Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    and I have more faith seeing fast times in big stadiums with seating and stands all the way round.
    Just for some context, here are the wind readings from the 100m at the meet held at the Tokyo Olympic stadium this weekend:

Mens 100m
    Heat 1: -0.2
    Heat 2: -0.4
    Finals: 0.0

Womens 100m
    Heat 1: -1.1
    Heat 2: -0.8
    Heat 3: +1.4
    Heat 4: -0.1
    Semi 1: +0.8
    Semi 2: -0.1
    Finals: +0.4

Comment

• Considering how well yesterday went for Metcalf, now would be a good time for USATF to tweet something at Tyreek Hill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        If dos Santos and McMaster (+Burrell??!!) can get in the low 47s, we're in for a bombastic show-down.
        You're a bit optimistic about Burrell ^^
        I don't see any other athlete in the low 47 this year, some folks may well dip under 48 though, Selmon, Lattin, Holmes, maybe Hall for the US, also Vaillant, Lahoulou, Copello again, what about Dobek, not giving up on Zazini either ...

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
          You're a bit optimistic about Burrell
          Have you seen the video? I've NEVER seen a worse 49.12. His 15s will be a problem, but the kid is fast AND strong.
          When he figures out the event, 'Whoa Nellie', as Keith Jackson was wont to say!
          I would actually be surprised if he doesn't make our team and the Tokyo Final, which, at this point, is INSANE to think. [ATK, gm, TWalsh, and many others can vouch for my lack of rationality in this regard.]

Comment

Have you seen the video? I've NEVER seen a worse 49.12. His 15s will be a problem, but the kid is fast AND strong.
            When he figures out the event, 'Whoa Nellie', as Keith Jackson was wont to say!
            I would actually be surprised if he doesn't make our team and the Tokyo Final, which, at this point, is INSANE to think. [ATK, gm, TWalsh, and many others can vouch for my lack of rationality in this regard.]

Your opinion on Burrell isn't that far fetched. He has tons of raw talent, and there is a chance he can make the US Olympic Team. I'm just not sure that he will be able to figure everything out in time to make the Olympic Final. That might be asking too much of this talented young man.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
              Just for some context, here are the wind readings from the 100m at the meet held at the Tokyo Olympic stadium this weekend:

Mens 100m
              Heat 1: -0.2
              Heat 2: -0.4
              Finals: 0.0

Womens 100m
              Heat 1: -1.1
              Heat 2: -0.8
              Heat 3: +1.4
              Heat 4: -0.1
              Semi 1: +0.8
              Semi 2: -0.1
              Finals: +0.4

From Sunday at Walnut:

Women 100 3:18 PM

Heat 1
              Wind: 1.1 m/s

Heat 2
              Wind: 1.8 m/s

Men 100 3:32 PM

Heat 1
              Wind: 0.3 m/s

Heat 2
              Wind: 1.0 m/s

Women 100H 3:48 PM

Heat 1
              Wind: 1.4 m/s

Heat 2
              Wind: 0.9 m/s

Women 100 Final 4:57 PM
              Results
              Wind: -1.2 m/s

Men 100 Final 5:03 PM
              Results
              Wind: 1.9 m/s

100H Women Final 5:11 PM
              Wind: 2.0 m/s

The 100 heats at Walnut (6 of them) stayed within a more narrow range than the heats and finals at Tokyo (10). Range (difference between lowest and highest values) at Tokyo = 2.5, range in Walnut = 1.5. Range in Walnut occurred over a 30 minute period (heats) . Sample sizes not equal but I don't think it would matter. The greatest difference at Tokyo was in the first 3 heats of the women's event.

One hour later in Walnut, you spot the outlier. The wind has changed direction, but only momentarily. 6 minutes later, it's reversed direction, and is almost identical over the next two races, spread 8 minutes apart. The wind at Walnut was not erratic and inconsistent, it was actually remarkably consistent.

I was surprised to get home yesterday, and look at the wind my Garmin reported after an interval workout. 9 intervals, first 3 wind blowing North, then for 2 it reversed and was south, then last 3 north again. I'm far from being any kind of meterological expert, but I can spot peculiar data when I see it. I don't know how common or unusual it is for reversal of wind direction at track meets. Intuitively, it seems more likely to happen at Walnut, than Tokyo. As Wiederganger remarked, one's open, and the other has seating and stands, all the way around, so it's more shielded. But, it happened at Tokyo - Women Heat 1 -1.1, Heat 3 +1.4.

Conclusion: Richardson's -1.2 should not surprise anyone.
              Last edited by 1.609; 05-10-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

If you go back and read my post you'll see that I said he wouldn't enter a meet like this if his training didn't indicate that he would be able to hold his own.

Plenty of athletes have huge egos or are delusional or are desperate for attention: Michael Jordan tried baseball. Justin Gatlin and Dwayne Chambers tried NFL, Marion Jones tried the WNBA, Ochocinco tried MLS, Tracey McGrady tried MLS. etc etc............None of these people had any training to suggest that they would make the cut. There is no way to predict what Metcalf was one of these delusional athletes. He sure as heck did not look like a 10.37 runner. Thats why Renaldo Nehemiah and others were saying he would be blown away. And nobody I know of said Metcalf was ready to compete because Metcalf kept so much under wraps.

Comment

If dos Santos and McMaster (+Burrell??!!) can get in the low 47s, we're in for a bombastic show-down.
                  "high-sounding but with little meaning; inflated"

???

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                    "high-sounding but with little meaning; inflated"???
                    my bad, I meant flambastic!

Comment

• Originally posted by mungo man View Post

Plenty of athletes have huge egos or are delusional or are desperate for attention: Michael Jordan tried baseball. Justin Gatlin and Dwayne Chambers tried NFL, Marion Jones tried the WNBA, Ochocinco tried MLS, Tracey McGrady tried MLS. etc etc............None of these people had any training to suggest that they would make the cut. There is no way to predict what Metcalf was one of these delusional athletes. He sure as heck did not look like a 10.37 runner. Thats why Renaldo Nehemiah and others were saying he would be blown away. And nobody I know of said Metcalf was ready to compete because Metcalf kept so much under wraps.
                      That's all fine but let's go back to your original statement that no one could have predicted it. It's a fact that I did predict it. I didn't know it but I believed it. Had Metcalf run a 10.97, I wouldn't come here and say no one predicted it when clearly you and many other folks did predict that he would embarrass himself, I would admit that I was wrong and you were right.

Comment

• I would like to see all our sprinters put on helmets and full pads, run down Mr. Baker and tackle him as DK did. It was a phenomenal feat, and I was impressed with everything about DK at Mt SAC.
                        He did better than 99% of T&F experts said he would and it was great for our sport.

Comment

I would like to see all our sprinters put on helmets and full pads, run down Mr. Baker and tackle him as DK did. It was a phenomenal feat, and I was impressed with everything about DK at Mt SAC.
                          He did better than 99% of T&F experts said he would and it was great for our sport.
                          Amen to all of this and remember, he got called out by USATF, he's not some narcissistic, delusional football player who thought he could make the Olympic team, he was minding his own business and got challenged by the sport's governing body.
                          Last edited by jazzcyclist; 05-10-2021, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• It's this footage which blows my mind: https://www.instagram.com/p/COqtAKsB...d=gif8la75jpon

The turnover and speed off the ground is incredible.

While I've seen Thompson in 2017 look like that, it's SAFP's complete race that gets her to 10.7 low, just as she did in 2019 with her Doha run looking as good as any before.This is why it's hard not to back her, even if she's beaten in the lead up to Tokyo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                              It's this footage which blows my mind: https://www.instagram.com/p/COqtAKsB...d=gif8la75jpon
                              The turnover and speed off the ground is incredible.
                              She looks like a video-game version of a sprinter. If she stays healthy I see both 10.6-mid and an undefeated season . . . **JINX** . . . I take it all back! She'll do OK this year.
                              What I really want is that everyone is at the top of their game, and we'll have a season for the ages, regardless of who wins. I have a soft spot for ET(H), so if she ends up winning, that's OK too.

Comment

I would like to see all our sprinters put on helmets and full pads, run down Mr. Baker and tackle him as DK did. It was a phenomenal feat, and I was impressed with everything about DK at Mt SAC.
                                Agreed.

Because of DK the meet the sport was headline news all over the sporting world today. DK, Ato Boldon, and Sha'Carri were all mentioned as top stories on ESPN throughout the day including their main shows Sportscenter, Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. Ato was also a guest on Dan Patrick's show today to speak about everything that happened on Sunday. It was fun, turned out to be a good meet and because of DK the sport got heavy American coverage in early May. Hopefully that brings in a little more attention to the rest of the outdoor season leading into the Olympics.

Comment

Working...
                                X