• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Götzis multis

this a big-enough deal it should have its own thread

Gotzis starting list are on.
    https://meeting-goetzis.at/meeting/starterfeld
    Few quick observations:
    Men - four decathletes that are likely to compete for podium places in Tokyo will have their last big tryout before the games.
    Warner tends to do better in Gotzis than any other competition and should start as a favorite before Kaul. Uibo and Kazmirek completing the best field in decathlon assemble since Doha 2019.
    No American representation - suggesting Gptzic plus competitive trials are a bit too much for Scantling and company. However, there are several decathletes that will fight with the auto-Q and every one that will join to the 15 that already did it, will make it all that harder for ZZ, Simmons, Devon and Garland to qualify without the auto-Q.

Women - almost all the main players for the American trials will be competing. Bougard and Williams are likely to fight for top spot with Shepherd (GER) and Rodriguez (Cub). Behind, three (Kunz, Brooks, and Cooks) of the five main candidates for the third place in the American team, will try to get the Auto-Q. As in then men, many heptathlists will try to get the auto-Q, which have a large effect on the chances of the American women to qualify without the auto-Q.
    Last edited by olorin; Today, 12:40 AM.

Comment

So where is KM?

Comment

Originally posted by olorin View Post
        https://meeting-goetzis.at/meeting/starterfeld
        Women - almost all the main players for the American trials will be competing. Bougard and Williams are likely to fight for top spot with Shepherd (GER) and Rodriguez (Cub). Behind, three (Kunz, Brooks, and Cooks) of the five main candidates for the third place in the American team, will try to get the Auto-Q. As in then men, many heptathlists will try to get the auto-Q, which have a large effect on the chances of the American women to qualify without the auto-Q.
        Last edited by olorin; Today, 12:40 AM.
        I didn't expect 5 Americans there, but with 3 events less than the men, and with the hept starting a week later than the men at Eugene (June 26 vs. June 19), the women should be reasonably rested, with almost 4 weeks rest... Kunz is hanging on by a thread on the Road-to-Tokyo list (23rd out of 24), so gotta agree with you olorin...

Comment

Sadly what could have been a decent contingent of Aussies isn't to be.

It's ok for other athletes to fly out of Oz and keep going on the circuit until (if?) Tokyo happens but tougher for the multis who would have had to find/fund an O/S training base after Gotzis since returning to Oz is hardly an option with our quarantine restrictions.

Otherwise it would have been perfect timing for Moloney, Dubler etc to test themselves out.

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post
            So where is KM?
            Here : https://2track.run/events/defiathlon/participants/181

If I should pick one male athlete to get the auto-Q I would say Simon Ehammer (8231) right away, his progression is similar to Moloney's. Bechmann (8153) is in a similar league, at this age a big improvement is to be expected.
            Van der Plaetsen and Brugger both have PB between 8300 and 8350 but the first has been struggling to put everything together and the latter was a bit off the past couple of seasons. Then Wiesolek (8205) who's a bit further PB-wise but with some noteworthy progress this winter and a huge potential (8795), bigger than Erm's or Dubler's.
            Zhuk and Hubert are still young [96], and don't seem too far off the pace. Hubert has had a breakthrough season in 2020 going from 7810 to 8260, his record decathlon was near perfect which means he should have more than that in the tank.
            Really looking forward to the ex-junior athletes. First Markus Rooth who scored the second best U20 Dec last year (8238) behind Kaul, monstrous potential, already 46m in the 2kg discus this year. Then Baptiste Thiery (7849) who's the current PV YOG champion, very thin guy, much more like slender profiles of the PV than big units of the Decathlon. He has been switching back and forth PV and CE lately, will he settle in the Dec unlike Warholm and Doucouré before him ? I expect him to win the PV in Götzis.

On the women's side, things are a bit different. A good share of the athletes that did surpass 6420 in their career are not yet qualified (Vetter, Y.Rodriguez, Broersen). The first two due to being absent in 2019, so their chances are quite high, when Broersen was near the big Q in Doha. Not many young guns in the field as they probably target Arona or Ratingen to get more points in the rankings (confirmed for Vicente, maybe the same for O'Connor, Ruckstuhl, Mills ?), unclear are the conditions of Emerson and Shukh, sad to see no Lagger and no Austrian at all. Adriana Rodriguez is here though and I expect a big breakthrough from her.
            Brooks will have my attention surely as we more often get to see her in the 100H and LJ, with some success btw, so if she can cope with the throws 6420 may be within her reach.
            Last but not least, Henriette Jaeger, U18 Heptathlon WR holder, now U20 Pentathlon WR holder, is here. That's pretty much all I can say about it, just focusing on the T & the F now.

Comment

great summary ZazaShoya... between you and olorin, the whole world is covered here...
              Last edited by miketandf; 05-25-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Even to us Brits, Niamh Emerson is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment, with few competitive appearances in the last 24 months or so. The one thing I do know is she is know being coached by Toni Minichiello who coached Jess Ennis-Hill. Toni is based in Sheffield, while Niamh is from only about 30 miles south in Derbyshire.

Comment

Women - almost all the main players for the American trials will be competing. Bougard and Williams are likely to fight for top spot with Shepherd (GER) and Rodriguez (Cub).
                  I have my doubts regarding Schäfer. She was not good at all in the test events.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                    Even to us Brits, Niamh Emerson is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment, with few competitive appearances in the last 24 months or so. The one thing I do know is she is know being coached by Toni Minichiello who coached Jess Ennis-Hill. Toni is based in Sheffield, while Niamh is from only about 30 miles south in Derbyshire.
                    So few she's not even in the world rankings. One good Hep (≈ 6300) is needed and would be sufficient I reckon though, since her Pentathlon in Glasgow 19' would count too.

Note that Solène Ndama, currently ranked 14th in the Road to Tokyo list, is already out of contention, she tore her left ACL in February (same in the 100mH where she also qualified).

Comment

Starts live on ORF TV, Saturday 11 a.m. CET.

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

So few she's not even in the world rankings. One good Hep (≈ 6300) is needed and would be sufficient I reckon though, since her Pentathlon in Glasgow 19' would count too.
                        Since her Gotzis DNF in 2019, she has had 6 competitive performances across 3 meets (a 200m, a 100mH, 3 SPs and a JT).

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post

I have my doubts regarding Schäfer. She was not good at all in the test events.
                          The same can be said about Erica Bougard that as of now her SBs (in six of the seven events) will translate for a score of ~6200.
                          It was also true for Harrison Williams until his first decathlon in which he had a PB of 250 points and got the auto-Q.

So, I am giving both (Bougard and Schafer) the benefit of the doubt, but agree that in Schafer case there is more doubt giving her age (29) and her lost of form since 2018. .
                          I hope that she will rebound as she is the only German with realistic podium asperation (and may be the only German heptathlete in Tokyo).

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                            great summary ZazaShoya... between you and olorin, the whole world is covered here...
                            And of course your own contribution.

Comment

The same can be said about Erica Bougard that as of now her SBs (in six of the seven events) will translate for a score of ~6200.
                              It was also true for Harrison Williams until his first decathlon in which he had a PB of 250 points and got the auto-Q.
                              Very good point olorin... and Bougard, Kunz and Cooks train with Harrison Williams... pretty sure all have the same coach.

Of the American women (legal marks), Oly-Q=6420:

Already have the Q:
                              Bougard... PR 6725 (2018), Sum of PRs 6886, Sum of SBs ~6200 (6 of 7)
                              Williams... PR 6610 (2019), Sum of PRs 6914, Sum of SBs ~6500 (4 of 7)

The Q is within reach:
                              Brooks..... PR 6252 (2021), Sum of PRs 6531, Sum of SBs 6505
                              Kunz........ PR 6153 (2019), Sum of PRs 6550, Sum of SBs 6452

Needs the meet of her life for the Q:
                              Cooks..... PR 6160 (2021), Sum of PRs 6401, Sum of SBs 6115
                              Last edited by miketandf; 05-26-2021, 04:57 AM. Reason: Updated a few SBs

Comment

Working...
                              X