Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overwhelming Favorite For Olympic Gold

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    And surprised no one's mentioned Noah Lyles in the 200 yet!!
    Or Holloway in the 110H!

    Mondo is pretty close to a lock!
    I could see Bednarek beating Lyles at trials and at the OG. Hurdles are too dicey and I feel like McLeod and Roberts are too close in ability for Holloway to be a lock.

    Kendricks's championship pedigree is impressive enough to overcome Mondo's raw talents.

    Comment


    • #32
      I wouldn't call anyone a lock for reasons mentioned above, but no one is going to mention Trayvon Bromell in the m100?

      Comment


      • #33
        Thiam in the heptathlon?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by noone View Post
          Thiam in the heptathlon?
          The serious injury doubts concerning KJT do put Thiam in the box seat. However, her shoulder issues make the JT a concern.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
            I feel like Miller-Uibo is pretty close to being a lock for gold in that w200m.
            I don't after watching Boston. I was expecting a faster time, and whilst I think she cruised the last meters, she said afterwards she is managing some minor niggles. I really think DAS will give her a run for her money, pun totally intended, especially after how smooth she looked in Gateshead. I think the w200m could be close. However, if SMU were to do the 400m - and she said again that she won't - then I would have had her as a lock in that event.

            I agree with others that Rojas is the only clear favourite. The men's SP can be a lottery between the big men and whilst Crouser has been sublime so far, a couple of men will still fancy their chances of beating him.
            I've posted before on how Vetter slightly underperformed in finals since Rio, so, again, he isn't an overwhelming favourite, just a regular favourite!

            Thiam lost her last heptathlon to KJT, and whilst the Brit has had an achilles issue, Thiam had an elbow issue, so that kind of cancels each other out IMO. They're joint favourites to me right now, until I see them compete. I will say it is slightly concerning that Thiam has said she wont compete in a heptathlon prior to Tokyo. I see that as a risk, and maybe a sign she isn't at her best either.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
              I guess it's cool to debate but its personally to early to even consider anyone a lock.
              My sentiments exactly.

              Comment


              • #37
                Timothy Cheruiyot.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Lyles is nowhere close to that now.
                  Laird is consistently fast.
                  DeG isn't there.
                  Odu has the talent, consistency has been a problem.
                  Unless Qnz pops a fast one, a USA sweep could be in the cards.
                  DeGrasse is never anywhere close to showing his cards until champs. He appears to be a master at timing his peak.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

                    I don't after watching Boston. I was expecting a faster time, and whilst I think she cruised the last meters, she said afterwards she is managing some minor niggles. I really think DAS will give her a run for her money, pun totally intended, especially after how smooth she looked in Gateshead. I think the w200m could be close. However, if SMU were to do the 400m - and she said again that she won't - then I would have had her as a lock in that event.
                    I agree with you. With SMU looking a bit vulnerable and DAS poised for a career year, this is far from a lock. DAS is going to put a ton of distance on SMU after the first 100m and she doesn't really collapse at the end. Unless SMU can overcome whatever struggles she is dealing with, I might peg Dina the favorite here.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Track78 View Post
                      DeGrasse is never anywhere close to showing his cards until champs. He appears to be a master at timing his peak.
                      He is running at full speed! But I agree that his FS now is not the same as in 2 months. I'm hoping Lyles is on the same plan.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Well . . . Sam proved he's a gamer in Gateshead and Joe turned the trick in Doha.
                        Joe did win Doha, but a Crouser win with a WR through is much more likely. Sam is a big meet guy but it will still be a shock if Duplantis loses.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          He is running at full speed! But I agree that his FS now is not the same as in 2 months. I'm hoping Lyles is on the same plan.
                          Lyles needs at least a small peak next month or he could get caught sleeping at trials. De Grasse, Oduduru etc. have one single date on their calendar that matters

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            If I had to bet a large sum of money on one individual athlete to win the Gold Medal right now, I would choose Rojas in the women's TJ.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Thoughts on Joshua Cheptegei? Maybe not at Rojas type lock, but he could be off his game and still win comfortably (though I'm guessing no wave-light in Tokyo)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Beatrice Chepkoech

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X