Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Sigmon
    replied
    The report on the home page of the TFN website called Simpson's run in Nashville her "yearly opener," but that is not correct: She was 9th in the 1500 at Eugene on April 24 (4:10.07).

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    [QUOTE=ubiQuitous1;n1693020] After interviewing Shamier Little and watching McLaughlin interview, Little is more poised, upbeat, and excited. it will come down to confidence. Nod to Little.[/QUOTE}
    I have no horse in this race but, IMO, Syd the Kid is the epitome of poise. And, I would not handicap a race on poise.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by dpasv View Post
    McLaughlin's hurdle clearances were in the high 0.3's in this race as opposed to averaging 0.4+ in Doha. Of course, if mid 0.3 clearances (average 0.36 - Mann) and ideal race excursion with hesitation limits, sub-52 should certainly be in the picture.
    Or, they run faster.
    The problem with hurdle-clearance-analyses in the 400H (as opposed to 100/110H) is that a 'crisper' hurdle clearance often uses up more energy than a more relaxed ('soaring') one. You are focused on snapping the legs on entry and exit, which certainly looks better, but you'll pay for that in the final 80m. That's why 400Hers look more 'lackadaisical' than 100/110Hers.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-07-2021, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dpasv
    replied
    McLaughlin's hurdle clearances were in the high 0.3's in this race as opposed to averaging 0.4+ in Doha. Of course, if mid 0.3 clearances (average 0.36 - Mann) and ideal race excursion with hesitation limits, sub-52 should certainly be in the picture.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    The only reason I slightly disagree is that in 2019, it may have been "good", but that couldnt win her gold. McLaughlin was a faster athlete, but that wasn't good enough to beat a better technician. Muhammad isnt in top form now, and we dont know if Little can get to WR pace yet, but if 2019 was any example, her form needs to be top notch or else she can get out leaned for gold.
    Form has little to do with it. Farmer-Patrick had atrocious form and she still ran 52.79 back in 1993.

You need

1. Tremendous 400-flat speed
    2. The ability to take hurdles at top speed
    3. The ability to take hurdles as they come (adjust steps on the fly to the reality of the race).

DM won because she could do this combination better than SM in 2019.

If, by technician, you mean her stride pattern worked out better for her, then absolutely yes. But that, as we have seen over and over, can come and go.
    As I said above, the only one who could bend the race to his will was Moses. He ran 13 strides on good days; he ran 13 strides on bad days; he ran 13 strides when he was phoning it in; he ran 13 strides when he was fighting for OG/WC Gold. That's nice work, if you can get it!

Leave a comment:

• _Jay
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    The only reason I slightly disagree is that in 2019, it may have been "good", but that couldnt win her gold. McLaughlin was a faster athlete, but that wasn't good enough to beat a better technician. Muhammad isnt in top form now, and we dont know if Little can get to WR pace yet, but if 2019 was any example, her form needs to be top notch or else she can get out leaned for gold.
    As usual, stated better than I could’ve. 🎯🎯

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post
    After interviewing Shamier Little and watching McLaughlin interview, Little is more poised, upbeat and excited.
    Little is nowhere near as poised or 'together' as SM. SM has been that way since 16. Little is more ebullient and wears her emotions on her face more. I'm rooting hard for all three of our extraordinary talents to sweep, but I can't see SM losing in Tokyo.

Leave a comment:

• mal
    replied
    She was quite strong, as always. Her 3 rd 100 was great, but she was ragged the last 2 hurdles. Why be able to lead with either leg then chop it back? This was clearly a rust remover.
    IMO her challenge is that every race she runs is for blood. I'd like her to test her limits at least once. Go out hard as heck and see where it lands. Blow herself up for the giggles. You can't do it at training. Well you can, but it doesn't have the same feel.
    Tough to advance and also caretake your legend.

Leave a comment:

• GHM
    replied
    Watch W400mH, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xti0evM1wUo

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    It looks just as good as it did in 2019, when it was already very good.

Leave a comment:

• _Jay
    replied
    Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post
    After interviewing Shamier Little and watching McLaughlin interview, Little is more poised, upbeat and excited. And more importantly confident in her abilities. She is going to be hard to beat.
    McLaughlin....Kersee right there at the end chirping in her ear immediately after the race. ...I can only imagine how much is going through McLaughlin's head during her races and the constant reminder of what she'll have to improve to have a clean race.
    it will come down to confidence. Nod to Little.
    If you can read people based on that, you may be missing out on a career with the CIA. OR this is a burner account for Little. Lol

But If that’s all you’re basing your assessment on, I’d say your way under qualified to make that determination. For either athlete.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Was that the fastest season opener ever?
    Yes, previous was 53.10 by Pechonkina. June 9th 2002

But its still short of the earliest sub 53, which is 52.75 on May 13th by....McLaughlin.
    Last edited by ATK; 06-07-2021, 12:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ubiQuitous1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Sydney McLaughlin has so much talent she is able to run a fast time in her season opener despite not improving her form much due to sprint hurdling earlier in the season and not having run too many 400-meter races. She looked dead fit and, as she said when interviewed, this race was all about shedding the rust. She looked great leaving the backstretch and around the final turn. Once she gets into a regular rhythm, she can get her stride pattern down. Her hurdling technique in the sprint hurdles has improved to a point where she looks like a seasoned vet in that discipline. But I have all but give up hope of seeing her hurdle like a pro in the longer hurdle event. It is a shame because with a perfect race she can break 51 seconds. She is that talented. Great to see her back in her best event.
    Agreed. Went back and looked at Doha semi and finals and then today.....stutter stepping at least once. Reminds me of Kerron Clement....just was never able to get rid of that stutter step and world of talent....not that he didn't have a great career,but always kept you guessing on how he would do.
    also ...so many change of coaches. Floreal(I assume), then Hayes, now Kersee. I assume the change is to find the perfect hurdling rhythm.
    After interviewing Shamier Little and watching McLaughlin interview, Little is more poised, upbeat and excited. And more importantly confident in her abilities. She is going to be hard to beat.
    McLaughlin....Kersee right there at the end chirping in her ear immediately after the race. ...I can only imagine how much is going through McLaughlin's head during her races and the constant reminder of what she'll have to improve to have a clean race.
    it will come down to confidence. Nod to Little.

Leave a comment:

• _Jay
    replied
    It looks just as good as it did in 2019, when it was already very good. She can run a second faster than she did today, so you do the math.

Her stride patterns will keep changing as conditions and fitness dictates. Her super-power is her ability to adapt and take everything . . . in stride.
    I have no doubts she can go sub 52. Thought she had that capability in 2019 as well. The difference between 52.2 and 51.8 in 2019, IMO was....hurdle efficiency on par with Dalilah Muhammad. Lol.

But you’re right. Her technique is very good. She’s already one of the greatest ever, and we’re nitpicking at this point to see her really do some incredible things.
    Last edited by _Jay; 06-07-2021, 12:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by _Jay View Post
    Atticus So, you seem to have above average knowledge of the 400mh. Would you say her form looks better or pretty similar to before.
    And are you predicting a WR, sub 52 at the OGs?? 😳
    It looks just as good as it did in 2019, when it was already very good. She can run a second faster than she did today, so you do the math.

Her stride patterns will keep changing as conditions and fitness dictates. Her super-power is her ability to adapt and take everything . . . in stride.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-06-2021, 11:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X