Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I don't understand all the animosity towards walking events."

You are a kind and humane person in a cruel and fickle world.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
      Just trying to think of an event I would eliminate reinforces what a perfect sport track and field is. Wouldn't change a thing event wise.

I don't understand all the animosity towards walking events. They don't interfere with other events (like the middle distance races do with the HJ and javelin :twisted: :twisted: ) and they are definately athletic.

No animosity, just in keeping with the thread title the walks make the MOST sense simply because they are the one discipline not associated with the ancient origins of the sport.
      https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

In the Olympics:

1. I'd replace the 10,000 with a cross country event;

2. I'd add a team competition to the marathons (instead of A & B standards for the event, countries would only get to qualify one competitor unless they qualified a team of three based on how they do at the prior WC or some other qualifying mechanisms);

3. I'd consider changing the implement weights to create new records in the throws - if drug testing has reasonably improved.

4. Change the Women's 100 Hurdles by raising the height if not also changing the spacing to make them 110's.

5. Rplace the Heptathlon with a Women's Decathlon.

I gather the IAAF is currently studying the last two items.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
          "I don't understand all the animosity towards walking events."

You are a kind and humane person in a cruel and fickle world.
          8)

So true.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Originally posted by guru
            Fine. If you're going to say that you have to offer what event YOU would discard. I used HISTORY and TRADITION as my criteria.
            No question it would be the 200, for a couple of reasons: for one, all too often the guys who would be best at it simply ignore it (look at how incredibly weak the men's WC final was in Helsinki), and for two the lane draw screws several guys from the get-go, giving them almost no chance to win. And while it's not as spectator-unfriendly as the 400 (which should be run in lanes only for the first curve), there are too many races where for the first half of the race you have no idea who's ahead.

(having said that, I love watching a true 200 master at work)

Gh is right on the money here. I have long thought that the 400 should only be run in lanes for the first curve. Look how exciting the indoor 400 is!

As for getting rid of the 200, gh's reasoning is correct. The lane position is critical.

Comment

Look how exciting the 4x4 is. (And how much more exciting it was before they foisted the stupid 3-turn stagger on us)

Comment

"As I recall, Jeff Chase of San José State has the WR in the PV for distance, but can't remember the mark; something in the 28s as I recall."

And no fair looking it up, either, Garry. You are forbidden to use any research materials on this list.

Comment

an event I would add would be some sort of distance medley relay to the Major meets. (Worlds, Olympics, CG,World Cup). Relays are usually the most exciting aspect of all meets from the grassroots level through to University and beyond. DMR's are not quite as exciting as a good 4x400m race (is anything?) but still pretty good nonetheless.

as for racewalkers, I just find the event silly, but have no disrespect to their athletic or fitness abilities. If someone stated to a child "get to that point as fast as you can" I don't expect to see anybody 'heel toe' it to that point, they will actually run.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                    In the Olympics:

1. I'd replace the 10,000 with a cross country event;

2. I'd add a team competition to the marathons (instead of A & B standards for the event, countries would only get to qualify one competitor unless they qualified a team of three based on how they do at the prior WC or some other qualifying mechanisms);

3. I'd consider changing the implement weights to create new records in the throws - if drug testing has reasonably improved.

4. Change the Women's 100 Hurdles by raising the height if not also changing the spacing to make them 110's.

5. Rplace the Heptathlon with a Women's Decathlon.

I gather the IAAF is currently studying the last two items.

# 5 all the way

Comment

I've been politicking here for 2 years for a 1-turn stagger in the 400. As it is now, it is BORING and DIFFICULT to watch/understand until the last 100 meters. With a 1-turn stagger they will all HAUL ASS the first 100 meters or so to snatch that pole, then maintain down the back stretch, hang on and gather around the turn, then FAN OUT and may the runner with the most whatever hit the tape first. What a fabulous spectator delight. And just maybe faster times, as the more-aggressive first part of race can overcome the "handicap" of running in lane 1 before heading for home.

As a side note I agree the 3 turn stagger is not needed in the 1600 relay. Keep the 2 turn stagger, but let them blast for that pole after the first exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        As I recall, Jeff Chase of San José State has the WR in the PV for distance, but can't remember the mark; something in the 28s as I recall.
                        how does one vault for distance????

how about throwing the javelin into a target like in archery?

Comment

Originally posted by piaba
                          how about throwing the javelin into a target . . .
                          Hey, that was my suggestion!

Comment

Given the thesis of this thread, I also would take out a walk IF I HAD TO REMOVE ONE EVENT.

As much as I like the TJ, it does not seem as "basic" as the other T&F events, and neither does the hammer.

I think that the marathon is a popular event for non-T&F people, but I do not have much perspective on that issue. I suspect most of the UK likes that event now (but maybe not in the Olympics???). Taking out the 10,000 is not fair; there are only two distance races as it is.

As for an event to add, I think that is clear that we should add the 4 x 200, and give it double points.

NOT. (XC is an interesting idea; I do not know enough about why they took it out.)

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                              I've been politicking here for 2 years for a 1-turn stagger in the 400. As it is now, it is BORING and DIFFICULT to watch/understand until the last 100 meters. With a 1-turn stagger they will all HAUL ASS the first 100 meters or so to snatch that pole, then maintain down the back stretch, hang on and gather around the turn, then FAN OUT and may the runner with the most whatever hit the tape first. What a fabulous spectator delight. And just maybe faster times, as the more-aggressive first part of race can overcome the "handicap" of running in lane 1 before heading for home.

Never thought about a one turn stagger for the 400m. Not sure I like it (traditionalist that I am) but do you guys think the WR would be faster if MJ had run that way? Would times in general be faster?

Comment

Keep the staggers in the relays. In ordinary events, DQs for various infractions are rare, for the relays they are almost unacceptably high. forcing that 4x400 exchange on the first handoff/break for the pole seems to me to be a bad idea, although I do not remember seeing it any other way.

Comment

Working...
                                X