Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ranting & raving on TV commentators

this material pulled from m5K thread

Dwight thinks that Teare's time was close to Pre's best?! Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      13:12 ...54 last lap for Teare...
      I am glad he is more interested in who is the fastest than in who has the most guts.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Poor Dwight. I like him mostly because I remember seeing him compete when I was younger. He was a great showman as well as a competitor and marched to his own drummer with much success. But he's always misidentifying runners, doesn't see a lot of things going on, and often says things that are just wrong. I know this has been discussed a lot, but why aren't there more competent track and field announcers. And I would also say a lot of things have changed since the 70's.

Comment

That's pretty dumb...

Comment

Particularly when he was a 4:05.23 miler in High School 4 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by schigh View Post

Poor Dwight. I like him mostly because I remember seeing him compete when I was younger. He was a great showman as well as a competitor and marched to his own drummer with much success. But he's always misidentifying runners, doesn't see a lot of things going on, and often says things that are just wrong. I know this has been discussed a lot, but why aren't there more competent track and field announcers. And I would also say a lot of things have changed since the 70's.
              I disagree, the number of mis-identified athletes is not very large and they are often corrected. The broadcast is almost always interesting. Remember that these guys are getting a tithe of what the football and basketball announcers are getting for their NCAA commentary. They get paid enough to spend very large amounts of time to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by schigh View Post
                I like Dwight! He's like Michael Jordan in one way: Jordan scored so much cuz he shot so much. Dwight knows way more T&F than anyone else and spouts lots during the broadcast, some hit, some miss. But in the end he's added more valuable commentary than anyone else. He probably shouldn't do the play-by-play for the reasons you mention, but he is by far the best technical commentator around.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

I disagree, the number of mis-identified athletes is not very large and they are often corrected. The broadcast is almost always interesting. Remember that these guys are getting a tithe of what the football and basketball announcers are getting for their NCAA commentary. They get paid enough to spend very large amounts of time to prepare.
                  It's a difficult job for sure. I wonder if they have a spotter. They mentioned Tim Lewis as their stats person, but I wonder if he is in charge of spotting as well.
                  Those hip numbers are hard to pick out sometimes because the kids put them in weird places or are crumpled up and hard to see. To those who haven't done PA or webcast, try it sometime without a spotter and with a last minute released heat sheet which inevitably is changed at the clerk's tent(not so much for NCAAs, but for other non championship events) And gawwd forbid if they have pronunciation issues. Good luck pronouncing Sha'Carry Richardson if you have never spoken to her before
                  Just yesterday he was on the mark about SFA kid coming up fast for 2nd, then changed it to Kentucky, then back to SFA.
                  In women's 10k, he identified Amanda Vestri of Syracuse as Clare O'Brien of Boise State before first segment before going to commercial break. Seemed reasonable given that Syracuse's uniform looked the same as Boise State's from a couple of year's ago. He corrected.
                  I think the only way you can get past this is to watch a lot of track meets. Not sure how the European guys do it....many pro runners have the same uniform and other than their gait, are hard to tell apart. The PA's don't seem to have a problem with it. I'm amazed at McNulty from east regional. He knows them all and goes 4-7 deep on places. I think he does a lot of PA for meets plus a lot of research. Lane races are pretty easy except for relays. Good luck with teams changing relay orders or personnel.
                  Vent over.

Comment

I find the constant change in uniforms to be a problem picking out athletes and schools so it can't be any easier to someone who is trying to call a race. Not only meet to meet but day to day. For instance, NCA&T went from all blue to all yellow over night and, naturally they are lined up in the first event of the day right next to LSU in yellow jersey's but had the good sense to wear blue shorts. In the 5000 Robert Brandt is from Georgetown but Devers and the guy from Mich St were wearing similar unis....at least as appeared on TV. These uniforms were formally (as in a few years ago) very different. So I have no issue with Dwight. I think he does a good job.

Jill Montgomery? That's a different story.

Comment

Dwight is a miserable play-by-play guy but a fine analyst in general. He missed obvious leaders in straightaway races - wave to the camera, Robert Dunning - where uniforms don't have anything to do with the issue. He adds nothing to distance races other than to talk up Oregon runners. adding almost no analysis in races where analysis on strategy is important.

Our problem is we have to live with him because the sport doesn't make money for the networks or makes little money.

And don't get me started on Dan O'Brien.

Comment

I know a separate long thread on TV commentators exists, but this is the first time I've had to mute the TV for long periods of time it's so bad.

They repeat themselves over and over and talk to us like we've never seen a track meet before. Do other sports do this? I've literally never sat through an entire game of another pro sport.

If I have to hear one more time that the Steeplechase "hurdles" don't move when you hit them.......

Comment

He's like Michael Jordan in one way: Jordan scored so much cuz he shot so much.
                          Jordan scored so much because he hit the shots and his team trusted him to hit the shots. Anyone can take shots, you have to hit shots. Dwight misses too many of the shots he takes, especially when the meet is on the oval.

If they were willing to pay for a competent play-by-play guy, Dwight would be relegated to the field event highlights.

Comment

"Ladies and gentlemen, the object of this series of moves is to advance that prolate spheroid 10 yards to achieve what is termed a 'first down', which is neither first nor a down."

Comment

I don't pay much attention to the commentators--except the occasional elite athlete (Felix etc).
                              As for saying Teare was close to Pre's best--he's better!!
                              Pre's best 5000 was 13:22.
                              His best 3 mile was 12:51--probably equal to 13:16 or 13:18 over 5000.
                              How is 13:12 not better than that?

Comment

Working...
                              X