Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenenisa Bekele: "Howya like me now?"

When Kennster (credit the name to Eldrick ) ran only a 4:01 in Madison Square Garden a few weeks ago and had his butt handed to him by Bernard Lagat, many of you were ready to dismiss his efforts as a miler or even a 3000 guy. Others of you thought he would be "okay" but not a threat.

It's too early for me to issue any kind of "told you so", but I am curious if anyone is beginning to take him a little more seriously after what he did in Birmingham. If you're not already aware, he ran 2 miles indoors in 8:05.

I'm standing by him, guys! If he indeed spends the year concentrating on the middle distances, he'll be dangerous.

Re: Kenenisa Bekele: "Howya like me now?"

Originally posted by bekeselassie
    When Kennster (credit the name to Eldrick ) ran only a 4:01 in Madison Square Garden a few weeks ago and had his butt handed to him by Bernard Lagat, many of you were ready to dismiss his efforts as a miler or even a 3000 guy. Others of you thought he would be "okay" but not a threat.

It's too early for me to issue any kind of "told you so", but I am curious if anyone is beginning to take him a little more seriously after what he did in Birmingham. If you're not already aware, he ran 2 miles indoors in 8:05.

I'm standing by him, guys! If he indeed spends the year concentrating on the middle distances, he'll be dangerous.
    Mottram- 12:56? 3:48

Bekele- 12:37-4:01??, i think not. You will see 3:28-3:46 if he runs some big 1500's this summer.
    phsstt!

Comment

What killed Bekele in New York was a 55-56 opening lap on that tight track. He said it was too fast for him.

Birmingham track:

Turns not so tight here for Bekele. Plus, remember, he is running at 60-point pace from the beginning, not 55-second pace and dying.

The track surface is Mondo Sportflex Super X Classic.

Comment

Thanx Eric! Great pix. Even Bek is human. On this beautiful big track all he had to do was keep running 30 secounds and change for 16+ laps. :shock:
        phsstt!

Comment

What a beautiful track!

Did you noticed the pointer is on the Canadian flag!!! 8) 8)

Must be acknowledging our athletics supremacy.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
            But on the end of that 'pointer' is a flaming torch :twisted:

Comment

This is what my "proper track" comment on the indoor vs. outdoor thread was referring to...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                Originally posted by mojo
                But on the end of that 'pointer' is a flaming torch :twisted:

I see no flame but it wouldn't surprise me. Canadians are hot!

Comment

birmingham track

Looks like a few too many cones on the track. They tend to bounce around a little on portable tracks. Requires a good deal of re-postioning after each race to make sure they are accruately placed.

Comment

Re: birmingham track

Originally posted by dkny
                    Looks like a few too many cones on the track. They tend to bounce around a little on portable tracks. Requires a good deal of re-postioning after each race to make sure they are accruately placed.
                    Not only that, but it takes YEARS of specialized cone-placement training to be able to really do the job.

Comment

Bekele

It was noted by Peter Matthews, the stadium announcer in Birmingham, that Kenny's last mile in Birmingham 2 mile was faster than the 4:01 mile that he ran in Milrose.

I think that this puts his New York performance in perspective, in that this does not reflect his potential as a miler...

ShaunP

Comment

Re: birmingham track

Originally posted by twittering debutante
                        Not only that, but it takes YEARS of specialized cone-placement training to be able to really do the job.
                        I know you're not serious about that, but you might be surprised at how often the cones are not properly placed, even at major competition. It's a simple task that can be, and too often is, screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                        X