Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post
    The only reason I slightly disagree is that in 2019, it may have been "good", but that couldnt win her gold. McLaughlin was a faster athlete, but that wasn't good enough to beat a better technician. Muhammad isnt in top form now, and we dont know if Little can get to WR pace yet, but if 2019 was any example, her form needs to be top notch or else she can get out leaned for gold.
    As usual, stated better than I could’ve. 🎯🎯

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      The only reason I slightly disagree is that in 2019, it may have been "good", but that couldnt win her gold. McLaughlin was a faster athlete, but that wasn't good enough to beat a better technician. Muhammad isnt in top form now, and we dont know if Little can get to WR pace yet, but if 2019 was any example, her form needs to be top notch or else she can get out leaned for gold.
      Form has little to do with it. Farmer-Patrick had atrocious form and she still ran 52.79 back in 1993.

You need

1. Tremendous 400-flat speed
      2. The ability to take hurdles at top speed
      3. The ability to take hurdles as they come (adjust steps on the fly to the reality of the race).

DM won because she could do this combination better than SM in 2019.

If, by technician, you mean her stride pattern worked out better for her, then absolutely yes. But that, as we have seen over and over, can come and go.
      As I said above, the only one who could bend the race to his will was Moses. He ran 13 strides on good days; he ran 13 strides on bad days; he ran 13 strides when he was phoning it in; he ran 13 strides when he was fighting for OG/WC Gold. That's nice work, if you can get it!

Comment

McLaughlin's hurdle clearances were in the high 0.3's in this race as opposed to averaging 0.4+ in Doha. Of course, if mid 0.3 clearances (average 0.36 - Mann) and ideal race excursion with hesitation limits, sub-52 should certainly be in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by dpasv View Post
          McLaughlin's hurdle clearances were in the high 0.3's in this race as opposed to averaging 0.4+ in Doha. Of course, if mid 0.3 clearances (average 0.36 - Mann) and ideal race excursion with hesitation limits, sub-52 should certainly be in the picture.
          Or, they run faster.
          The problem with hurdle-clearance-analyses in the 400H (as opposed to 100/110H) is that a 'crisper' hurdle clearance often uses up more energy than a more relaxed ('soaring') one. You are focused on snapping the legs on entry and exit, which certainly looks better, but you'll pay for that in the final 80m. That's why 400Hers look more 'lackadaisical' than 100/110Hers.
          Last edited by Atticus; 06-07-2021, 02:51 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=ubiQuitous1;n1693020] After interviewing Shamier Little and watching McLaughlin interview, Little is more poised, upbeat, and excited. it will come down to confidence. Nod to Little.[/QUOTE}
            I have no horse in this race but, IMO, Syd the Kid is the epitome of poise. And, I would not handicap a race on poise.

Comment

The report on the home page of the TFN website called Simpson's run in Nashville her "yearly opener," but that is not correct: She was 9th in the 1500 at Eugene on April 24 (4:10.07).

Comment

Working...
              X