Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USATF Throws Festival

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USATF Throws Festival

    Looking at the start lists for Sat nite's hootenanny in Tucson, many of Thursday's players will be there, but some new blood is flying in to make this the best throwing this side of the OT.
    Plus it'll be streamed live (if you have usatf.tv, which I am getting MY money from).

    Hi-lites, In order, starting at 6:30 ET

    mHT - Winkler, Donnelly, Haugh, McCullough
    wDT - Allman, Dincoff, Card
    wHJ (!!) - VC
    wHT - Price, Anderson, Berry
    mDT - Finley and almost the entire USA elite
    mSP - RC, Kovacs, Hill - I predict WR!!!
    mHJ (!!) - Robinson, Culver, McEwen
    wJT - Winger, Malone, Ince
    wSP - Carter, Ramsey, Woodard
    mJT - Shuey, Dolezal, Thompson



  • #2
    I read somewhere that Allman will not be there to compete in the discus.

    Also where did you get the start list from? I don't see it on the USATF Throws Festival page at the USATF web site.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
      I read somewhere that Allman will not be there to compete in the discus.
      Also where did you get the start list from? I don't see it on the USATF Throws Festival page at the USATF web site.
      My bad. Here: https://finishedresults.trackscorebo...s/10117/events

      And you're right, I don't see her there any more. Too bad.

      Comment


      • #4
        Something that hasn't been uttered about an American track meet in... maybe ever: this is the best Women's Hammer competition in the world so far.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by booond View Post
          Something that hasn't been uttered about an American track meet in... maybe ever: this is the best Women's Hammer competition in the world so far.
          Six of the top nine on the current world list. That is pretty amazing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by donley2 View Post

            Five of those 6 are Americans, the other Lauren Bruce is a Kiwi.
            Six of the top nine on the current world list. That is pretty amazing.
            And 3 of the top 4 are American.
            Mind you we are pretty chuffed here in Kiwi Land with 2 of the top 12.

            Looking forward to Sunday's throw meet in Tucson where those 6 will all be throwing.

            Men's shot is also a loaded field with 6 of the world's top 10.

            Comment


            • #7
              Crouser
              Walsh
              Kovacs
              Hill

              Is this the Tokyo Olympic Final or some little meet in Tucson??
              LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Speaking of throws, and the SP/DT specifically, I have a question for those eagle-eyed official-types out there... can someone tell me what officials look out for when watching the SP/DT throwers in the back of the circle (and also on the toeboard for SP). Of course, I assume stepping on any portion of the outside is a foul, as is stepping on top of the toeboard in the SP... but what about that 'edge' of the DT circle, and the 'edge' of the toeboard, where the vertical portion meets the horizontal portion... is touching that 'edge' a foul or not?

                If you put down a pencil with 6 inches on the inside of the circle, and one inch hanging over, it is all on the inside, but obviously a tiny portion is on the 'edge'. Of all the meets I watched, I have never seen an official on their hands and knees looking for that, and rarely see a red flag raised in the back, so I have always assumed that touching the edge is not a foul. Is that correct?

                For example, in this picture of Crouser coming out of the back-of-the-circle (from today's usatf.tv USATF Throws advertisement)... this is what I see all the time in SP/DT... how to they determine if any portion of their foot touches outside (when they can't see the bottom of their foot)? I also remember Kovacs complaining once in a big meet, with what appeared to be his foot grazing over the toeboard 'edge', and he argued that it was not a foul (he lost the argument). I have never gotten a super solid answer and was curious if any of you know the details. Thanks...

                CrouserBackOfCircle.jpg

                Comment


                • #9
                  From the WA rule book:

                  "The addition of the note to Rule 32.14.2 of the Technical Rules applies to rotational techniques used by athletes in shot Put, discus Throw or Hammer Throw. It should be interpreted that any “incidental” touch of the top of the rim or the ground outside in respect of the back half of the circle during the first rotation should not, of itself, be regarded as a failure. However it is clear that any technique which thereby obtains an advantage through leverage or propulsion would constitute a failure."




                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gm View Post
                    From the WA rule book:

                    "The addition of the note to Rule 32.14.2 of the Technical Rules applies to rotational techniques used by athletes in shot Put, discus Throw or Hammer Throw. It should be interpreted that any “incidental” touch of the top of the rim or the ground outside in respect of the back half of the circle during the first rotation should not, of itself, be regarded as a failure. However it is clear that any technique which thereby obtains an advantage through leverage or propulsion would constitute a failure."
                    Thanks! - that answers my back of the circle question at least... I have asked an official or two over the years, and never got this direct answer. I remember a high school coach arguing this for his athlete, in the DT, and he lost.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That's a great picture, because if some officials felt that the sole touched outside the ring (which it doesn't look like), they could deem that as 'aid', even though Crouser would not actually gain anything by it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The results page ain't working.
                        Seems the HJ has begun, but nothing on the page yet!
                        But the HJ wasn't supposed to start until later, with some throws coming first!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                          The results page ain't working.
                          Seems the HJ has begun, but nothing on the page yet!
                          But the HJ wasn't supposed to start until later, with some throws coming first!
                          Can't have results if the meet hasn't started!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gm View Post
                            From the WA rule book:

                            "The addition of the note to Rule 32.14.2 of the Technical Rules applies to rotational techniques used by athletes in shot Put, discus Throw or Hammer Throw. It should be interpreted that any “incidental” touch of the top of the rim or the ground outside in respect of the back half of the circle during the first rotation should not, of itself, be regarded as a failure. However it is clear that any technique which thereby obtains an advantage through leverage or propulsion would constitute a failure."



                            note that that rule first appears in the 2018-19 book. Had it been in place in London in '17, Crouser may well have won the gold by a foot over Walsh. (all the protesting regards USATF appeal being source of bad blood between Walsh and Crouser)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had not seen the Crouser pic. Would have been a foul if I had the flag. Thrower does not have to touch outside the rim, just the top. Looks like his instep is touching the rim. Don't usually have the luxury of a high and low official.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X