Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic 50K Walk

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Olympic 50K Walk

    At today's IOC Executive Board meeting, they approved removing the 50K race walk from the program of the 2024 Olympics in Paris, and replacing it with a mixed race walk team event. I don't know if that's gonna be a relay or a team event with all athletes competing together and based on either time or placements, similar to cross-country.

  • #2
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    a mixed race walk team event.
    They really are intent on stupidifying events, aren't they?

    Comment


    • #3
      Is that a mixed-race walk team or a mixed race-walk team? 😉

      Comment


      • #4
        How about a walk the dog relay ? That would certainly be a lot more interesting and fun!

        Comment


        • #5
          Best guess is it will be a 35km with everyone starting together. Add in a team scoring component of some kind. Would be nice if it's done like the Team Champs event and allows 3-4 per nation per gender to race without a ridiculous time standard, like what exists at 50km now.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm totally at a loss to understand why the relate-to-nothing 35K distance has been chosen

            what am I missing here?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gh View Post
              I'm totally at a loss to understand why the relate-to-nothing 35K distance has been chosen

              what am I missing here?
              I'm assuming they chose 35K because that is the middle point between 20K and 50K. But that makes absolutely zero sense to me. The people who enjoy that event tell me that the physical and mental battles that occur between 40K and 50K are what this race is all about!
              Last edited by TWalsh; 06-10-2021, 08:26 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gh View Post
                I'm totally at a loss to understand why the relate-to-nothing 35K distance has been chosen

                what am I missing here?
                Someone decided they would rather kill the men's 50k than allow women to race at that distance at the Olympics. We all have the hills we are willing to die on...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gh View Post
                  I'm totally at a loss to understand why the relate-to-nothing 35K distance has been chosen

                  what am I missing here?
                  My only thinking is that women will mostly finish under 4 hours. Other than that, I'm completely baffled for a rationale, as none as ever been presented from their Ivory Tower.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

                    I'm assuming they chose 35K because that is the middle point between 20K and 50K. But that makes absolutely zero sense to me. The people who enjoy that event tell me that the physical and mental battles that occur between 40K and 50K are what this race is all about!
                    Very accurate. Everything after 35k is mental strength and the ability to defy your own desire to stop.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

                      I'm assuming they chose 35K because that is the middle point between 20K and 50K. But that makes absolutely zero sense to me. The people who enjoy that event tell me that the physical and mental battles that occur between 40K and 50K are what this race is all about!
                      Too short. And why are they even considering a single co-ed race, if the race takes place in a loop? There will be too many people on the course for the officials to follow.

                      The only compromise that might fly with some is to bump it down from 50K to a marathon. A 2K loop 21 times around, and a 195m kick. But no co-ed race; let's give the women their due, having just broken 4 hours for 50K (probably worth 3:30 for a marathon).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Once you're past the 1st few laps, the packs are small enough to judge properly and nothing happens in the early laps anyway. Other logistics like aid tables can be problematic, but as we've seen w/ our marathon trials on loops and with large fields, it can be done without significant issues.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                          At today's IOC Executive Board meeting, they approved removing the 50K race walk from the program of the 2024 Olympics in Paris, and replacing it with a mixed race walk team event. I don't know if that's gonna be a relay or a team event with all athletes competing together and based on either time or placements, similar to cross-country.
                          If IOC's problem with 50k is that it takes too much time, there is no way they will allow a relay, unless it is 4 x 10k.
                          For the same reason, allowing women to walk 50k is also unlikely.
                          Just my very uninformed opinion.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Are they keeping the 20K? I was under the impression that they'd scrap them both (20K and 50K), and go with the single co-ed walk.
                            Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-12-2021, 03:00 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                              Are they keeping the 20K? I was under the impression that they'd scrap them both (20K and 50K), and go with the single co-ed walk.
                              They're keeping the 20K for men and women. My guess is that the 35K team co-ed race will have teams of either 4 or 6 athletes. Scoring could be by time or by place. We don't have any of the details yet.
                              Last edited by TWalsh; 06-12-2021, 03:35 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X