Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post
    Ball 122!
    Do you ever do TV? I know you announce meets pretty regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post

Do you ever do TV? I know you announce meets pretty regularly.
      Speaking of ranting and raving of TV commentators. With the Olympics coming back to Tokyo for the first time since 1964, I think it would be appropriate for NBC to give an apology to the family of the late Dick Bank, for his famous "look at Mills!" on air outburst during the men's 10,000 meters that cost him his job. Bud Palmer was grateful to Bank for interrupting his race call. And the two remained friends for life. NBC could have turned that situation into a positive. But they decided to fire Bank, and turn that whole thing into a negative. I think it would be a classy move by NBC if they acknowledged that epic event 57 years ago in Tokyo, and said some kind words about the prickly Dick Bank.
      Last edited by TWalsh; 07-16-2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
        Speaking of ranting and raving of TV commentators. With the Olympics coming back to Tokyo for the first time since 1964, I think it would be appropriate for NBC to give an apology to the family of the late Dick Bank, for his famous "look at Mills!" on air outburst during the men's 10,000 meters that cost him his job. Bud Palmer was grateful to Bank for interrupting his race call. And the two remained friends for life. NBC could have turned that situation into a positive. But they decided to fire Bank, and turn that whole thing into a negative. I think it would be a classy move by NBC if they acknowledged that epic event 57 years ago in Tokyo. And said some kind words about the prickly Dick Bank.
        That was just before my time, so I just read all about it. What a great story, and yes, NBC needs to acknowledge one of the greatest calls in track history.

Comment

• back in 2015, when the topic came up on the Historical forum, Dick wrote us a letter, which we published at the time

https://web.archive.org/web/20150827...1964-race-call

Comment

• That was great...

After the third day, I found a message when I returned to the Okura Hotel: call Dick Auerbach at the New Otani.

He was having dinner on the top floor.

I said it was Dick Bank, returning his call.

“I have some bad news for you.”

My father had had a heart attack in April 1961, and was confined to our home. He was my first thought. Of course, there would have been a call from my mother.

“From today on, you are no longer working for NBC.”

My response: “So what's the bad news?”

He was an oily guy who didn’t have the guts to tell it to my face.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

Speaking of ranting and raving of TV commentators. With the Olympics coming back to Tokyo for the first time since 1964, I think it would be appropriate for NBC to give an apology to the family of the late Dick Bank, for his famous "look at Mills!" on air outburst during the men's 10,000 meters that cost him his job. Bud Palmer was grateful to Bank for interrupting his race call. And the two remained friends for life. NBC could have turned that situation into a positive. But they decided to fire Bank, and turn that whole thing into a negative. I think it would be a classy move by NBC if they acknowledged that epic event 57 years ago in Tokyo, and said some kind words about the prickly Dick Bank.
              I agree but we have to keep in mind that standards change and thus what may have been considered unprofessional years ago would be perfectly acceptable today just like many other facets of life.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I agree but we have to keep in mind that standards change and thus what may have been considered unprofessional years ago would be perfectly acceptable today just like many other facets of life.
                Bank saved Palmer from looking like a fool....that is what a professional does.

Comment

back in 2015, when the topic came up on the Historical forum, Dick wrote us a letter, which we published at the time
                  Great reminiscence, but this part

As the final two hundred meters of the race unfolded, Bud, for whatever reason, lost sight of Billy Mills. I could see that he was going to win the race and there was not going to be any mention of him until he had crossed the finish line. He was focusing on Clarke and Gammoudi.
                  short-sells Palmer. Palmer had been constantly talking about Mills and what a great race he was having. Watching the video, it is apparent that Bank noticed Mills' kick on the homestretch first, but there's no way Palmer would not have made the call in the next second or two. But to Bank's point, it was his own excitement that made the call memorable.
                  Last edited by Atticus; 07-16-2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• In the European Athletics stream from the U20 Euros, they decided not to show medal ceremonies at all, and are instead showing replays of field event attempts during that time. I totally like the idea!
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                      In the European Athletics stream from the U20 Euros, they decided not to show medal ceremonies at all, and are instead showing replays of field event attempts during that time. I totally like the idea!
                      Ditto for post races interviews, axe those two, field events have always gotten the short end

Comment

back in 2015, when the topic came up on the Historical forum, Dick wrote us a letter, which we published at the time

This is fantastic! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X