Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
    I know a separate long thread on TV commentators exists, but this is the first time I've had to mute the TV for long periods of time it's so bad.

They repeat themselves over and over and talk to us like we've never seen a track meet before. Do other sports do this? I've literally never sat through an entire game of another pro sport.

If I have to hear one more time that the Steeplechase "hurdles" don't move when you hit them.......
    Hit the nail on the head. I finally realized this during this year's coverage....this is the major difference between European and US commentators ..just talk about the races and the athletes in them and what they are doing. They spend half their time educating when most who are watching are fans of t & f.
    also the Europeans jump from one event to another seamlessly to keep the pace of the meet and excitement going.
    Not sure why they use this cookie cutter approach for US coverage.
    Not to open a can of worms,but what's wrong with Dan and Jill? I find their commentary interesting and informative.

Comment

My complaint is when the network is showing an event. Take for example the men's high jump. You would think the guy from LSU was the only one jumping.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
        If I have to hear one more time that the Steeplechase "hurdles" don't move when you hit them.......
        I don't remember which lady it is, but the one who blathers on-an-on about 'Front-end Mechanics' is particularly galling.
        Dwight (and sometimes Dan) can talk to me about technique (and I like when they do); the rest need to just tell us who the people are and what the situation is.

And this is essential, when you interview someone, always ask them these three questions:

1. Talk us through what just happened.
        2. What's your take-away from today?
        3. What's up next?
        Last edited by Atticus; 06-12-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post

Not to open a can of worms,but what's wrong with Dan and Jill? I find their commentary interesting and informative.
          Aside from saying Asher Smith had raced a few hours ago in France? (I didn't know Florence was in France.)
          During women's 10k, Jill went on and on about how distance runners today were doing low volume / high intensity. That's so 90s.
          And she talked endlessly about some specific workouts, which probably came from just one of the athletes or her coach.

Comment

This stuff is going on simultaneously and there is an entire web thread, ESPN3 so if that does not satisfy you, you are too picky (well, maybe you do not have the ESPN3 option). In fact, having the field events and multis on ESPN3 was designed to make things easier. If they are bouncing back and fourth....[

Comment

Originally posted by ubiQuitous1 View Post

Hit the nail on the head. I finally realized this during this year's coverage....this is the major difference between European and US commentators ..just talk about the races and the athletes in them and what they are doing. They spend half their time educating when most who are watching are fans of t & f.
              also the Europeans jump from one event to another seamlessly to keep the pace of the meet and excitement going.
              Not sure why they use this cookie cutter approach for US coverage.
              I find Jill Montgomery just has to say something all the time usually at a volume I could do without during every event. Relax and take a breath or two in between sentences.

Comment

I'm not a fan of ESPN's NCAA/SEC crew(especially Jill Montgomery, who's just terrible, and should have been fired after the Allie Ostrander episode) but it's a small price to pay for several hours of coverage. John Anderson is fine but is wasted on doing the interviews. Swap him and Stones.

Personally I'd be ok if they just piped in the stadium announcer and crowd noise.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I don't remember which lady it is, but the one who blathers on-an-on about 'Front-end Mechanics' is particularly galling.
                  Dwight (and sometimes Dan) can talk to me about technique (and I like when they do); the rest need to just tell us who the people are and what the situation is.

And this is essential, when you interview someone, always ask them these three questions:

1. Talk us through what just happened.
                  2. What's your take-away from today?
                  3. What's up next?
                  I think the front-end and back side mechanics is equivalent to the "running downhill" in football. WTF does that mean? He's running people over and getting good blocking....can't you just say that.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                    Aside from saying Asher Smith had raced a few hours ago in France? (I didn't know Florence was in France.)
                    During women's 10k, Jill went on and on about how distance runners today were doing low volume / high intensity. That's so 90s.
                    And she talked endlessly about some specific workouts, which probably came from just one of the athletes or her coach.
                    Yes, I didn't get that either...who the heck was she talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                      Personally I'd be ok if they just piped in the stadium announcer and crowd noise.
                      Hersh/Davis/Hill could commentate rings around these guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Hersh/Davis/Hill could commentate rings around these guys!
                        The stadium announcers are doing a fine job....

Yes they should just do like Rio and have a live stadium feed...

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post

We have a winner!

Comment

I'm at an age, now, where I'm just glad some track is on TV. The wrong identifiers are a combo of uniform, plus coaching order changes on the relays! I know ESPN is not the BBC! I realize that an American network runs like an American business!

Comment

Could someone tell Jill Montgomery to shut up? The endless droning on about how hard they train and how hard the steeple is, instead of just narrating the race, is too much.

Comment

Montgomery is awful. So many of the comments she makes are incorrect not to mention the sheer volume of words she's putting out is unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X