Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear SMU is no longer down to run?

Comment

These multiple scratches hurt the sport's marketability...hard to grow a fan base with a depleted product.
      I'm sure that some of the dropouts are injury related, but others are not.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
        These multiple scratches hurt the sport's marketability...hard to grow a fan base with a depleted product.
        I'm sure that some of the dropouts are injury related, but others are not.
        This is an old story!
        The only possible solution would be to punish the DNS's.
        If an injury can be proven, a DNS is okay, but they should still make an appearance.
        (Of course, with few or no fans at the stadium, that won't be a serious loss!)
        Also, maybe fine them for a No Show!
        It's bad enough that the big stars avoid each other by running in separate races!

Comment

Race day and Lashawn Merritt has not scratched yet. I seem to recall his last few races were always a late scratch so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do out there against the Normans of the world. Im hoping he can put up a mid 44 today and become an experienced senior presence on a 4x4 in the OG. Id love to see him and Allyson Felix win golds in a 4x4 relay to close out their careers.

Comment

live results and 'final' entries... unfortunately, more scratches
            https://results.usatf.org/2021GoldenGames/

Comment

Well, I guess you can scratch my last comment as well. All these late scratches are depressing.

Comment

Despite a few scratches, this meet is still stacked to the brim. I mean SMU has already run 49.0 and 22.0. Maybe a little pain she didn't want to risk, but I'd rather see her potentially run 21.6 later on than maybe run 21.9 today and miss the Olympics in the worst case scenario. Same for Brazier.

Comment

Looks like strange/inconsistent seeds in 200/400 A vs. B races... e.g. a 45.6 guy in the A race (field of 8) and a 44 flat guy in the B race (field of 4), with the w400H run in between... weird...

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                    Looks like strange/inconsistent seeds in 200/400 A vs. B races... e.g. a 45.6 guy in the A race (field of 8) and a 44 flat guy in the B race (field of 4), with the w400H run in between... weird...
                    That 44.01 was in 2016 for Cedenio. Seeding is probably fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                      Everyone in the A race has run 45.80 or better in the past 5 months. No one in the B race has run better than 45.7 in the past 2 years.

Comment

• Good points - understood... So you can see why I was just hoping Knighton's long trip would find him in the A race with his recent 20.31 (better than SB's from Brown and Webb's windy mark) ... he will have to prove his value by time I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post

This is an old story!
                          The only possible solution would be to punish the DNS's.
                          If an injury can be proven, a DNS is okay, but they should still make an appearance.
                          (Of course, with few or no fans at the stadium, that won't be a serious loss!)
                          Also, maybe fine them for a No Show!
                          It's bad enough that the big stars avoid each other by running in separate races!
                          The problem is that no single meet promoter would dare to be the first one to try and sign-up athletes with such a deal as they would struggle to get anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                            The problem is that no single meet promoter would dare to be the first one to try and sign-up athletes with such a deal as they would struggle to get anyone.
                            And why would you even try and guess why an elite felt the need to pull out?
                            They're walking on razor-thin margins of injury at this point, as they push themselves extra hard.

Comment

• If the Yankees played the Red Sox, or my beloved Bears met the Packers and half the stars of each team decided at the last minute to not play, I wouldn't watch it either.
                              And they wonder why many sports fans only want to watch the Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paced View Post

Too many good match-ups to mention, but I think I'm most interested in seeing Benjamin vs. McMaster. The latter is the forgotten 400m hurdler who is more than capable of grabbing a medal
                                Don't forget Dos Santos. He made Doha final as U-20 and smoked Kenny Selmon 2 weekends ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X