Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mungo man View Post

Plenty of athletes have huge egos or are delusional or are desperate for attention: Michael Jordan tried baseball. Justin Gatlin and Dwayne Chambers tried NFL, Marion Jones tried the WNBA, Ochocinco tried MLS, Tracey McGrady tried MLS. etc etc............None of these people had any training to suggest that they would make the cut.
    Marion was an exceptional basketball player in college and was quite qualified to take a shot at playing professionally. In her 3 years of playing at UNC, she averaged 16.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.3 steals and shot 53.0% playing on teams that went 91-10, made the sweet 16 twice and won a national championship.

Comment

• Bring back DK or anyone else who can draw the spotlight to the world's greatest sport. I welcome them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
        Bring back DK or anyone else who can draw the spotlight to the world's greatest sport. I welcome them all.
        Get Mahomes to throw the javelin!
        Get some 6'6/280 D-linemen to put the shot!
        Some NBA dunkers to HJ or LJ!

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
          Bring back DK or anyone else who can draw the spotlight to the world's greatest sport. I welcome them all.
          I totally agree.

Comment

• Any video of Shamire Little's 400mH race? Have yet to see it online anywhere

Comment

• Originally posted by Soijai View Post

Marion was an exceptional basketball player in college and was quite qualified to take a shot at playing professionally. In her 3 years of playing at UNC, she averaged 16.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.3 steals and shot 53.0% playing on teams that went 91-10, made the sweet 16 twice and won a national championship.
              Being an exceptional college player does not translate to being great at the next level. Some players are perfectly suited to the college game but sometimes those skills dont translate to the pros. Until a person actually works out against pro-players. Jimmer Freddette , Adam Morrison, Bo Kimble, Luke Jackson Hasheem Thabeet ..............

More importantly about Marion is that she was away from basketball for 12 years then attempted a comeback at the age of 34. Her chances of having an impact were extremely low and pundits did not give her much of a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                That's all fine but let's go back to your original statement that no one could have predicted it. It's a fact that I did predict it. I didn't know it but I believed it. Had Metcalf run a 10.97, I wouldn't come here and say no one predicted it when clearly you and many other folks did predict that he would embarrass himself, I would admit that I was wrong and you were right.

When did you predict it?
                I only see your statement after the fact

Comment

When did you predict it?
                  He didn't call out a time. But someone on the board did call out a 10.35 on twitter before the race. So I would say it was not "impossible" to guess at a time.

Comment

When did you predict it?
                    Have you browsed through the pre-race posts on this thread? Maybe you should try reading a little bit.😏

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                      He didn't call out a time. But someone on the board did call out a 10.35 on twitter before the race. So I would say it was not "impossible" to guess at a time.
                      I thought 10.50 would be good, but suspected slower. He sure made the race more fun and had a great attitude about it afterward. He only faded after 50m, which is where his lack of sprint training and relaxation would get you. At his size and lack of sport-specific training, he did phenomenally well!

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Have you browsed through the pre-race posts on this thread? Maybe you should try reading a little bit.😏
                        Yes.
                        And I don't see anyone definitively predicting 10.37 or anything close

Comment

Yes.
                          And I don't see anyone definitively predicting 10.37 or anything close
                          In jazz defense:
                          Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                          I would think that if his training is going that bad he'll scratch rather than get embarrassed. I doubt that he'll show up if his training doesn't indicate sub-10.4.

Comment

Being an exceptional college player does not translate to being great at the next level. Some players are perfectly suited to the college game but sometimes those skills dont translate to the pros. Until a person actually works out against pro-players. Jimmer Freddette , Adam Morrison, Bo Kimble, Luke Jackson Hasheem Thabeet ..............

More importantly about Marion is that she was away from basketball for 12 years then attempted a comeback at the age of 34. Her chances of having an impact were extremely low and pundits did not give her much of a chance.
                            You lumped her in with people you declared delusional or desperate for attention. At least one of them qualifies for that, but all of those others were failures at their attempts. No one forced a team to sign her, but Tulsa did and she played for them in a minor role. One of these things is not like the others...
                            Last edited by Soijai; 05-11-2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Plenty of athletes have huge egos or are delusional or are desperate for attention: Michael Jordan tried baseball. Justin Gatlin and Dwayne Chambers tried NFL, Marion Jones tried the WNBA, Ochocinco tried MLS, Tracey McGrady tried MLS. etc etc.
                              Originally posted by Soijai View Post
                              Michael Jordan saw Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson succeed, so he had reason to believe he could too.
                              Justin Gatlin and Dwain Chambers saw MANY track stars (Bob Hayes, Willie Gault) succeed.
                              Marion Jones did NOT embarrass herself in BBall.
                              The rest, most notably USAIN BOLT, thought they could succeed, with very little likelihood, but at least they tried to chase another dream!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Michael Jordan saw Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson succeed, so he had reason to believe he could too.
                                Justin Gatlin and Dwain Chambers saw MANY track stars (Bob Hayes, Willie Gault) succeed.
                                Marion Jones did NOT embarrass herself in BBall.
                                The rest, most notably USAIN BOLT, thought they could succeed, with very little likelihood, but at least they tried to chase another dream!
                                Unlike Jordan, Sanders and Jackson were elite college baseball players, and baseball requires too much skill that takes years to hone in order for a relative novice like Jordan to succeed. Similarly, you can't take a world class javelin thrower and make an NFL quarterback or MLB pitcher out of him despite that fact he has the necessary physical tools.

On the other hand, football defensive lineman is mostly about raw athleticism which is why folks with little or no football experience (eg. Marcus Hunt, Michael Strahan) can rise to the top relatively quickly. Sprinting is sort of like defensive line, it's mostly about athleticism, not years and years of finely crafted skill.

Over the last 5 or 6 years, the most dominant sprinters at the Louisiana State High School Championships all signed LSU foitball scholarships and Donte Jackson is the only one who ever set a foot on the track after high school. If tomorrow, sprinting started paying what the NFL does, a lot of today's sprinters would no longer be able to get lanes by next year. I sense a lot of resentment from sprinters who tried the major sports growing up but couldn't cut it at the highesthowever.

Having said all this, I agree with your larger point that folks who pursue their dreams should be applauded not ridiculed.

Comment

Working...
                                X