X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    from press release (BF mine)

[FONT=Calibri]aided by Wavelight Technology in the second half of the race
    All recent distance records have been aided by the technology, including Hassan's
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

All recent distance records have been aided by the technology, including Hassan's
      i was answering the question of higher up in the thread if lights had been used

Comment

Originally posted by dupontred View Post
        Somewhat off topic but I thought the shortest world records were in some pentathlon (1980?) where several women broke the world record after finishing the 800 seconds after each other.
        I believe it was 0.2 seconds in the 1980 Olympic Women's pentathlon.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I believe it was 0.2 seconds in the 1980 Olympic Women's pentathlon.
          Actually 0.4 for Rukavishnikova (and 1.2 by Kuragina), but those records were never ratified. But you can come up with many other examples, such as Vigneron and Bubka breaking the WR within some 15 minutes in the same competition, or even Ewa Gryziecka and Ruth Fuchs setting new marks on the same day in two different countries in one day, some 35 minutes after each other.

Comment

But if we're talking 10k only (for either sex), I believe it is a record.
            Previous shortest held 10K WR male

5 July to 10 July 1993 (5 days)
            Richard Chelimo 27:07.91 – broken by Yobes Ondieki 26:58.38

Previous shortest held 10K WR female

7 August to 19 September 1981 (43 days)
            Olga Bondarenko 32:30.80 – broken by Yelena Sipatova 32:17.20

Comment

The final sentence made me smile.

Gidey, 23, was previously briefly expelled from school for refusing to run in physical education classes.

Comment

Actually 0.4 for Rukavishnikova (and 1.2 by Kuragina), but those records were never ratified. But you can come up with many other examples, such as Vigneron and Bubka breaking the WR within some 15 minutes in the same competition, or even Ewa Gryziecka and Ruth Fuchs setting new marks on the same day in two different countries in one day, some 35 minutes after each other.
                Another was Heide Rosendahl's WR in pentathlon at Munich Olympics, until Mary Peters broke it 1.12 seconds later.

Comment

And Wilkins breaking his own world record twice in 1976 in the same meet. And all ratified.

Comment

Coe's 3:47.33 broke Ovett's WR that was set only 2 days before...which broke Coe's 7 day old mile WR.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

And Wilkins breaking his own world record twice in 1976 in the same meet. And all ratified.
                      Wilkins was 3 tmes.

the year before Karl-Hans Riehm did it 3 times in the hammer (and also broke the existing WR on his other 3 attempts)

Comment

But Gryziecka and Fuchs were unique, I believe, in setting the WR in the same event on the same day in 2 different meets.

Comment

all the races at Ethiopian trials... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1w9p9J5gCo

Comment

If Tokyo goes ahead, and conditions good, I wonder what Hassan and Gidey could achieve if they decided to go for time and agreed to coopetate and alternate the lead for 23 laps, and then they go for for broke for the gold.

Sub 28:50?

Comment

Add the women's 10K final to my must watch list now. I vividly remember the look of disbelief Gidey had when Hassan moved up beside her and then accelerated away during the 2019 World Championships. Gidey's confidence will be sky high but so will Hassan's.

If she and her Team are smart, they will try and run Hassan's speed out of her before the last km. I'm guessing she will go at the 6K mark if the pace is somewhat pedestrian or tactical early on. It may not matter of course since Hassan is capable at any pace.

This is as much a heavy weight tilt as the women's 100 M clash. Can't wait!
                              Last edited by lexvid; 06-09-2021, 02:29 AM. Reason: "It" instead of "ity"

Comment

I notice that two-time defending world champ Muktar Edris finished 4th, as did Hagos Gebrhiwet in the 10,000. Lamecha Girma DNS in M SC, and Wale ran 5000, not steeple. All the results at https://www.atletiek.nu/wedstrijd/st...st/397558/159/. Tsegay won 5000, three under 14:16. U20 Diribe Welteji 3:58.93. Amazing stuff!

Despite Gidey's fabulous times, I don't think she can handle Hassan's turn of speed, just like in Doha. I don't suppose we will see Ayana again, sadly.
                                Cheers,
                                Alan Shank
                                Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X