Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigar95
    replied
    So far I think it's a four-meet season for Warholm? (But 3 out of 4 WR is pretty good . . . . )

Hopefully he competes a couple more times with at least some of the Tokyo supporting cast to keep him honest. (Wouldn't be surprised if Benjamin shuts it down, though.) Samba may yet get a sub-47, depending on which DL meets have the event.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    KW has been unbelievable, and I would love to see him face his main opponents more often. Hopefully following the Games.

But I am feeling Crouser slightly leading him, at this point.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    And reportedly Warholm is running the 400m in Zurich. If he runs 43 high there...

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied
    We could also have Holloway running 12.7x or thereabouts. I suppose he would have to run 12.5 or 12.6 to become "Warholm-esque" ... ?

edit: But shoot, it would be very hard to top Warholm now for AOY. Even if we got another way-out-there WR, Warholm would still be the one who really lit the fire and the fact that he had a rival like Benjamin doesn't hurt either.

Sydney's looking awfully good for the women. Thompson-Herah and Mu will get a lot of love, too.
    Last edited by steveu; 08-04-2021, 09:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Assuming Warholm runs 2-3 more times and goes undefeated, I feel Crouser would have to throw like 23.60 to move back into the #1 spot IMO.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    obviously the picture has changed...

but will it change again tonite?!

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Not enough races for Warholm, I suppose.......?

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    Do either of the longer Zelezny streaks get longer if we allow them to extend across seasons?
    Yes. If you go across the 1995-96 seasons, JZ gets 7 90m finals in a row. Nobody else in the table above improves under this definition.
    Date Location Distance
    25-Aug-95 Bruxelles 90.50
    27-Aug-95 London 92.12
    1-Sep-95 Berlin 91.30
    9-Sep-95 Monaco 92.28
    15-Sep-95 Tokyo 92.12
    3-Apr-96 Pietersburg 90.24
    8-Apr-96 Pretoria 91.50

If he had thrown a measly 2.22m further on 12 April 96 in RSA he would have had a 12 streak! [edit to clarify: 12 over 1995-96] Damn that measly 87.88m!

I didn't mention before but Zelezny had other 90m finals in '92 with the later banned rough tail javelin that would have created another two comp streak. Because the javelin is illegal, I have excluded these from the calculations as I did qualifying rounds.

If you want to consider Q rounds only JZ and Vetter have thrown 90m in Q. JZ would lose a 2 streak in 2000 if you included the Q round but gain a 2 streak in 2001, for no nett gain. Vetter's 90m Q round doesn't change a streak.
    Last edited by El Toro; 07-02-2021, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    Do either of the longer Zelezny streaks get longer if we allow them to extend across seasons?

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    The most 90m finals competitions in a year without managing a streak, is three and his held jointly by five individuals:

Sergey Makarov 2002
    Tero Pitkamaki 2005
    Andreas Thorkildsen 2006
    Thomas Röhler 2017
    Johannes Vetter 2020

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post

Unprecedented? (I suspect there's only one other candidate post-86)
    A total of 19 men have had finals competitions at 90m or better.

Of those, only 12 have done it twice in the same year, the minimum required for a possible streak.

Of those 12, only 7 have achieved two consecutive 90m finals.

Of those 7, only two have achieved more than one streak - Jan Zelezný with 7 streaks, including two separate streaks in one year and Johannes Vetter with 2 separate streaks.

The other throwers with a single streak are: Raymond Hecht, Aki Parviainen, Andreas Thorkildsen, Magnus Kirt and Andreas Hoffman.

Out of the two superstars, Zelezný and Vetter, Vetter has the longest streak of 7, ahead of Zelezný with 5. A full table of length of streak, total 90m finals competitions in the year is below.

Streak 90mComps Athlete Year Notes
    7 7 Johannes Vetter 2021
    5 6 Jan Zelezný 1995
    4 6 Jan Zelezný 1996
    3 3 Johannes Vetter 2018
    2 5 Jan Zelezný 1993
    2 4 Jan Zelezný 1994
    2 4 Raymond Hecht 1996
    2 3 Jan Zelezný 1997
    2 4 Jan Zelezný 2000 (x2)
    2 3 Aki Parviainen 2000
    2 2 Andreas Thorkildsen 2008
    2 4 Andreas Hoffman 2018
    2 2 Magnus Kirt 2019

Leave a comment:

• proofs in the pudd'in
    replied

If the season ended today....

I would cry!

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    with Lucerne last night, Vetter goes over 90m (295-3) for seventh meet in a row.
    Unprecedented? (I suspect there's only one other candidate post-86)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    with Lucerne last night, Vetter goes over 90m (295-3) for seventh meet in a row.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Steele View Post

So your criteria go something like Sequence of Marks, Honors Won, Won-Loss Record, Surprise Factor?
    If "surprise factor" were my main criteria, Thomas would be 1st, no contest!
    BTW, I left Gidey off my list--forgot all about her WR!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X