he would be delusional enough to enter a pro track meet if his training didn't indicate that he could hold his own, and the fact that USATF essentially called him out last year makes me even more sympathetic to him.
        I dont know anyone who predicted that he would run this fast. Not even Renaldo Nehemiah who besides playing both football and track, is a TV analyst. Now many people are being clever after the fact.
        Last edited by mungo man; 05-10-2021, 02:07 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mungo man View Post

          Renaldo Nehemiah who besides playing both football and track, is a TV analyst.
          And, I believe, Richardson's agent.

          Comment


          • The G'head showdown, IF everyone actually runs, will be epic, but my Magic 8-Ball says that

            a. it won't be a really fast time
            b. it will be over by 50m
            c. whoever wins will be the OG fave, but . . .

            the best part is that all these ladies now know it will take a (real-)WR to win in Tokyo, so everyone's training sessions will gain even more urgency, which will make everyone even better.

            This has the feel of a boxing match with THREE champions in the ring!!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 79 View Post

              Exactly, I saw the video a few times. Congrats for this brave - and surprisingly not shocking technically- first 100m. He was wasn't ridiculous at all. Of course he will run much faster with more experience against these very high-level sprinters. And as said before, if he loses weight. I also wonder what Tyreek Hill could have done.
              Yeah, in my mind Tyreek Hill could potentially be much, much faster. He has been there and done that already at a much higher level, coming within .01 of the HSR in the 200 back in his HS days (20.14) and winning a couple medals at the World U-20 champs in '12. He certainly did have sub-10 and sub-20 within reach. At 27 now, not sure what his potential would be if he trained 3-6 months.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                And the defending champion in Thompson, who has already run 2 x 10.7s this season (I'm not interested in wind conversions at this stage of the season). And others, some of whom always peak brilliantly (DAS, Ta Lou..)

                Richardson is in superlative form, no one can argue with that. But all of the above are factors. There's also the elephant in the room (her coaching & team set-up) which could bring it's own problems (it's certainly already brought finger-pointing on Twitter. Does she care? Possibly not, but who knows). She is going to face a lot of pressure in the build up to Tokyo, so let's see how she copes.
                Not sure why wind conversions become more interesting later in the season (which you imply), but ET has run one more 100 than SC so far. It appears we both enjoy a small dose of embellishment, so here's mine: As far as ET's alleged 2 x 10.7s go, one came with a +3.6 helper, so she may as well have been on a bike. And the other one was barely wind allowable at +1.8.

                Richardson just ran 10.77 (-1.2) and Thompson-Herah's best so far is 10.78 (+1.8). That's like 10.78 for both with SC at 0.0 and ETH at +3.0.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by steveu View Post
                  Tyreek Hill . . . At 27 now, not sure what his potential would be if he trained 3-6 months.
                  . . . and gave up MILLIONS of $$$!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mungo man View Post

                    I dont know anyone who predicted that he would run this fast. Not even Renaldo Nehemiah who besides playing both football and track, is a TV analyst. Now many people are being clever after the fact.
                    If you go back and read my post you'll see that I said he wouldn't enter a meet like this if his training didn't indicate that he would be able to hold his own.

                    Comment


                    • Apparently dos Santos had some 12-stride hurdles in the race. That's bodes scary-good for the future. He's definitely a threat to the Power Trio!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        The G'head showdown, IF everyone actually runs, will be epic, but my Magic 8-Ball says that

                        a. it won't be a really fast time
                        b. it will be over by 50m
                        c. whoever wins will be the OG fave, but . . .

                        the best part is that all these ladies now know it will take a (real-)WR to win in Tokyo, so everyone's training sessions will gain even more urgency, which will make everyone even better.

                        This has the feel of a boxing match with THREE champions in the ring!!
                        Why does DAS seem to get left out of the convo in this race? I know she has "only" run 10.83 (+0.1) but I feel she is more than capable of not only winning these one off races, but also breaking into 10.7x sometime this year.

                        With that said if either ETH or DAS were to win this race (which is very possible), I wouldn't feel confident enough to elevate either of them to favorite. ETH due to inconsistency at major champs, DAS due to speed.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          This is her 7th best time ever and by far her fastest season opener. As I've mentioned after her recent 400m races, dont be surprised if she runs faster than the old WR (52.34) and disrupts the big 2.
                          Don't forget that she's also run a couple of 800's too. If she's strong enough to take 15 steps the whole way, that could make things interesting. I find the different approaches that Little and McLaughlin have taken this season fascinating, and I suppose it speaks to what they believe their weaknesses are. I wonder what Muhammad is working on.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

                            Not sure why wind conversions become more interesting later in the season (which you imply), but ET has run one more 100 than SC so far. It appears we both enjoy a small dose of embellishment, so here's mine: As far as ET's alleged 2 x 10.7s go, one came with a +3.6 helper, so she may as well have been on a bike. And the other one was barely wind allowable at +1.8.

                            Richardson just ran 10.77 (-1.2) and Thompson-Herah's best so far is 10.78 (+1.8). That's like 10.78 for both with SC at 0.0 and ETH at +3.0.
                            I should clarify. It's not so much early season in terms of the calendar, more that I don't lend much credence to wind readings in these early season meets, that are always held in windy, open stadiums. The wind readings are erratic and inconsistent - such is the nature of wind! - but they never give me confidence, and I have more faith seeing fast times in big stadiums with seating and stands all the way round.

                            Thus, I read both ET's AND Richardson's wind readings with caution. Was ET's heavily assisted and Richardson's into the wind? I'm not sure. For me, a supposed -1.2 for the w100m final doesn't yet make sense, as behind Richardson, for example, I don't think VCB is yet in 11.21 form basic, which conversions suggest.

                            Regardless, the gap between Richardson and the rest of the field was huge. For Thompson, her early season results show she cannot be discounted.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Apparently dos Santos had some 12-stride hurdles in the race. That's bodes scary-good for the future. He's definitely a threat to the Power Trio!
                              Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

                              Don't count Dos Santos out, he is really young (2000) and has just taken a big chunk out of his previous PB ... Very solid race from him, 12 strides H4/H5 then gets back to 13 till the end, impressive length. 0.2/0.3 slower at H5 than he was at Drake but still manages to be half a second quicker. He's apparently 2m tall, so will he be able to maintain a 12 strides for longer, would it be useful ?
                              Benjamin already able to keep the 13 strides pattern all the way, his clearances seem pretty poor though, when compared to McMaster's, who transitioned at H8.
                              Interesting no note that McMaster has decided to change his lead leg since 2019. From left to right, from a 21 strides approach to the first hurdle to 20 strides which is probably more agressive but that's already a trademark. Previous PB 47.54 in 2018 with a transition at H8 too.
                              Concerning lead leg : left (Warholm, Dos Santos), right (Benjamin, Samba, McMaster).
                              Already 3 sub-48 guys in May, Samba to open his season in Doha, Warholm ? 6 guys under 48 is the best we've had in a full season, could it be beaten in 2021 ?

                              Comment


                              • If dos Santos and McMaster (+Burrell??!!) can get in the low 47s, we're in for a bombastic show-down.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X