Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much of the complaints about NBC's coverage of the Olympic Games are about its prime-time coverage. A major complaint is that the coverage is long on personal interest stories and short on actual competition.

Comment

Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
      Much of the complaints about NBC's coverage of the Olympic Games are about its prime-time coverage. A major complaint is that the coverage is long on personal interest stories and short on actual competition.
      ABC's 'Up Close & Personal' ruined all ensuing sports programming. They think if we get some sob story of all the challenges so-and-so had to go through, we'll care more. EVERYBODY has a back story!

Comment

Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
        For 99% of the public the Olympics are just a 2 week reality game show involving people they don't have the slightest idea who they are, little care about, and afterwards completely forget...

So NBC does what they have done every time...

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          ABC's 'Up Close & Personal' ruined all ensuing sports programming. They think if we get some sob story of all the challenges so-and-so had to go through, we'll care more. EVERYBODY has a back story!
          Sports fans will watch no matter what they have to suffer through. A subset of (non sports) fans only become interested when they can be intimately involved in whoever said athlete is. We have to know the athletes by their first names.

Roone Arledge's perhaps greatest achievement whether everyone likes it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
            Roone Arledge's perhaps greatest achievement whether everyone likes it or not.
            I will admit to watching the STOOPID competition shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent. Their stock-in-trade is the very same - tell us a long sob story, so we'll root for them.
            As my wife always says, 'Is the talent there? That's what I want to know.'

Comment

ABC's 'Up Close & Personal' ruined all ensuing sports programming. ...
              you couldn't be more wrong; what it did was open up the programming to a vast segment of audience that heretofore hadn't been interested in sports. Which begat huge advertising sales, which begat the networks paying mega-coin for the right to telecast, which led to the federations becoming bigger moneymakers, all of which translated to the ability for track to become a viable (albeit minor) professional sport as funds trickled downward.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                you couldn't be more wrong; what it did was open up the programming to a vast segment of audience that heretofore hadn't been interested in sports. Which begat huge advertising sales, which begat the networks paying mega-coin for the right to telecast, which led to the federations becoming bigger moneymakers, all of which translated to the ability for track to become a viable (albeit minor) professional sport as funds trickled downward.
                UC&P began in 1972, which is post-deluge for TV sports' infestation of the American psyche. His Wide World of Sports, debuting in the early 60s (Demolition Derby from Islip, NY!!) accomplished what you describe.

Comment

UC&P began in 1972, which is post-deluge for TV sports' infestation of the American psyche. His Wide World of Sports, debuting in the early 60s (Demolition Derby from Islip, NY!!) accomplished what you describe.
                  GH is correct. You are not.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                    GH is correct. You are not.
                    Dig it!

Comment

Does anyone know if there is anyone else I can subscribe to besides Sling to get access? I did Playstation Vue five years ago, not sure that is still an option? I have Peacock but it seems like that won't get me far.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Inevitably, when I talk to a non-fan who watches the Olympics because it's the Olympics, they LOVE the profiles that we hardcore psychos hate.

Comment

I will admit to watching the STOOPID competition shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent. Their stock-in-trade is the very same - tell us a long sob story, so we'll root for them.
                          As my wife always says, 'Is the talent there? That's what I want to know.'
                          Despite the last inexplicable AGT champion "poet", I still suffer through the back sob stories. To me, the most entertaining part of AGT is the really horrible, talentless acts that get Xed. I could not be a judge on these shows. I would give the hook early for most of the "talent" that the judges salivate over.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                            Does anyone know if there is anyone else I can subscribe to besides Sling to get access? I did Playstation Vue five years ago, not sure that is still an option? I have Peacock but it seems like that won't get me far.
                            Sony shut down Playstation Vue early last year.

Peacock announced that they will have some Olympic content, not sure how much. To stream additional content, you'll probably need a cable package or a streaming subscription that includes NBC.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-live...0-free-4690736
                            • Hulu with Live TV: This service provides the widest access to NBC. If it isn't available in your area, try a different one.
                            • YouTube TV: NBC is available in most major markets, and a lot of smaller markets, though this service.
                            • DirecTV Now: This service also has decent NBC coverage.
                            • Sling TV: NBC is only available in select major markets through this service, but it's a very affordable option if your area is covered.
                            • fuboTV: This sports-focused streaming service has limited NBC coverage, but it's still worth checking out in case your area is included.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                              I use YouTubeTV and find it very good... it has unlimited recording (for replay, etc) that stays on your account for 9 months. It includes your local NBC, NBC Sports and the Olympic Channel. Between that and Peacock, I have almost everything covered. Of course, it offers a ton of other channels.

...and if you just want to legitimately try it out for the entire Olympic Trials for free, you can... they are offereing a free 2 week trial (offer ends 6/15)... so you could just sign up on the 14th and have it free, all legit, for the entire Trials. You are also allowed 3 simultaneous streams at once, in case your family members want to watch something else. Just sign up, use it for 13 days, and cancel it on the last day of the trial period - you have nothing to lose.

Add: you can easily watch on your smartphone, tablet, computer, smart tv, Firestick, etc. I believe they had a falling out with Roku recently though?
                              Also - it serves as a 'cable provider' if you want to access various streams thru apps, such as ESPN, probably the NbcSports app as the Oly Trial coverage mentions, etc.
                              Last edited by miketandf; 06-03-2021, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I'll second the Youtube TV recommendation. I went right to it when we cut the cord and haven't been disappointed other than the price increase a few months back.

Comment

Working...
                                X