Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Crouser, the GOAT?...

Very explicit stastistics: 117 throws > 22m00... The second one in history is Ulf Timmerman (39 throws). And not an Asafa Powell profile: already reached the individual​​​​​​ Olympic Everest. And probably in the best shape of his career today. What a champion!
    Last edited by 79; 05-09-2021, 05:30 PM.

And with two very good competitors, if on their own, we would think of them as Olympic favorites.

Comment

Agreed. Impressive stats. Lets hope he keeps going.

Comment

He will be consider as one of the best or best if he wins another Olympic gold in Tokyo or Paris and set a new world record even by a centimeter.

Question: Who is the record holder and what is the record total for both hands? For example 22m one hand and 18m another. Thanks.

Comment

When considering the Greatest Of All Time in an event you have to consider the standards of the time when people competed. Otherwise, for example, you could end up arguing that any guy with numerous comps over 19.69 is greater than Parry O'Brien.

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post

Question: Who is the record holder and what is the record total for both hands? For example 22m one hand and 18m another. Thanks.
            I can't find anything to confirm it, but my memory tells me it's Al Feuerbach. I have no idea how far he threw with his left hand, but it is worth noting that although he threw the shot right-handed, he was left-handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
              When considering the Greatest Of All Time in an event you have to consider the standards of the time when people competed. Otherwise, for example, you could end up arguing that any guy with numerous comps over 19.69 is greater than Parry O'Brien.
              The Shot Put is a hard one to rationalize as 'era-related'. It's not the shoes or the track or the implement, One could say it's the rotational technique, but there are plenty of 70-foot gliders.
              It CAN be argued that any 20m thrower is better than O'Brien, but that completely misses the impact of his performance at the time.

Comment

The most likely outcome is that he finishes the year with the WR, a gold medal, and a slew of additional 22M throws.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  The most likely outcome is that he finishes the year with the WR, a gold medal, and a slew of additional 22M throws.
                  Not sure where Walsh is now, but Kovacs is one big dude to have to go through!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

I can't find anything to confirm it, but my memory tells me it's Al Feuerbach. I have no idea how far he threw with his left hand, but it is worth noting that although he threw the shot right-handed, he was left-handed.
                    I remember that....I think it was at the backyard Big Guys Games... it was well over 60 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I remember that....I think it was at the backyard Big Guys Games... it was well over 60 feet.
                      definitely not at the Big Guys affairs (I announced them all)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Not sure where Walsh is now, but Kovacs is one big dude to have to go through!
                        The men’s SP is an incredibly strong event right now. I loved having a meet with three competitors within 1cm of each other with the best marks in decades,

Comment

definitely not at the Big Guys affairs (I announced them all)
                          I knew you did...I remember the write ups..I wished I could have seen one of those....definitely one of the coolest track meets ever...

Anyways I remember Feuerbach doing it....didn't Oldfield do something similar?

Of course the great trick with a shot was at Munich where someone flicked a shot on the ground with his foot up in the air and caught it waist height. Even George Woods was impressed.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-09-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Of course the great trick with a shot was at Munich where someone flicked a shot on the ground with his foot up in the air and caught it waist height. Even George Woods was impressed.
                            that vignette appeared in a sidebar I wrote to the main Munich news story. I managed to sneak into the Olympic Village without a credential (after the massacre no less) and went and watched a practice session. It was Komar who did it, catching it with an overhand grip. Feuerbach's reaction was "Ah, you don't think Oldfield couldn't do that if he wanted?"

Comment

that vignette appeared in a sidebar I wrote to the main Munich news story. I managed to sneak into the Olympic Village without a credential (after the massacre no less) and went and watched a practice session. It was Komar who did it, catching it with an overhand grip. Feuerbach's reaction was "Ah, you don't think Oldfield couldn't do that if he wanted?"
                              One of my favorite bits from the Munich write up.

It is a great party trick....I remember Oldfield playing to the crowd surrounding the shot area during the 1976 Trials practice... if Oldfield ever tried it I don't remember..

Comment

Working...
                              X