Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 79 View Post
    Very explicit stastistics: 117 throws > 22m00... ...!
    Being even more elitist he has 34 of history's 64 puts over 22.50:

Crouser 34, Timmerman 7, Andrei & Kovacs 4, Romani & Walsh 3, Beyer & Günthör 2, Barnes, Brenner, Cantwell, Nelson & Oldfield 1

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Being even more elitist he has 34 of history's 64 puts over 22.50:

Crouser 34, Timmerman 7, Andrei & Kovacs 4, Romani & Walsh 3, Beyer & Günthör 2, Barnes, Brenner, Cantwell, Nelson & Oldfield 1
      Definite GOAT . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
        Definite GOAT . . .
        Most throws Over 22.50 - YES
        Greatest Of All Time - Absolutely NOT

Crouser is still work in progress. In a few years, he probably will end up being the GOAT. But right now his zero World Championship Golds and only one Olympic Gold do not equal GOAT!
        Last edited by TWalsh; 05-09-2021, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

Crouser is still work in progress. In a few years, he probably will end up being the GOAT. But right now his zero World Championship Golds and only one Olympic Gold do not equal GOAT!
          Nice WIP! So who would be your GOAT?

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
            Nice WIP! So who would be your GOAT?
            IMO, Parry O'Brien is the GOAT. He was the Olympic champion in 1952 and 1956 and won silver in 1960. He was the world’s leading shot-putter for seven years and broke the world record seventeen times. He won 116 consecutive competitions and revolutionized the event using a new technique. Crouser is on his way to being the GOAT. But his body of work right now during his career does not match what O'Brien accomplished.

Comment

IMO, Parry O'Brien is the GOAT. He was the Olympic champion in 1952 and 1956 and won silver in 1960. He was the world’s leading shot-putter for seven years and broke the world record seventeen times. He won 116 consecutive competitions and revolutionized the event using a new technique. Crouser is on his way to being the GOAT. But his body of work right now during his career does not match what O'Brien accomplished.
              what he said

Comment

Agreed. Crouser is on his way but really needs more than one major title to claim GOAThood.

Comment

In the last three championship meets Crouser has a gold and silver. His competitors have a gold and two silvers - Kovacs - and a gold and two bronzes - Walsh.

Comment

Agree to the part that he is not currently the GOAT.
                    Disagree about the few years part. IMO if he throw a WR in the Olympic final he will have a series claim for the title.

Edit - first time in my life I used IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      The Shot Put is a hard one to rationalize as 'era-related'. It's not the shoes or the track or the implement
                      Every event is era related, simply because our knowledge of training and all it's elements (& nutrition ) has changed drastically over the years. Especially in the technical events.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                        Every event is era related, simply because our knowledge of training and all it's elements (& nutrition ) has changed drastically over the years. Especially in the technical events.
                        The weight-lifting aspect has become more event-specific and that certainy helps.

Comment

All time best IMO
                          Parry O'Brien, Udo Beyer, Randy Matson, I have to pick a Michigan man Ralph Rose (WR holder for over 15 years?), Randy Barnes (I know ! ), Ulf Timmermann, Dallas Long (perhaps ahead of Randy and Ulf), Tomasz Majewski is neck and neck with Ryan Crouser, it is really hard to pick number 10 but I suggest George Woods ahead of Adam Nelson (great guy).

One more Olympic gold and 1 cm improvement of WR take Ryan to solid #2 or even one.

One more Olympic medal (any color) and WC gold makes him #4 IMO.
                          Last edited by GHM; 05-10-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post
                            All time best IMO
                            Parry O'Brien, Udo Beyer, Randy Matson, I have to pick a Michigan man Ralph Rose (WR holder for over 15 years?), Randy Barnes (I know ! ), Ulf Timmermann, Dallas Long (perhaps ahead of Randy and Ulf), Tomasz Majewski is neck and neck with Ryan Crouser, it is really hard to pick number 10 but I suggest George Woods ahead of Adam Nelson (great guy)..
                            Too many off-the-track extra-curriculars to make a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

I can't find anything to confirm it, but my memory tells me it's Al Feuerbach. I have no idea how far he threw with his left hand, but it is worth noting that although he threw the shot right-handed, he was left-handed.
                              Feuerbach has the single meet record record but Hank Kraychir has the best lifetime ambidextrous, according to Tony Dziepak's thrower's page:

Record Athlete Left Right Total Ratio(R/L)
                              Lifetime WR Hank Kraychir 18.03 20.55 38.58 1.14
                              Meet WR Al Feuerbach 15.67 21.38 37.05 1.36
                              Previous WR Parry O'Brien 13.96 18.61 32.57 1.33
                              OG Ralph Rose 12.47 15.23 27.70 1.22

Comment

Interesting - made me go search around for Hank Kraychir, who I don't recall I've ever heard of.

Comment

Working...
                                X