Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

To be fair to Vetter no-one 40 or 50 years ago had thrown the old spear further than his career best throw.
    And overall, only two people did - Hohn and Petranoff.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

To be fair to Vetter no-one 40 or 50 years ago had thrown the old spear further than his career best throw.

Alternatively, as the current javelin has been in use for 35 years you can just compare the various events' all-time lists for the last 35 years only.
      In 1983, I watched Tom Petranoff throw the Javelin 99.72 at the Pepsi Track Meet in Los Angeles. I remember watching that javelin WR throw stay in the air forever. It was another WR performance that legendary press box chief Art Hoffman had his back to because he was talking up a storm!
      Last edited by TWalsh; 05-22-2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Isn't it pointless, though, to have this discussion when many top stars have not even started their season?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
          Isn't it pointless, though, to have this discussion when many top stars have not even started their season?
          Simple solution: if it bothers you, don't waste your time reading it.

Comment

Ha! That WAS the point!

Comment

Talking about track and field is as pointless as breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

In 1983, I watched Tom Petranoff throw the Javelin 99.72 at the Pepsi Track Meet in Los Angeles. I remember watching that javelin WR throw stay in the air forever. It was another WR performance that legendary press box chief Art Hoffman had his back to because he was talking up a storm!
                Shame they just don't have it outside like hammer....though with throws over 105 meters I'm not sure where you put it.

Comment

Alternatively, as the current javelin has been in use for 35 years you can just compare the various events' all-time lists for the last 35 years only.
                  Actually it is only 31 years....

Anyways I forgot they tried a discus technique that saw huge improvements but didn't go over well with the IAAF.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    they tried a discus technique that saw huge improvements
                    Basically what happened in the Shot Put too, Rotation adds a whole new force into the equation!
                    I'm guessing the Big O did not invent the SP spin (Baryshnikov in 72?), but he sure popularized it!
                    Last edited by Atticus; 05-22-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

WR book...

Comment

WR book...
                        He was already spinning well in 72.

Comment

'64 NCAA discus runner-up Bill Neville, as I recall, used the spin with some success in the mid-'60s.

Comment

Yulimar Rojas would be female athlete of the year. She is quite dominant in the triple jump and it wouldn't surprise me if she jump to a new world record this year.

Comment

Actually it is only 31 years....
                              The fundamental change in the centre/center of gravity was introduced internationally in 1986. In 1990, Nemeth introduced a javelin with a roughened surface behind the grip which flew further, which I think was outlawed in 1991.

Comment

The fundamental change in the centre/center of gravity was introduced internationally in 1986. In 1990, Nemeth introduced a javelin with a roughened surface behind the grip which flew further, which I think was outlawed in 1991.
                                Yeah...that's right.

Comment

Working...
                                X