Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petros Kyprianou Leaving Georgia [replaced by USC's Gilbert]

Kyprianou, 43, told his team at the SEC Championships last week in College Station that this would be his last season at UGA. His next stop is unknown.

Kyprianou’s only comment Friday was to say that he would have an announcement after nationals. “Got to respect UGA Athletics department for any official announcement,” Kyprianou said in a text message.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-b...e-iO0RzKOse5_A
    Last edited by gh; 06-13-2021, 05:01 PM.

Oh no! He has done such a great job there.

Comment

I have followed the program in Georgia for many years now and always find myself impressed with the its sporting success. Kyprianou's last big decision demonstrates his greatness as a man and a coach - letting two of his promising young stars (Hall and Garland) skip the NCAA final in the hep/dec to concentrate on the trials.

Comment

Major bummer.
        The article had this puzzling line as one of the possible reasons:

they [the team] have to share the Spec Towns Track and Field facility with the university.
        I infer that Petros would like total control of its use. Is that a thing universities do?
        It was also surmised that he wanted a dedicated indoor track facility. I am not aware of that at Florida or Florida State.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Major bummer.

I infer that Petros would like total control of its use. Is that a thing universities do?
          It was also surmised that he wanted a dedicated indoor track facility. I am not aware of that at Florida or Florida State.
          I'm trying to think of schools where the coach may be on shaky grounds or where he/she is retiring. There aren't many schools that wouldn't be a demotion for him. Florida is out of the question unless Mike Holloway is planning on going somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            I'm trying to think of schools where the coach may be on shaky grounds or where he/she is retiring. There aren't many schools that wouldn't be a demotion for him. Florida is out of the question unless Mike Holloway is planning on going somewhere.
            He's a superb multis coach, as he was in Greece. I bet there are some nations (Estonia) that would love to hire him for the multis or even run the Nat'l program!

Comment

how many Georgia athletes are in the transfer portal?

Comment

I hope this does not upset the apple cart for the numerous multi folks that train there, with him...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  Important question.

Comment

Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                    I hope this does not upset the apple cart for the numerous multi folks that train there, with him...
                    He and the group there MADE Scantling what he is. Breaking up the group would be a hardship on GS and I suspect many of the others. Have to move to CV in some cases?

Comment

He and the group there MADE Scantling what he is. Breaking up the group would be a hardship on GS and I suspect many of the others. Have to move to CV in some cases?
                      GS? CV?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                        GS? CV?
                        Sorry - the aforementioned Garrett Scantling and the Training Center in Chula Vista, which has an acclaimed Multis enclave.

Comment

Exactly my concern... GS enters meets under 'Team Petros Elite TC'... probably 10 elite multi-folks impacted here (students: Hall/Garland, pros: GS, DW/KW and a handful of Estonians)... geez...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            i don't. have access to the portal, but I've been told there are about a half-dozen "name" athletes there

Comment

Major bummer.

They do at Oregon.... why students put up with it is beyond me...

Comment

Working...
                              X