Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    I really lucked out with Triplecast in 1992. My mom-and-pop cable system did not have three spare channels, so we were offered “single cast” for only $45 - the red channel only which had boxing and track & field. That was fine by me.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Thank you, Mr. Lenin.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    If the IOC wasn't a bunch of thugs demanding the most money they can squeeze out the US networks that might be possible...

Leave a comment:

• ralmcg
    replied
    I wonder if the Olympics were, and are, a significant event then why didn't the networks share broadcasting duties so that all the events would have been covered, at least more that it did, in the era before cable I believe that Congress would have made an anti-trust exemption for the Olympics.

Oh, I forgot. The commercial networks at least don't want to share what they think would be, and is still, a major ratings-grabber. They want all of the revenue to themselves.

Leave a comment:

• ralmcg
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

most people don't make the effort to find out what happened a 3 o'clock in the morning...or 2 hours ago. I remember when Olga Korbut took the world by storm...where I was working everyone heard she had done something very extraordinary and they couldn't wait to get home and watch it...I know for a fact that none of these people gave a rat's *ss about gymnastics otherwise. And no one knew what country she was from: virtually everyone assumed she was Russian because she represented the Soviet Union. All people want is the entertainment.
    That meant that ABC also pre-taped events for prime-time viewing.

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Miss what? Everything in prime time has already happened...
    most people don't make the effort to find out what happened a 3 o'clock in the morning...or 2 hours ago. I remember when Olga Korbut took the world by storm...where I was working everyone heard she had done something very extraordinary and they couldn't wait to get home and watch it...I know for a fact that none of these people gave a rat's *ss about gymnastics otherwise. And no one knew what country she was from: virtually everyone assumed she was Russian because she represented the Soviet Union. All people want is the entertainment.
    Last edited by SoCal45; 06-04-2021, 03:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    FOMO (fear of missing out) - they don't want something to happen that they're not in on. Phelps, Biles, Mondo, SMcL . . . scandals, disaster, wild ecstasy, etc.. There's always culturally central shenanigans at the Olympics.
    Miss what? Everything in prime time has already happened...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by ralmcg View Post

In that case why do they watch it if they don't watch the sports the rest of the time?
    I think that is rather obvious...I know lots of people who watch the Olympics and don't give a toss about any of the sports... just because it is on... then it is over and they watch something else...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-04-2021, 02:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
    In that case why do they watch it if they don't watch the sports the rest of the time?
    FOMO (fear of missing out) - they don't want something to happen that they're not in on. Phelps, Biles, Mondo, SMcL . . . scandals, disaster, wild ecstasy, etc.. There's always culturally central shenanigans at the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• ralmcg
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

For 99% of the public the Olympics are just a 2 week reality game show involving people they don't have the slightest idea who they are, little care about, and afterwards completely forget...

So NBC does what they have done every time...

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    I'll second the Youtube TV recommendation. I went right to it when we cut the cord and haven't been disappointed other than the price increase a few months back.

Leave a comment:

• miketandf
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Does anyone know if there is anyone else I can subscribe to besides Sling to get access? I did Playstation Vue five years ago, not sure that is still an option? I have Peacock but it seems like that won't get me far.
    I use YouTubeTV and find it very good... it has unlimited recording (for replay, etc) that stays on your account for 9 months. It includes your local NBC, NBC Sports and the Olympic Channel. Between that and Peacock, I have almost everything covered. Of course, it offers a ton of other channels.

...and if you just want to legitimately try it out for the entire Olympic Trials for free, you can... they are offereing a free 2 week trial (offer ends 6/15)... so you could just sign up on the 14th and have it free, all legit, for the entire Trials. You are also allowed 3 simultaneous streams at once, in case your family members want to watch something else. Just sign up, use it for 13 days, and cancel it on the last day of the trial period - you have nothing to lose.

Add: you can easily watch on your smartphone, tablet, computer, smart tv, Firestick, etc. I believe they had a falling out with Roku recently though?
    Also - it serves as a 'cable provider' if you want to access various streams thru apps, such as ESPN, probably the NbcSports app as the Oly Trial coverage mentions, etc.
    Last edited by miketandf; 06-03-2021, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Does anyone know if there is anyone else I can subscribe to besides Sling to get access? I did Playstation Vue five years ago, not sure that is still an option? I have Peacock but it seems like that won't get me far.
    Sony shut down Playstation Vue early last year.

Peacock announced that they will have some Olympic content, not sure how much. To stream additional content, you'll probably need a cable package or a streaming subscription that includes NBC.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-live...0-free-4690736
    • Hulu with Live TV: This service provides the widest access to NBC. If it isn't available in your area, try a different one.
    • YouTube TV: NBC is available in most major markets, and a lot of smaller markets, though this service.
    • DirecTV Now: This service also has decent NBC coverage.
    • Sling TV: NBC is only available in select major markets through this service, but it's a very affordable option if your area is covered.
    • fuboTV: This sports-focused streaming service has limited NBC coverage, but it's still worth checking out in case your area is included.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I will admit to watching the STOOPID competition shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent. Their stock-in-trade is the very same - tell us a long sob story, so we'll root for them.
    As my wife always says, 'Is the talent there? That's what I want to know.'
    Despite the last inexplicable AGT champion "poet", I still suffer through the back sob stories. To me, the most entertaining part of AGT is the really horrible, talentless acts that get Xed. I could not be a judge on these shows. I would give the hook early for most of the "talent" that the judges salivate over.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

you couldn't be more wrong; what it did was open up the programming to a vast segment of audience that heretofore hadn't been interested in sports. Which begat huge advertising sales, which begat the networks paying mega-coin for the right to telecast, which led to the federations becoming bigger moneymakers, all of which translated to the ability for track to become a viable (albeit minor) professional sport as funds trickled downward.
    Inevitably, when I talk to a non-fan who watches the Olympics because it's the Olympics, they LOVE the profiles that we hardcore psychos hate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X