Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petros Kyprianou Leaving Georgia [replaced by USC's Gilbert]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • From a LinkedIn post by Kyprianou:

    "Attention athletes that are in need of an elite/Olympic level coaching situation, specific technical or speed-strength development or all levels of consulting: I will be starting a unique concept training group in the Jax/Jacksonville beach FL area. more info please DM!"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by gm View Post
      From a LinkedIn post by Kyprianou:
      "Attention athletes that are in need of an elite/Olympic level coaching situation, specific technical or speed-strength development or all levels of consulting: I will be starting a unique concept training group in the Jax/Jacksonville beach FL area. more info please DM!"
      I'ma hafta check that out!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post
        Having those pros around seems like it would make USC a more attractive place for wide-eyed high school students to commit to.
        And now even more attractive to future athletes, Carmelita Jeter was just named the Sprints Coach at USC.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ATK View Post
          And now even more attractive to future athletes, Carmelita Jeter was just named the Sprints Coach at USC.
          They'll have to google her first!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by booond View Post
            They had a swarm of sprinters and hurdlers who doubled/tripled (if you include relays). Two finalists in the 100, Two in the 200, Three in the 400, One in the 100h/400h and relay teams that finished 1st and 2nd. It is a sensible way to build a college team.
            Particularly at a private school, and with scholarship limitations. I've been out of the coaching game for a while so maybe some of the math has changed, but it is a lot easier to cover all event areas at a state school where even out of state tuition is ~1/2 that of USC's.

            Also worth noting that power-5 salaries go a lot farther in Athens than other places, something that's particularly important for attracting and retaining assistants.

            Comment


            • On letsrun, someone said Kyprianou was headed for Episcopal HS in Jacksonville.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gm View Post
                On letsrun, someone said Kyprianou was headed for Episcopal HS in Jacksonville.
                Jacksonville News report a few days ago: https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2021...s-performance/

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ATK View Post

                  Jacksonville News report a few days ago: https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2021...s-performance/
                  From Georgia to a high school? Wow! Now I'm curious to hear the rest of the story.

                  Comment


                  • Quite a step up from the recently retired coach!😉

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gm View Post
                      On letsrun, someone said Kyprianou was headed for Episcopal HS in Jacksonville.
                      That hasn't existed for quite a while. It is Episcopal School of Jacksonville.
                      He will still be coaching professionals (like Scantling, an alum) also, and using the school's facility as home-base. It's a win-win for everyone.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        That hasn't existed for quite a while. It is Episcopal School of Jacksonville.
                        Wellllll excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by gm View Post
                          Wellllll excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!
                          I'm feeling magnanimous . . . you are excused.
                          >:-)

                          Comment


                          • I'm sure things will work out fine, but there is the potential for conflict with specific sport coaches.

                            The last year I coached at my former HS the school brought in a "performance" coach to handle things like weight room routines for the different sports. We clashed almost immediately, when he said HS girls should not be doing power lifts(deadlift, power cleans, etc) of any sort(a predictable outlook from a guy with a football background). I told our AD thanks, but I'll keep running our offseason program myself.
                            There are no strings on me

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by guru View Post
                              I'm sure things will work out fine, but there is the potential for conflict with specific sport coaches.
                              The last year I coached at my former HS the school brought in a "performance" coach to handle things like weight room routines for the different sports. We clashed almost immediately, when he said HS girls should not be doing power lifts(deadlift, power cleans, etc) of any sort(a predictable outlook from a guy with a football background). I told our AD thanks, but I'll keep running our offseason program myself.
                              In your experience, aren't track coaches more attuned to how different types of athletes (throwers, jumpers, sprinters, distance) need different kinds of programs? I think Petros will do great, and I don't see anyone wanting to opt out of what he has to offer. I trained my TJers differently than my hurdlers, but the principles were the same.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                In your experience, aren't track coaches more attuned to how different types of athletes (throwers, jumpers, sprinters, distance) need different kinds of programs? I think Petros will do great, and I don't see anyone wanting to opt out of what he has to offer. I trained my TJers differently than my hurdlers, but the principles were the same.
                                You are correct. The best S&C coaches I worked with had a track and field background.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X