Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's long jump

India finally gets a medal in a global T&F championship. First ever medal! There was a W 400mH 4th place (55.42s in LA OG, missed by .01) and a 4th place finish in the men's 400m in Rome 1960 OG.

Finally the government sponsored Anju George to train abroad and compete in Europe this year. She was in most of the golden league meets and it paid off. Go Anju!!!!

Re: Women's long jump

Given that India is the world's second most populous nation, only behind China, it is about time, and you gotta wonder what kind of impact India might someday make on the world stage of athletics. Congratulations!

Comment

Who would have ever thought that the Long Jump score would be "Indians 1 - Yankees 0" !

Time to call in the cavalry (Major Jones where are you?)!

Comment

Congrats to Anju. Instant admission to the India Athletics Hall of Fame, and probably nationwide front page headlines tomorrow morning from New Delhi to Calcutta.

Comment

Most of the population is still in the rural areas. There are probably 4-5 synthetic tracks in the entire country. When I was in High school back in 1988, there was only ONE synthetic track in the whole counrty (Delhi).

Diet has to be part of it too. Most of the folks are vegetarians. With all the cows there, it is shame people are going hungry. Being a Hindu, it is sacrilegious for me to say that!

Comment

It is coming at the right time too. Actually TODAY, she recieved the 'ARJUNA award' (highest award for athletic accomplishment) from the Indian President, in-absentia! This news will just validate that award.

Comment

>Most of the folks are vegetarians.

Nothing that can't be made up for with supplements. DID I SAY THAT!!!????

Actually people used to always say that the Japanese and Chinese would never get anywhere because they subsist on rice. Tell that to the 200m sprinters this week!!

By the way, we won't tell anybody if you celebrate tonight by eating a Big Mac! I DIDN'T SAY THAT EITHER!!

Comment

I like Marion Jones, but in a way I'm glad she didn't medal, because I'm sick of her being the focus of every track meet. It's really NBC's fault...they are always looking for a hero/superstar....great competition alone is not good enough for them.

Comment

>India finally gets a medal in a global T&F championship. First ever medal!
                  >There was a W 400mH 4th place (55.42s in LA OG, missed by .01) and a 4th place
                  >finish in the men's 400m in Rome 1960 OG.

Finally the government sponsored
                  >Anju George to train abroad and compete in Europe this year. She was in most
                  >of the golden league meets and it paid off. Go Anju!!!!

the results say the russians went 1,2,3, with anju george in 6th place. did something happen to 3 people who beat her that is not on the other board yet?

Comment

At first I thought, "What the hell are you guys talking about?", and then I saw the dateline.

Had to dig pretty deep for this fossil. Just start a new thread next time.
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

>the
                      >results say the russians went 1,2,3, with anju george in 6th place. did
                      >something happen to 3 people who beat her that is not on the other board
                      >yet?

Look at the date of the first posts.

Comment

>I like Marion Jones, but in a way I'm glad she didn't medal, because I'm sick
                        >of her being the focus of every track meet. It's really NBC's fault...they are
                        >always looking for a hero/superstar....great competition alone is not good
                        >enough for them.

A little while ago, NBC actually gave a countdown in minutes until we would see Jones in the LJ. Then they showed her disallowed first jump, went away for a while, and came back for her second. At the rate they are going, they can stretch Marion out for about a full three hours. Makes me ill.

What their concept is, is crap. They just jumped on our "selfish athlete" for testing positive for cannibinol and admitting it just before the 4x400, making Crawford run what was basically a meaningless race. Point is, he admitted it, even though it would have no effect on his eligibility in Athens unless he tested positive for pot again.

No perspective whatsoever in their coverage.

Comment

EXCUSE ME BUT WHERE IS THE LIST MODERATOR????

Everything in this thread that says posted by Randy Treadway was NOT written by me!!!

My handle has been hijacked!!!

Comment

Uh, Randy, check the dates on the posts.

Do you remember all your posts from a year ago? :-)
                            There are no strings on me

Comment

Hey that's not fair- I'm a 'veteran' approaching 50- you expect me to remember something from a year ago! A dirty trick, sticking my ancient words under my nose with my OWN name on it to boot! I LOVE Indians. I had toy Indians when I was a kid. Tonto was my hero!
                              (am I getting anywhere?)

Comment

Working...
                              X